We've stayed a few times now at the Mermaid Resort. The rooms, the resort, are always clean. Air con amazing and great water use. We travel with our youngest child and our nanny when we go. We get a two room place and it has a nice sitting area with a great big window overlooking the pool. The down sides for me are the noise from the pool table if you have a roudy all night group going. The room we stay in is right over it. The food is ok. Not great and not terrible. It is off the beach so away from the clubs. You do hear street traffic especially in the early morning when everyone is coming in.
The staff is very nice and polite. We've never had a problem.
As to the money thing. Yes it is quoted in US dollars. No, we can't reserve with our credit card. We can't reserve a flight on the major airlines either with a card from home. It has to do with fraud. Painful yes but, we use PayPal and so we do have some recourse if we ever needed it but, we have not. Even when it comes to exchanging money, which is arbitrary in many countries unless it is at the bank, the staff directs us to where we get the most PhP for our dollar. We've used our credit card to give final payment. Credit cards cost the owner about 3% so many places add it around the globe, even a few places here in the US. Ever notice the cash or credit price differences at the gas pump? Out bank and the Philipine banks charge a conversion fee. At some of the major stores there is an option to get your charge in Pesos, USD, or Euros. That's to avoid the conversion charge.
We missed diving for a big Typhoon. Our package was prepaid so we received a credit voucher for the dives we did not make. This does mean we need to return for the diving but I just returned from Key Largo and guess what their policy is if you miss prepaid dives due to weather? Yup, you get a voucher to come back and do those dives.
Well, we returned for those dives and they were as amazing as all the others. Some sites are definitely better than others but as a whole, this is the beast place we've been. The dive masters are amazing at finding all sorts of critters everywhere. They're friendly, responsible, and good at what they do. We're planning our next trip and it will be with Mermaid!
They aren't the most luxurious place in the Philippines to stay but they are certainly above average in every way.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Mermaid Resort Puerto Galera is the finest dive resort in Sabang, Puerto Galera. The waters around have been dubbed the center of the center of marine biodiversity in the world. Mermaid Resort features 40 large guest rooms and suites -- all exclusively furnished with the comforts of a modern hotel resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Agoda, Expedia, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Booking.com so you can book your Mermaid Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mermaid Hotel Puerto Galera
- Mermaid Resort Puerto Galera