“Very very nice room... but....”
Review of Lalaguna Villas

Lalaguna Villas
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Manila, Philippines
“Very very nice room... but....”
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Pros.
1. The room (executive suite) - very very nice. Great view, tidy inside, big, nice tv etc. Cost about 5500 per night for exec suite, with additional vat and credit card charges.
2. Location - its on little laguna beach, which I would highly recomend vs staying in Sabang properly - its about 5-10 minutes walk along the beach path, so get a porter if you have a bag, but its easy to go into town and a little quiter.

Cons. Unfortunately - Everything else.

- Facilities - there isnt really anything - no pool, no restaurant, etc, which is something all the other places have. Whats worse is you can see next doors' 2 pools from the room so you know what you are missing!
- Access. Its down a fairly dingy set of alleys, and the place looks like a construction site. There is some limited noise from this.
- Security. A group of friends turned up unnanounced at 2am (which was fine), but the security guard (if he was there) just let them through without any questions.
- Steps. The nice rooms are all up a lot of steps. Fine for me, but anyone unfit would struggle.
- Booking/Payment. First I had issues using the online booking system to pay a deposit. And then on the last day, their credit card machine didnt work and they had no back-up. I spent an hour running around with them trying to find a solution, nearly missed my boat and left without paying, I then had to make a special trip to a local bank to put a cash deposit into their account. Simple basics of a hotel, make it easy for people to pay.
- towels - skungy looking old brown towels, they didnt smell fresh, and one fell apart and covered me with brown fluff after a shower. I was left looking like a grizzly bear.

Over-all, there are lots of good places to stay, I'd be reluctant to go back, even though the room was very nice.

Room Tip: Ask for the executive rooms with balconies, but only if you are happy with steps!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank 797JamesS
Danielle T, Manager at Lalaguna Villas, responded to this review, 2 May 2013
James makes some fair points, but I need to elaborate on others.

Location: We agree the location is far superior than staying within Sabang. But no porter is required, our staff will meet you and carry your bags.

Facilities: our pool is under construction, as disclosed on our website; when complete it will be as good as any in the region. In the meantime we provide a complimentary shuttle service to use the excellent pool at Coco Beach resort. (A similar-sized room "next door" with inferior amenities cost an extra P500/night.) We have no restaurant as we are surrounded by several, and offer an extensive room service food menu.

Access: agreed, and will be completely upgraded when construction plans are approved.

Security: James is mistaken. We take security very seriously, with 2 night guards and 1 daytime, backed by CCTV. On the night in question, James returned to the resort with his 3 companions at 3:12am; names and IDs are recorded in our logbook.

Steps: True at present, but our plans include an elevator. We have very nice Beach Villa rooms at the front with minimal stairs.

Payment: There was a problem with the on-line booking system, which was fixed within hours of James report. Nonetheless we accepted his booking without deposit, despite being our last available room at Easter. Upon checkout, unfortunately our local bank was off-line, affecting all their users. We should have simply taken James' card number and processed payment later, but as we had no deposit our staff were incorrectly overly conservative. We do accept Paypal, which would have been an easy alternative.

Towels: The large brown towels are brand new, high-quality pure cotton; apparently, they should have been washed a few more times before using, to remove any fluff. We provide 2 such bathsheets and 2 conventional sized (fluff-free!) towels per bathroom. Sorry Yogi. :)

We do hope you will consider us when next you visit the area, at which time I am sure you will find no repeat of the problems you noted.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Myself and my family stayed at Lalaguna Villas soon after management parted ways with the neighbouring Out Of The Blue Resort. Although our room was physically located on the Out Of The Blue side of the fence, the room itself is owned and managed by Lalaguna Villas. Expertly run, these guys have taken the best parts of Out Of The Blue but raised the bar to an even higher level. LLV management pays attention to the little, but important things, which made our stay an absolute joy. We traveled to the resort as a family of four with two teenage kids and enjoyed every moment of our stay. The resort is well located, close to Sabang (about a ten minute pleasant beach walk) but far enough away from the hustle and bustle. We enjoyed some great snorkeling at nearby Big Laguna beach (about a five minute walk) and hired a small boat to enjoy even better snorkeling at Coral garden (about a fifteen minute boat ride). We also spent a day at White Beach and our boat driver took us to a few private beaches along the way, just beautiful. I highly recommend a trip to Puerto Galera, and especially Lalaguna Villas. This resort is still a yet to be discovered gem with a very bright and promising future ahead...

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SeasonedTraveler1168
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 January 2013

This is my second stay at Lalaguna Villas and the changes and improvements I experienced on this occasion were great. I stayed in a one-bedroom Villa which boasted magnificent sea-views and a delightful sea-breeze. The booking and check-in procedures were prompt and efficient, the staff were waiting to greet me upon my arrival and whisk me to my Villa with minimal fuss. The quality of the appliances within the room are excellent. The attention to detail the management provide made my stay more than comfortable. Upon speaking to the staff I was informed that the resort is under development with plans for a swimming pool, gymnasium, day spa and even more Villas. I am already looking forward to my next stay here!!

Room Tip: With a variety of rooms to choose from ask the staff to recommend a room to suit your budget and req...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo