“Very good overall, with some minor setbacks”

Coco Beach Island Resort
Ranked #15 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Berkeley, California
“Very good overall, with some minor setbacks”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My family of four stayed at Coco Beach for four nights this June. We really enjoyed our visit, but after our last day, we felt that it was time to go, and another day would have been too much.

We stayed in a hilltop room that was 225 steps up from the beach. Although this made going up to the room quite inconvenient, in the beginning it was well worth it because the view was great and the location on the peaceful hilltop was quite nice. Also, the walk up passed through beautiful gardens with plentiful flowers and birds. However, after about the tenth time that we made the journey up to our cabin, it became somewhat of a burden (although, it was a good source of exercise to have on vacation). But once we got to our room, the great view never got old. The room was much better than we expected after seeing many previous Tripadvisor reviews that talked about rooms there being run down. In fact, we thought it was actually quite nice and comfortable for being a cabin in the jungle. All in all, if you are fine with climbing up many steps to your room, then definitely go with the hilltop because the views are amazing.

The rest of the hotel was also nice. The pool, which is something we always look for in a hotel, did not disappoint as it was big, very clean and refreshing, and we spent a lot of time in it.

We ate at the main restaurant for all of our dinners because we found the other options to be relatively expensive. For the most part the food was decent, and given that my family has to eat gluten-free, the people at Coco beach were very accommodating with our allergy requirement.

The beach was good for snorkeling. You have to get out a little ways, past the grass and dead coral, but once you get out there, there is some good stuff to see. Although I recommend that you wear sand shoes or other foot protection at the beach because its not all sand.

The service was quite good. From the service family, who attended to all of our needs, to the waiters who served us our food, everyone was very friendly, and they all tried hard to make our stay the best it could possibly be. For example, they personally remembered all of our names, and made us feel comfortable and welcomed.

Finally, the hotel has many activities and things to do around the resort. We went during the lean season so not everything was going on but I would assume that during the high season, the place would be buzzing with activity. As you can see from the website, there are many things to do around the resort.

Overall, as a result of the service, the room, and the activities, we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank RyanA-C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

It has been a terrible experience... my worst so far...
The rooms are eco which could be great, but no air-conditioning and old fans, no water boiler, no music, no tv, nothing electric basically... a caveman great resort for sure...
The staff is on holiday there, not you... if you need nothing you are well served... even asking for snorkel get you with no fins, and takes a long while...
Nothing is organized from there, no island hoping or anything of any sort...
And the worst of all, if you thought nothing can get worst, the food... overcook alternates withundercooked and bad taste... to the total iindifference of the cook or staff srving there...
AVOID AT ALL COST

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
7 Thank Alain V
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 4 June 2014

One BIG thing: the dives were SUPER GOOD!! Thanks Henry, my divemaster, who always helped me take great photos. The water visibility was excellent and the fish variety was big. I found my lovely seahorses!! I enjoyed the dives so much.

Thanks for the Coco Express; they waited for me even though my alarm clock was out of function and I woke up at the time that they were about to leave Miramar Hotel. Thanks so much for the generous driver!! Big thanks!! the service family was also very special in this kind of beach resort. They were helpful and friendly.

A few issues: it's just TOO HOT to stay in a fan room, and most of the rooms there are fans; the rooms I think are overpriced in PG area. They should be much cheaper, especially the standard room. I paid US $56 for agoda.com for 1 night standard room. When I entered the room I thought it should be half-priced!! How come?? It's so small, rustic and too simple.

I think the Coco beach resort needs to re-consider all prices there. Rooms?? too pricey -- as 99% no air-con.

The spa was great, though -- believe it or not, also there's no air-con.

I want to dive with Coco Divers, but I don't want to pay such a high price for the standard room. So, maybe next time I won't be there any more.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I got a good deal on Dealgrocer and paid only half the price of what it would normally cost to stay at Coco Beach. After I saw the condition of the place I would never pay full price. The setting is beautiful but the place is run down. The deluxe room we stayed in was old and needed a major overhaul. Mattress and pillows were very hard. The room was not air-conditioned and in May this can be unbearable. The staff gave us a second fan but it barely made a difference. The bathroom was in very poor condition and the windows were dirty.

Of the 3 restaurants only one was in operation. The menu caters to the Philippine palate. Hence the food tends to be very bland, oily, lots of fried food. Quality of food needs major improvement. The staff, however, were friendly and we were pleased with the transportation arrangements. The transfer from Berberabe Port worked well. A boat trip to Sabang costs P250 one way during the day, twice the amount in the evening.

The pool area was ok and it provided lots of shade. The only downside was the uncomfortable chairs that can not be adjusted. Snorkeling in front of Coco Beach is not so good. If one wants to see more coral and fish, one must take a boat.

Room Tip: Room 9A has a good view but it takes over 100 stairs to climb. So, older folks or families with youn...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Eleonora_PH
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We spent two days at this resort and had a great time during the day. Enjoyed swimming in the ocean and the two pools. The beach area is small but still nice. The food was good and reasonably priced. The breakfast buffet included in the room charge was plentiful and good. We had a standard room, which is a small bamboo hut attached to other rooms. It was quite hot when we were there and it was very warm in the room, even with the fan on. We were hesitant to leave the windows open as they had no screens and opened right onto the porch - anyone or anything could just come right in. We left the door to the little back porch open for some air and slept under the mosquito nets. All went well until we had a thunderstorm at midnight - the first serious rain they'd had in months. I was awakened first by the thunder and then by rain coming through the roof. My entire bed was soaked within minutes. I tried summoning the cabin attendant by pulling the bell cord, but the storm was so heavy that he obviously couldn't hear the bell. I waited for the storm to slack off a bit and then ventured out in the rain to find someone. They eventually moved me into the next room (which was luckily vacant and dry), while leaving my daughter (whose bed was under a better part of the roof) in the first room. About an hour later, after finally drifting off to sleep, I was awakened again when the electricity went off and a very bright emergency light came on right over my head. Luckily I was tall enough to reach the switch on the light and turn it off but it was not a restful night. In the morning, the staff explained that the cogan roof had become dry over the hot summer months and needed to be replaced, but they hadn't scheduled it yet. At first they suggested moving us to another room in the same section, but I suggested that would not be brilliant as they all needed new roofs. They then moved us to a Deluxe room (at no extra charge), which was a bit larger and had a nice view of the ocean. It was also up about a million steps, but we didn't spend much time going up and down during the day. I had to negotiate for a discount on the first night since they really should not have put anyone in rooms in which the water pours through the roof. They were betting on the rain not arriving for a few weeks yet - but they shouldn't take chances like that with their guests.

We were informed at breakfast that morning, and I think at lunch too, that the owner was having a party for the staff that evening so we should plan to have dinner by 6:30 so the staff could have their party. After an early dinner we retreated to our hot and rather mosquito infested cabin on the hill, and thought we'd read and relax for the rest of the evening. However, at 8:00 pm the VERY LOUD staff party began. They had set up a stage and huge speakers on the beach. So much for a quiet evening! It was so loud at our cabin that I had a headache in the first 20 minutes and couldn't imagine another 4 or 5 hours of this noise. What were they thinking? Not only were they having a loud party (and this is supposed to be a quiet get-away) but resort guests were not invited to this party and there was no service at the main dining room or bar. Finally, I went down and complained to the lonely staff at the front desk who didn't seem to think there was a problem and said "it's only one night." After that I went down on the beach and complained to someone in charge. Eventually, someone offered to move us to one of the air conditioned rooms so that we could shut out the noise. We packed up once again and moved into the new room. Indeed, the a/c did shut out the noise from the beach and we slept pretty well, although again awakened when the power went out and the emergency light came on! Overall, this is a nice resort - and we had a lot of fun during the day, but they evenings were a disaster. The management needs to put a little more thought into customer service.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CarolR_555
Warren, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We went to coco beach two days after our wedding in Bulacan. We came from the US, and decided to have our wedding in the Philippines. Prior to our trip, I've looked up resorts that we can go to. We found coco beach, and I tell you what...It's one of the best choices I've ever made. The resort is very guest friendly, the location protects the guest from annoying hawkers and vendors. The resort set a standard amount for the boats, so the boatmen are competing in terms of service and friendliness so you can give them extra tip if you want, but in no time did they try to lasso us into paying more. Our boatman Elmer, is one decent, patient dude. We snorkeled for hours, and had the best time ever. The staff at the resort has pride in their work and made the guest feel appreciated and welcomed. Everyone is so dang friendly, it's so hard to leave them. Don't look for state of the art amenities and comfort, as this is an island, and power supply is very limited, but the resort makes up for it in activities. I see complaints about reaching the island by boat, but to us, that's a plus since we get the serenity and the feeling of away-from-it-all sensation.

Room Tip: If you are not fit, and is not up to physical exertions, don't get the huts on top of the hill a...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julia R
Smithfield, Australia
Reviewed 13 May 2014 via mobile

This resort leaves you feeling hot and cold in equal measure. Welcoming waiters; when you can find one. Great bar staff; when you choose to acknowledge you. Wonderful design-concept rooms; if they were maintained. I guess beauty (and value) are in the eye of the beholder and my judgement this time is that the value just wasn't there.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends