“Terrible Service”

Ranked #16 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Taiwan
“Terrible Service”
Reviewed 11 June 2008

I have stayed at the Mermaid Resort Hotel about two weeks ago. In the past I stayed at a different resort in Puerto Galera but this time I thought why not try out the Mermaid Resort because it really looked nice. The rooms are simple but nice and for $52 a night it's a pretty good deal but that was basically the only thing that was good about the hotel. Me as a five-star hotel manager expect a certain kind of service which I totally missed at the Mermaid Resort. I don't expect high standards of luxury but friendly staff, yes that is a thing I would expect. To give you a couple of examples why the staff was so unfriendly and unhelpfull.

I have booked two rooms for six days but something came up in the meantime so I had to shorter my stay to five days. I already paid everything is advance when I checked in and then they told me that is your problem sir if you want to leave one day earlier. So, I basically lost one day and could say goodbye to my US$52.
Then on the day of the departure I told them one hour in advance that I would like to check-out both of the rooms. They said to me no problem. One hour later when I checked out they told me I could not pay by credit card so I had to run to the western union to get more money and when I finally did check-out they came running after me because I still needed to pay for the other room and I did really mention it to them that I would like to check-out two of the rooms. With all this hassle I barely made it on time for the last boat back to Batangaz. Besdide this a nice goodmorning or evening or even friendly smile on the staff faces is parently hard to say or difficult to see.

When you do stay at this resort please make sure you only book the room without breakfast or dinner. I have found a really nice restaurant that's just opposite the resort called T-Zone. The French Chef up there makes some awesome and finger licking food. Please make sure you try the cheeseburger (one of the best I had since ages) or his delicous French Boeuf Bourgunion.
The prices in the restaurant are a good value for money and the staff is "oh so friendly" up there. The owner is very flexible and nothing is too much for him. I asked him if he could make me a proper breakfast and even though it was not on the menu; he said sure no problem and it was delicious.
So, next time I would not stay at the Mermaid Resort anymore but I will go back to the restaurant called T-Zone.

• Liked — Swimming Pool
  • Disliked — Service
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled with friends
3 Thank hotelmanagerTaiwan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Korean first
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2008

We noticed the Mermaid as we drove down the small road into Sabang, and it stood out as being clean & new, with a nice layout. The prices seemed about right for the area and we paid about US$50 on a walk in rate.
The location is not exactly beach-front, but the beach is so near, we appreciated the fact you could actually retreat from the go-go bars & discos.
There was no immediate parking, although the manager did allow us to put our motorcycle in his private driveway. The staff were very friendly & efficient, and the rooms very spacious with many amenities (inc DVD). The walk in shower was spotless, which made a nice change from most we found.
We had a standard room, although a rooftop suite with jacuzzi was available at what we thought was not too much extra.
We didn't eat here although the menu looked good, and the bar prices were reasonable.
Sabang is a back-packers rite of passage, and maybe the Mermaid would be a little too up-market if you are in that category, however for the more seasoned tourist, its an ideal choice.

• Liked — Spotlessly clean. Nice staff.
  • Disliked — Lack of immediate parking (esp. for cars).
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Russ-McD
Pacifica, California
Reviewed 16 February 2008

I stayed at the Mermaid with a large group of co-workers. We had been planning to stay somewhere else, but it turned out to be a dump so we left. The Memaid had enough rooms for us, so that's why we chose to stay there.

The rooms were clean and the staff was courteous. It is close to restaurants and shops. However, the closest beach is about three quarters of a mile away. It's a really long walk and you can't drive there.

The view out of our room was of a row of run-down houses.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Location
  • Stayed April 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank omahanetraveler
L.A, CA
Reviewed 13 November 2007

I really never made it to this hotel. There was no automated way to book the hotel directly from their website, so I used a booking service to make my reservation. I put down a sizeable deposit.

I then heard from the hotel that I did not have a reservation, as some of my requested nights were already booked and that I would have to book directly through them....at a higher price than either the booking service or their website quoted.

They left it up to me to haggle with their reservation company to try to get my deposit back.

Also, they would not accept a credit card deposit from me. They demanded a large (over $100) peso deposit. This deposit had to be sent as a money transfer from Western Union to a Filipino woman, presumably in Puerto Galera.

I explained that there was a hefty charge to send the transfer, plus dollars had to be converted to pesos by Western Union, which they also took a healthy cut on. Therefore, it was over $20 just to book the hotel, plus they had my cash, and I had no recourse if they decided not honor my reservaton.

They basically told me to take it or leave it. I would have loved to stay at the hotel, but since they have the most unreasonable reservation policy of any of the 100's of hotels I have stayed at in the world, I decided to stay elsewhere.

Stayed October 2007
9 Thank Alkers
London
Reviewed 28 June 2007

My girlfriend and i spent 7 days at the mermaid resort, we had only planned to stay there 5 days but we felt so comfortable we didnt want to leave. The mermaid resort is a small but elegant looking resort with all the amunities you could need. I had arranged all via internet including the transportation , some say that the transportaion was over priced but... if u want easy of mind, and things to run smooth as clock work, its worth it. we were picked up by mermaid in manila exactly on time the driver was friendly and the van was new comfortable and a/c and we felt relaxed. A 3 hour journey took us to batanags where we had our own boat waitng for us with again friendly and helpful staff. An hr on the boat which was a pleasent journey took us to puerto galera. sabang isnt much to see in its self but if u dont mind taking a jeepney ride to neigbouring beaches its great. our luggage was carried the 5 mins walk from the beach to mermaid resort where we were greeted by friendly staff, we were taken to our room and were pleasently suprised to see the room, we had chosen the pool suite it was a massive sized room, with seating area two double beds (although we didnt need that) flat screen tv and dvd player (multi regional) a huge bath tub that could fit 3 ppls , key coded safey box and a pool right outside our door. For the price i saw nothing else like it! this cost £33 per night $75 or 3.300 piso per night just excellent value! we did check out other resorts to see waht they offerd and nothing came close although if u really want a room on sea front then i would look at others, but sabang beach is not really a great scene. The service was great and the food too we did go out for food a few nights and there are some nice places but u have to fight the moses and i rather eat in a a/c room. The pool on arrival was not clean and we didnt want to go for a swim but next morning it was being cleaned and after that it was great to swim at night. there isnt a great deal to do in puerto galera if you are a night owl and need to party this isnt the place for you, although there are a few bars disco, gogo bar and karaoke its pretty quiet which is great if u just want to relax like myself the mermaid resort arranges day tours which take u to the sights of puerto if you are a nature lover you will enjoy this, swiming in a lagoon was great but freezzzing!!!!! lol. All in all it was a great experiance, would i return?? well... i am going back to phill next yr, but might go boracay or palawan. If only i could take the mermaid resort with me :))

On the way back my gf decided to cancel mermaids transportaion saying to was too expensive, and we went to locals they told me it would cost 2.500 piso but wanted 500 up front without going into it too much i found all of this hassle and they didint tell us that it didnt include the boat fee so we had to pay another 340 piso, they wanted to be tipped for carrying out luggage another 150 piso, when we reached batagas we were greeted by van driver and some other guy who insisted he get us some cold drinks and i agreed the bottom line is we didnt feel comfortable the van was not of high standandrs and my gf got paranoid whilst we were in van and had the driver stop and check out luggage was there. We paid £55 for transportation with mermaid and though the locals got it to us for around £30 i had more peace of mind with mermaid (if anything does go wrong atleast u can hold them liable)

• Liked — the room and the price
  • Disliked — there was some building work going on, and was noisey but was stopped
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
4 Thank fightingspirit30
Denmark
Reviewed 21 May 2007

The Mermaid Resort is a small, but clean and nice family-owned resort/hotel with excellent rooms, pleasant, helpful staff and good food. I spent 10 days in Puerto Galera, and from what I saw, this would be the place to stay, if you want cleanliness and a European standard in rooms (the owners are Scandinavian).

The resort has just recently finished a penthouse section with excellent view of the sea, outdoor jacuzzi in private area, marble bathroom etc. i could easily see myself spend a week or two with a loved one here...

Stayed April 2007
5 Thank Courage30
Los Angeles
Reviewed 7 September 2006

I found everyone completely responsive. We obtained a boat from the hotel at a reasonable price to make the crossing from Batangas. We also arranged through the hotel at a reasonable price for a boat to go on a picnic. The crew was great. I'm surprised to hear ratings lower than Excellent. I am writing this as I am preparing to return this month.

• Liked — Their willingness to help.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Tips/Secrets — Some reviewer's have inflated expectations.
  • Stayed June 2005, travelled with friends