Coral garden in Puerto Gallera turned out to be a fantastic snorkelling experience... Here's why...
1) Shallow waters - this is a pretty large expanse of water, but shallow. Hence al lthrough, the coral and fish were within a meter of me, making it great for close up watching.
2) Abundant and colourful fish - we saw fish of all hues, colours, shapes and sizes. Lots of angel fish, colourful parrot fish nibbling on the coral, cardinals floating around royally with their " topgear" - and loads more. There were always a pair of anemone fish (sometimes mama, papa and kid!) that would turn up.
3) Live coral
Despite being so close to Puerto Gallera, the coral here wer alive, lots of thorn coral - blue nad reddish in colour
4) Few tourists
Again, despite being so close to PG, there were very few tourists int eh water, hence I could swim and snorkel as and where I pleased!
How to reach / cost?
We took a bangka from Sabang beach - you can chalk out your own itinerary. Some bangka captains have a colourful card so that you can choose what you like more. I just told mine to take me to the best snorkeling spots. It cost me 1800 pesos, for the whole day, including snorkel masks, fins and lifevest, sans food (returned at 3 pm) - but I am sure you can bargain it lower.
* The water tends to be cold, hence I kept feeling like peeing and had to interrupt my snorkeling every 60 minutes to return and pee. My suggestion? Wear a wet suit or full sleeves clothes so that you can enjoy the snorkelling for longer without discomfort
* There is a CR (washroom) on the beach closeby (keep change handy - it costs 10 pesos to use)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- We offer deluxe rooms, beachfront accommodation, bar, grill and party place. New modern rooms, air-conditioned, fan, WC-Douche, LED-TV, free WIFI, and fully green powered with solar system. We are the first resort to be fully ecological and independent, with a 20KW solar installation and rainwater tanks of 100,000 liters. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Coral Garden Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.