“Needs significant improvement, no value-added facilities, and a rat that fell twice to cap it all off”
Review of Buri Resort & Spa

Buri Resort & Spa
Ranked #12 of 54 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My partner gave me as a Christmas gift a voucher for Buri Resort from Deal Grocer as it is tagged a "luxury resort." I got excited because I have not been to Puerto Galera and I thought staying in a posh resort in a place that many consider "poor man's Boracay" is an excuse to brave the inconvenience of going there (2 hour drive plus an hour waiting for the boat, and a 75-minute boat ride).

Reservation - So I booked my voucher on January 14 for an overnight stay for May 18. The Manila office promptly sent me thru email a reservation confirmation. When I called on May 15 to re-confirm and ask for boat instructions, I was shocked when the staff couldn't find my reservation and advised me to reschedule as they're fully booked that weekend. I did not budge and sent them the reservation form they sent me last January even if they offered us a free upgrade if we moved our stay a week later. After a day of calls, thankfully, the resort staff were able to arrange something and confirmed our stay.

Arrival - After a chaotic experience at the Port of Batangas, we were finally on the boat to Muelle Port where we'd be picked up by Buri's boat. Upon arrival in Muelle, we were made to wait for 10 minutes as the boat brought another group to the resort. After waiting for 10 minutes and a 5 minute boat ride, we finally arrived at Buri Resort - 5.5 hours after we left Makati at 6:30am that morning.

- Upon arrival, our bags were carried by their crew who directed us to the restaurant where we were welcomed by Helen, the resort's resident manager. After the requisite registration, cold towels, and welcome drinks, we were escorted to our room - the basic garden villa - Vanda.

Room/Villa - The voucher was only for the basic garden villa so that's the only room I could review. And in this case, it seems overpriced:
- There's no TV in the room (for a PhP 5,000-PhP 6,000 worth, there's no TV!),
- No toiletries except shampoo, conditioner, and two small pieces of soap. No wash cloths. No room slippers, no laundry bags - which are all standard amenities for a hotel that tags itself as a top notch resort.
- No safety deposit box (we were not briefed if any is available within the resort)
- The lock of the sliding door is flimsy
- No wifi (Manila office advised us they have those Globe internet USBs per room but we did not find any)
- An old airconditioning unit that took more than an hour to cool even after a housekeeper/electrician, and Helen "checked" the aircon. Only until we switched on/off several times did the compressor outside the villa started to turn.

Facilities/Amenities - There's a restaurant and a bar, there's a spa (we did not try), a boat (overpriced of course!) for tours around Puerto Galera, and kayaks, No wifi, no library, no activities that are organized.
- We used the kayaks twice and the staff seemed not too keen to help us the first time, and were totally absent (the guard & strangers outside were the ones who brought down the paddles) the second time.
- We were able to negotiate with a boatman (much cheaper) to bring us around and when the resort saw him pick us up, we felt that the staff were giving him nasty glances as we did not get the boat from the resort.
- No PABX, or intercom system. Helen told us "it's being overhauled" so we had to text everytime we needed something - ie laundry bags for wet stuff that did not come actually.

Rat/s in the room
- We've been traveling for the past 15 years and this is the first time I've encountered a rat falling from our room's ceiling - TWICE. First time was in the afternoon when we saw it fall from the high ceiling to the floor. We chased it to the bathroom and called Helen and team. It took them 5 minutes to arrive and we lost the rat. The staff I felt did not believe us when we said there's a rat.
- We asked them to put a net above the ceiling which they did. In the evening, as soon as I opened the door to step out, a rat came fell again from the ceiling and scampered away. My shriek actually was heard by the spa attendants who came to ask why.
- I really got upset and demanded to talk to Helen. She offered to move us to a different resort. As this is impractical, we just requested if they could make sure that the ceiling has no more rats or mouse or any other insect. They said it was the first time they had a complaint about rats. I retorted that there's always a first time, and I said I hope it's the last.

- Friendliness of the staff is inconsistent. One moment everyone is smiling and saying hello, the next moment, they'd just pass without acknowledging your presence or even giving a greeting.
- Food also took a long time to order. They advise you to order dinner at 6pm to be ready by dinner at 7-7:30pm.

All in all, the resort does not offer anything unique or a great advantage over other resorts. It's difficult to get to (compared to Laiya), amenities or facilities are so-so, staff/management do not seem to care to organize activities or make the stay more meaningful and memorable, and that rat experience was just too much,,,

Will not recommend. Now I know why it's not on top of Trip Advisor hotels in Puerto Galera.

6  Thank cmpfigueroa

Reviewed 20 May 2013

We bought the deal from dealgrocer and booked as early as January. When we called last week, they said there is no available room although we have a confirmed booking number. After two days, they finally returned call saying they can accommodate us. after four hours from Makati, we were welcomed by an English woman named Helen and his boyfriend who said just volunteering due to lack of personnel escorted us at our villa (Vanda). Aircon is not working. They sent technician to no avail. Helen herself went up and said just give it some time. Three hours we're perspiring inside our villa until finally i troubleshoot it myself taking lessons from the defective condenser I've encountered in aircon unit in one of my classrooms. It worked after several try. at around 3pm, while I was watching a series from my mac, a big rat fell at the floor from the ceiling. I opened the doors, chase the rat to the door while my companion reported the incident to Helen. They went up with some staff, confirming if what a saw is really a rat and not a gecko. I'm little insulted at that moment but just ignored. We went out, swam, and went back to take shower. When we're about to go out for dinner, another rat jump from the door towards the villa's terrace. My companion was shocked, shouted and the staff of spa from the adjacent villa went out to check on us. We reported again and Helen offered a transfer to another resort but we thought transferring there that night is not a good option, we're checking out the next morning anyway. It is a posh resort, yes. However we felt that reception and staffs were not warm, probably because of series of complaints which we think should be corrected. It may be an isolated case but as for us, it will be the first and last we will go to this resort.

7  Thank Mayo M
Reviewed 6 May 2013

We booked our trip in advance and paid for their most expensive pool villa. The pool villa didn't have a pool, it was a "plunge pool" which is tiny and it's more like a bird bath. The resort has 3 types of rooms, garden villa, family villa, and buri villa. Family villa has a shared bathroom whereas the buri villa has 2 bathrooms. That's the only difference, really. The buri villa doesn't really have a "pool" and it shouldn't be advertised as such.

Our villa was located about 200-300 hundred steps from the beach. It was a good work out to go up and down the stairs but it wasn't what I was expecting. I would recommend that you ask for a room that's closer to the beach. The villas do have a beautiful view way on the top, don't get me wrong, but the stairs are not suitable if you have elderly traveling with you.

The manager and services were both wonderful. The manager came around many times to check in on us and the waiter was quick to bring drinks, water, and our food. The staff definitely made the stay enjoyable. The food at the restaurant needs improvement since the resort is not located nearby other choices. I ordered fish, which is everywhere on the island, but the fish was previously frozen and you can tell from the texture of the fish.

I'd give the food a 2 out of 5, the service and management 5 out of 5, the pool villa versus it's price a 2 out of 5, and overall experience 3 out of 5.

Room Tip: Pick a room by the pool to avoid walking up hundreds of steps.
1  Thank Kat D
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Advantages: East to get to (1 hour road trip + 45 min. boat ride + 10 minutes speed boat ride). Lush garden. Menu expansive and improved. Villas well maintained. Hot & Cold Shower works. Resort Manager/Proprietress is hands-on and visible (always checks on guests). Towels look fresh and smell fresh!. Strong aircon. Clean and tidy everywhere. Staff are friendly, accomodating & sorts out boat transfers. Will definitely come back :-)

Disadvantages: Upon arrival, no information given to guests about activities / amenities (which is a shame because they have a spa + access to water activities). No information booklet inside the villa. Bedsheets clean but aged. No phone in the room. No TV in ground floor bedroom. Music in restaurant is repetitive and not really background / spa-ish music. Pool not lit in the evenings. Pool bar lacks the ambiance (not inviting).

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NorthStarManila
Reviewed 21 April 2013

We have just returned from Buri Resort & Spa and I can't wait to return in the future. The location and natural setting makes this a unique place to visit in the area.

The staff were very accommodating with our reservation. I could not praise the staff highly enough, they were very attentive and arranged a late check-out so we could make the most of our stay.

The food was impressive and very reasonably priced...the homemade bread is delicious! The breakfast was possibly the best breakfast I have had in the Philippines and I have been living and travelling here for 18months.

I don’t think they have Wi-Fi but we were not troubled by this...no need for Wi-Fi when you have a lovely setting, pool, cocktails and snorkelling to keep you occupied.

Room Tip: The resort is situated on a hill, therfore if you have an issue with steps request a villa on the lo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mcc_84
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

A few weeks ago we went to Buri Resort for a weekend getaway. I was pleasantly surprised to find such a nice and charming resort so close to Manila. We spend two wonderful nights in one of their beautiful villas. We immediately fell in love with the nice interior of the rooms, the views from the balcony and the plunge pool hidden in a lush garden setting.
The resorts pool area was our favorite place to relax and unwind. It's a perfect spot to really enjoy a holiday feeling. We could spend all day here, but there were many other activities to enjoy as well. Not to be missed is a snorkling trip to the coral gardens, just around the corner of the resort. The warm waters offer stunning colorful reefs with many different fish and we even saw a turtle. We also took a canoe to explore the beaches opposite of the hotel. There was nobody else on the beach, so we had the white sandy beaches completely for ourselves.
Even though the resort may seem a bit far from the action, once here you really don't need anything else. The food from the restaurant is wonderful and comes in very large portions. They will go to the market everyday to get fresh fish etc. We tried everything that they recommended us and all was just too good to be true.
We were with a group of party people and after dinner the hotel arranged a boat to take us to white beach and back. We had a great time partying on the beach and watching the firedancers. After midnight the boatman brought us back to the hotel, the boatride itself was the most amazing part of the night. The sea was lit by the moonlight and above us countless stars as far as the eye could see. Truly magical!
We really had an amazing time at Buri Resort. The staff and manager made us feel so welcome and did everything they could do to make our stay even more wonderful. We were lucky to get a good promotion, but even without the discount it would have been worth every penny. There aren't many places in the area that give you so much comfort and quality. Buri Resort has become my favorite escape from the big city. I can't wait to go back and do it all again!

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed 8 April 2013

No wifi offered
Door lock not well kept.
Rooms for guest are not secured.
Has safety deposit but not properly working we need to ask an assistance first to operate it.
Restaurant had wilted flowers as center piece. They could have thrown the flowers.
Nice menu but most of it are unavailable. We ordered only breakfast but it took sooooo long before we got our order. I suggest to you guys ask your guest at night before they sleep what they want for breakfast so you will not having hard time to cook in the morning.
Inside the room specially on the bed so many things dropping from the ceiling, you must change your roof facilities!!!!!
Rooms dont have any PABX PHONE its too bad to your guest going up and down just to request something because your resort was above the hill and it has many stairs.
When we first notice that you've infinity pool we felt amazed but when we realized the water facility on your pool infected by ALGAE we saw on the tiles, then when we ask one of your staff her name is Grace she informed us that you don't have any chemicals on that moment to clean your pool, i can't imagine you charged too much to your guest then you can't buy any chemicals for it???

I would never return to this property nor recommend to anyone!

• Stayed: April 2013