“Nice place at great value”

Coco Beach Island Resort
Ranked #21 of 54 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 23 May 2006

My husband and I loved our stay at Coco Beach. Rooms were unique giving us a feel of what rural Philippines is, although, some may find it hot like my hubby did. We stayed at one of the deluxe rooms. Very affordable value - the package/accommodation, the food, the services like the massage, etc. And the staff were very friendly and accommodating. We will surely go back next summer!!! :)

• Stayed: May 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 19 May 2006

Rooms -
Interesting architecture. We opted for Heritage room (because of the air conditioner) although the other cottages by the hills sure have a nice view of the ocean (didn't see the interior though). Heritage room does not have a view, but is huge and nicely decorate, perfect for a group/family and can accomodate up to 7 adults (if you don't mind sharing one bathroom). It contains 2 full beds in the attic, 1 full bed in the main floor and 1 L-type lounge that can be used as another bed. Although, it's not easy to climb the stairs to the attic especially for little kids or seniors. Overall, I'll rate the accomodation/room 4-stars.

Beach -
The beach front of Coco Beach is not ideal for swimming. It's rocky and has a lot of seaweeds. Some resorts in Puerto Galera (e.g. White beach) has a better beach area for swimming. The good thing about Coco Beach though, is they provide boat transportation to other nicer beach area (leaves Coco at 9:30 am) which will give you a chance to explore different areas for snorkeling. Puerto Galera has nice beaches with crystal clear water, but the shoreline is nothing compared to Boracay or Panglao.

Facilities -
Nice pool, including a slide and the kiddie pool. The kids had a great time. The silent pool is also nice, with a perfect view of the ocean. The only downside is they don't open the pool until 9:00 am. The gym is located on top of the hill (near the silent pool) but contains no cardio equipment (weights only)...who need it anyway? The steps towards the gym is already good cardio workout.

Food -
Food is okay, not a lot of options though, mostly filipino food (with some pasta dishes and sandwiches). By the 3rd day, we basically tried everything in the menu. They have several restaurants, but they share the same menu. The price is expensive by Philippine standard but you won't have a choice, because you can't really go anywhere else.

Staff-
For most cases, they are nice and accomodating considering they don't really have formal hotel training. Although, it's hard to find one person that can answer all your questions about the daily activities, schedule, etc. Seems like you get different information depending who you talk to. Also, not everybody can speak fluent english.

Transportation-
The Coco express is the way to go. Very convenient, left Manila at 6:30 am, and arrived at Coco Beach a little before 11:00.

Overall -
It was a good experience, we had fun! I was disappointed with the beach front, but the facilities and the rooms made up for it. But hey, for the price of 1/3 of a Boracay/Panglao package, I'm not complaining.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed 2 March 2006

Coco Beach was just the best place to be. It was so relaxing and only a few hours away from Manila! Away from most tourists (who tend to travel to more palces overe populated by tourists like Boracay or Cebu), it is a wonderful little haven.The "bahay kubo" or bamboo huts were wonderful,the scenery and food are fantastic, and the activities you can do there are varied and numerous enough to satisfy anyone's interests! You can do jungle treks, visit the Mangyan natives in the mountains, get massaged (for about US$8)see the waterfalls,take cooking lessons,etc. Waking up every morning wasn't a chore, it was a blessing!

Scuba diving there is great! The prices are the cheapestI've seen anywhere, and the instructors speak a number of different languages.The boat ride back to Manila was rewarding enough by itself, seeing wild dolphins swim right beside our boat!

Only one downside- the water is a bit hard, understandably because it is on an island that has not been developed like major cities. Bring your own shampoo and soap that will help soften your hair, or get it shampooed (for VERY CHEAP) at the salon.

• Stayed: May 2005
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
philippines
Reviewed 30 December 2005

i brought my fiance and two other friends to cocobeach and WE just love it there!!! Originally we planned to stay for an overnight but when we saw the place, we all agreed to spend another night in what we call a cool paradise for us! what u see in the internet is what u really get (thats where i actually learned about cocobeach). Great food, great views and great staff...GREAT PLACE! the prices are affordable and worth your visit! oh well, just dont forget to bring an off-lotion. it will surely be a great help especially at night. and by the way, make sure you are ready for a 215 steps going upstairs to your room if you prefer a very good view! I immediately missed this place when i went back to manila and how i wish i spent more days there with my fiance but ive to go back to work already...too bad!

i am a beach lover trust me! I will definitely go back there soon! and i recommend it to all...go there to believe! you won't regret!

• Stayed: August 2005
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
manila
Reviewed 2 November 2005

Today is Nov. 02, 2005. It was only 2 days ago when my boyfriend & i came back from a 3 days/2 nights stay at the coco beach resort..(we were there from Oct. 29 to Oct. 31)...the staffs are very accomodating and friendly. They really made us feel at home! The view from our banana deluxe room (although its 132 steps going up) are fantastic...sight of the mountains surrounding the water made us feel very close to nature. My boyfriend ang i really had a great time...everything is almost perfect except for one thing, they don't have fresh water in their bathroom...you need to sacrifice a little for this...anyway, it's not really much of a problem.
On the other hand, foods are great, they have reasonable prices! It's really a paradise for me & my boyfriend. I hope to get back to this place soon...and i will make sure that my stay wouldn't only be a 3days/2nights but longer! =)

• Stayed: October 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Manila
Reviewed 26 June 2005

Ive been in Cocobeach last May 2004. I bring with me my fiance(who came from the U.S. and my brother. It was recommended to me by my friend who owns a travelling agency. SHe told me that it was a great resort but i was so disappointed with the result. Even my fiance hate the place because of water, the people and the food. They dont have fresh water and the people who work for them are not that friendly. They are not that very accomodating to us. You can see that they are bias. They only serve well the foreign guest but not the locals. They must remember that we went there and we pay the same as those foreigners so we want fair service. Next time we will try La Laguna in Puerto Galera also.

• Stayed: May 2004
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Stavern, Norway
Reviewed 15 March 2005

My husband and I just arrived home after 15 days in Paradise!!!
Coco Beach is the most wonderful place to be if you just want the pure, simple, relaxed, friendly, beautiful "next to nature" life. What it lacks in comfort is compensated with all the hospitality you can imagine! And with 101 activities, it's no reason to be bored.

We've already decided to go back - for the third time - next year. Then we'll be about 12 people all together - family and friends - to spend som days in this lovely resort.

This is a place we'll highly recommend if you want to be spoiled by - peace and quiet, beautiful nature, unique hospitality from people that really care about you having a good time!

We just can't wait to meet our Filppino friends at Coco Beach again!!!

• Stayed: March 2005