“Peaceful home from home”

Portofino Beach Resort
Ranked #40 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed 7 May 2010

My family and friends are very regular visitors to PG (UK ex-pat in Manila). The Portofino is THE place we choose to stay in PG. It’s on Small La Laguna Beach which is the “Goldilocks” location not too far from the nightlife of Sabang but far enough away to enjoy peaceful daytime relaxation and nice views.

The rooms are really apartment units that are owned (I think) by different people. So the “rooms” are really big enough to live in with separate lounge/bedrooms etc and most have their own balcony too. So it’s like having your own holiday home at the beach instead of just staying in a standard hotel room. The rooms having separate owners and have variable standards of maintenance/refurb/finishing touches but are good value for the size/price point.

Very big factors for me in choosing the Portofino are the excellent food, staff and atmosphere they create. It’s a home from home where you can treat the place and get treated as resident not just another nameless guest in a hotel. If like my wife you want a particular fish for lunch tomorrow the staff will pick it up for you at the market on their way to work and the chef will cook it. It’s not a problem just ask and make yourself at home. As a diver I like the fact it’s right by Asia Divers which is the biggest/best dive outfit in town.

If you’re looking for a quiet/secure laid-back base of operations with a big room and good food this is a great choice.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank talk2mrjones
There are newer reviews for Portofino Beach Resort

Reviewed 17 February 2010

Everything here exceeded our expectations. The staff is all very friendly and helpful. The property manager, Bill, went out of his way to assist us. It is right on the beach, with a beautiful view. The bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept in in months. All of these wonderful attributes helped us overlook some small inconveniences, such as no toilet paper in either bathroom and a 'less than spectacular' shower. I would highly recommend this place and we hope to return to it when we have more time to spend here.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank nederdeb
Reviewed 18 January 2010

I stayed at Portofino for 5 days in November whilst doing my PADI Open Water dive course at AB Wonderdive next door.

I didn't book in advance, instead I negotiated the price on arrival and paid PHP1,500 per night for 5 nights w/o b/fast for a double room with kitchenette at the back of the building.

The rooms are a little old and in need of renovation, but they are clean and functional and for the price you pay they are fine for solo traveller or couple who dont mind. the pool is small but it's nice to have one, and the food is good (especially the fajitas!) and reasonably cheap. there are cheaper places in Sabang but Portofino is a good choice for a mid-range option if you are not too picky.

Rooms at the back are a bad place to be if the electricity goes, as the generator is at the back of the hotel...

For your diving needs, I must recommend AB Wonderdive next door.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank GerardWh
Reviewed 11 January 2010

I would like to commend the staff of Portofino, Puerto Galera, Philippines, for the great service they showed us during my in-laws, grand wedding anniversary and grand reuinion last December 28 to January 1. The hotel was clean, the food was great!! Rooms were regularly cleaned up and the safety of the things were secured. My family had a memorable experience in this hotel.

Kudos to the owner and staff of Portofino.

• Stayed: December 2009
Reviewed 28 December 2009

We stayed at Portofino on a 4 diving trip at the end of September (the off season). The resort was obviously very nice about 10 years ago, but it appears that very little maintenance has been done to keep the rooms up to date, so that the resort seems quite dated. The pool is very small, but nice.

My main comments about this resort would be that the service is very slow and quite unprofessional, and the resort does not look after its guests particularly well. For the first three mornings we were there, we were awoken at 8 am by a generator about 4 feet from our room, which meant we had no choice but to get up and leave our room, as it was incredibly loud, and did not stop til after 9pm. This was apparently because there were power cuts on the island, but as the resort was almost completely empty while we were there, it was very strange that they did not offer to move us to avoid the noise.

The staff are very lax - the owner lives part time at the resort, and while we were there we watched all the staff watching TV, drinking at the bar, even letting naked babies sit on the eating area of the bar (all while guests were in the restaurant and around the pool), until the owner appeared, when they all disappeared off to look busy. Breakfast (which was included) always took at least 40 minutes, and my husband had food poisoning at the restaurant, so we ate all our subsequent meals at the Blue Moon next door and elsewhere.

Overall, I dont think we will return to Puerto Galera - it may have been a great diving spot in the past, but there are many other better spots in the Philippines for diving, and the amusements and accomodation ashore were definitely not as good as we expected.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank liv0007
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Portifino is on Little Sabang Beach, a 10 min walk from the nightlife and noise of Big Sabang Beach. For divers who would rather spend their energy diving it is absolutely the best spot in Sabang.

First, the physical plant is excellent. The restaurant and bar surround a lovely pool and waterfall that provides lovely views but is still isolated from the beach/street vendors that frequent Sabang. The basic rooms are quite nice but the one bedroom units which we prefer are absolutely wonderful.

Next door is Action Divers, a full service dive operation with a stable, knowledgable staff. There are three dives a day scheduled with the boat returning to the Portifino after each dive.

From Manila, Portifino/Action Divers offers a custom taxi/boat service that will get you safely to the resort with no hassel. The management will handle all details from your arrival at Manila Airport to your return. (I do not recommend public transportation especially while toting dive gear)

All this is for $72 per day double occupancy on a dive/stay package that includes 2 dives per day. Breakfast is included and lunch and dinner at the Portifino are about 295-395 pesos each (6-8USD)

As for the diving, I let my pictures tell the story

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2009

Stayed there for 2 days and really enjoyed everything. Great food friendly staff and nice loaction. A 10 min stroll from Sabang Pier and directly on the water.....Only set back I could think of is there is no direct beach infront of the hotel, but that the same pretty mach along sabang & Laguna beach........

Met up with their General Manager Chuck and had a pleasant talk. He was very polite and took time to explain the area and gave tips on what to do........Chuck if you read this, thanks for everything. We ended up at the Sandbar as you suggested it and it was amazing......thanks again....

This is the right place to stay in Puerto galera and I certainly will be back at the portofino soon.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
#2 of 52 in Puerto Galera
Mermaid Resort
Mermaid Resort
#16 of 52 in Puerto Galera

Been to Portofino Beach Resort? Share your experiences!