“A little gem so close to Manila”
Review of Buri Resort & Spa

Buri Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 52 Hotels in Puerto Galera
Philippines
“A little gem so close to Manila”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I enjoyed a fabulous 2 night stay in Buri Resort just two and a half hours from Manila. I loved not having to fly and this means I can visit the place several times a year. It was very a very peaceful, quiet and relaxing space away from the city hustle, bustle and polution. We loved the food which was designed by Celebrity Chef Chris Locher. The Grill selection was awesome. The resort needs a little bit of maintenance but nothing major and is definitely good value for money! We took the Weekday Promo which was unbelievably low.

Room Tip: We stayed in a Buri Pool Villa and enjoyed using the private plunge pool throughout the day.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ETinRP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Paranaque, Philippines
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Purchased this vacation from Deal grocer and it was totally worth it. Word that will perfectly describe my buri vacation..... “Exceptional”. It's not the typical type of busy resort andt there is this relaxing feeling. The welcome, the accommodation, clean rooms and good food. I am not sure why there are negative comments written here, but I will give Buri 5 stars. I’ll surely be back soon. Next time with with my family.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank MariaPJC
Reviewed 30 May 2013

I have been to Puerto Galera (Sabang and White Beach) in the past and it did not give me a good impression as it's too crowded! Until a friend recommended Buri. Since it was a drive away, i went with my friends over the weekend in April and i couldn't believe i was in Puerto Galera! Buri is so private, tranquil and so beautiful! From then on, my impression of Puerto Galera has changed!

I did not like the boat ride as it was bumpy but the sightings of several dolphins jumping here and there made me forget about it. It's like the dolphins were welcoming me back to Puerto Galera!

At the resort, staff were very friendly, room booked for us (Pool Villa) was amazing! I was expecting a mini lap pool but the plunge pool was really cool place to hang out and have drinks with my friends! To top it all, the food they serve were great! I especially love the grilled special that's for sharing! It's really good for 8-10 people! We were just 5 people so you can imagine how full we all were! And the price is very reasonable! We liked it so much that we ordered it again the following day for our picnic lunch on a nearby island!

I would just suggest that the rooms be renovated somehow as they do need it. Some little details that an observant guest would really notice. I also think that they need to renovate their jetty. It's the first thing everyone sees upon arrival so it would be great that the first thing we see is impressive already.

Other than that, i love the place! I will definitely come back with my family this time!

Room Tip: Pool Villa named "Magnolia" is best if you mind the steps. It also has good view of the s...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Reviews on Buri Resort and Spa have been very contrasting. This is my take on it...

Buri joined a travel fair earlier this year and we were able to avail of a good discount on a 3 day, 2 night package. There are already a lot of reviews on how to get to Puerto Galera so I will not be discussing that anymore, and instead will be focusing on the resort.

Upon arrival on Buri's beach front, we noticed that no one was swimming about. As this was before Easter this year, the place was still very quiet. Later on we found out that their beach front is not really advisable for swimming as there are a lot of sea urchins which can sting swimmers. We were welcomed with cold face towels and drinks, and brought to a 2 storey villa which had a bedroom and a bathroom on both floors, a balcony overlooking the other lower villas and the pool with a partial view of the water, and a small dipping pool at the back. It was also equipped with a LCD TV. The walk to their different rooms/villas are all uphill, and depending on which villa is assigned to you, can be a drudgery to some. I didn't mind it much and just thought of it as a little cardio workout, but most others might. The room itself is quite small for the published rate they normally charge, but given the significant discount we had, I have no complaints. After being in the room awhile, we noticed that the air conditioning was faulty as it wasn't cooling down the room, so we complained about this and they gave us the option to transfer to the second floor room in the same villa, or move to another villa. I checked out the second floor and noticed that it is much warmer as the ceiling is made of this native thatch-like material that doesn't provide much insulation being on the second floor and directly below the roof. Also, I noticed that the flooring (and a little on the bed and other furnitures) was speckled with droppings that I would assume came from lizards or some kind of insect. I thought it was off that they would offer to us a room without checking if it was clean. With this, we requested to be transferred to another room.

As for their food and beverages, I didn't really enjoy the typical breakfast menu, and several of the items on their a la carte menu were 'out-of-stock' which is a common occurrence in remote resorts, but the dishes that were available were quite good. I have read some reviews saying that the food is pricey but given that the resort is somewhat upscale, I think the pricing is appropriate. Most of the staff were friendly and accommodating, as expected.

Stay at Buri if you want a more private and tranquil setting. You can easily hire a boat to take you to the other beaches if you want to try different restaurants and bars, or if you want to swim, snorkel or dive.

By the way, the place is called Buri as it refers to the tall trees called buri that you would see in its frontage.

Room Tip: When staying in a 2 storey villa, choose the lower floor as it is cooler, has a bigger bathroom, and...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank kilroywashere74
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 25 May 2013

We booked the Weekdays Promo directly with the Buri Resort & SPA and absolutely everything was above our expectations. The reservations office in Manila advised us about the weekdays promo and what villa would be best for us as couple. Some Villas are a bit up the hill but the steps are really no big deal and the view just amazing. We arranged our own transfer to Puerto Galera, Muelle Pier where Helen the resident manager was already waiting for us with a banka to bring us to the resort (just a 5 minutes ride). The resort is plain beautiful, nature at its best with 2 swimming pools, a very good restaurant and a SPA. We learned that the food was created by our favorite Chef in Manila, who also operates the famous My Kitchen by Chef Chris in the Oasis Paco Park Hotel... and YES! the food is amazing, the staff very friendly and always checking on us, specially making sure we always get our favorite Browny with Vanilla Ice Cream. Helen is a very friendly host and explained us what we can do during our stay. After our first amazing meal we checked in to our Villa. The Villas are very well designed. In the afternoon we had fun ocean kayaking to a near by beach. The next day we went again ocean kayaking and snorkeling to a little coral garden we noticed the day before. Water was crystal clear, beautiful table corrals and some small reef fish. There are some very friendly boat guys docking at the Buri jetty (the red banka) who told us we can take a trip to white beach. No rip off & no hassle, the boat ride was paid through the resort and very affordable. White beach is ok to visit for an hour or so, but for our taste too busy and hectic with jet ski, banana boat etc... We departed after 2 nights very happy and sure to return to Buri.

A must try is the Buri Salad!

Room Tip: The Plunge Pool Villa on the second level has a great view. Don't expect a Olympic size swimming...
Reviewed 21 May 2013

My partner gave me as a Christmas gift a voucher for Buri Resort from Deal Grocer as it is tagged a "luxury resort." I got excited because I have not been to Puerto Galera and I thought staying in a posh resort in a place that many consider "poor man's Boracay" is an excuse to brave the inconvenience of going there (2 hour drive plus an hour waiting for the boat, and a 75-minute boat ride).

Reservation - So I booked my voucher on January 14 for an overnight stay for May 18. The Manila office promptly sent me thru email a reservation confirmation. When I called on May 15 to re-confirm and ask for boat instructions, I was shocked when the staff couldn't find my reservation and advised me to reschedule as they're fully booked that weekend. I did not budge and sent them the reservation form they sent me last January even if they offered us a free upgrade if we moved our stay a week later. After a day of calls, thankfully, the resort staff were able to arrange something and confirmed our stay.

Arrival - After a chaotic experience at the Port of Batangas, we were finally on the boat to Muelle Port where we'd be picked up by Buri's boat. Upon arrival in Muelle, we were made to wait for 10 minutes as the boat brought another group to the resort. After waiting for 10 minutes and a 5 minute boat ride, we finally arrived at Buri Resort - 5.5 hours after we left Makati at 6:30am that morning.

- Upon arrival, our bags were carried by their crew who directed us to the restaurant where we were welcomed by Helen, the resort's resident manager. After the requisite registration, cold towels, and welcome drinks, we were escorted to our room - the basic garden villa - Vanda.

Room/Villa - The voucher was only for the basic garden villa so that's the only room I could review. And in this case, it seems overpriced:
- There's no TV in the room (for a PhP 5,000-PhP 6,000 worth, there's no TV!),
- No toiletries except shampoo, conditioner, and two small pieces of soap. No wash cloths. No room slippers, no laundry bags - which are all standard amenities for a hotel that tags itself as a top notch resort.
- No safety deposit box (we were not briefed if any is available within the resort)
- The lock of the sliding door is flimsy
- No wifi (Manila office advised us they have those Globe internet USBs per room but we did not find any)
- An old airconditioning unit that took more than an hour to cool even after a housekeeper/electrician, and Helen "checked" the aircon. Only until we switched on/off several times did the compressor outside the villa started to turn.

Facilities/Amenities - There's a restaurant and a bar, there's a spa (we did not try), a boat (overpriced of course!) for tours around Puerto Galera, and kayaks, No wifi, no library, no activities that are organized.
- We used the kayaks twice and the staff seemed not too keen to help us the first time, and were totally absent (the guard & strangers outside were the ones who brought down the paddles) the second time.
- We were able to negotiate with a boatman (much cheaper) to bring us around and when the resort saw him pick us up, we felt that the staff were giving him nasty glances as we did not get the boat from the resort.
- No PABX, or intercom system. Helen told us "it's being overhauled" so we had to text everytime we needed something - ie laundry bags for wet stuff that did not come actually.

Rat/s in the room
- We've been traveling for the past 15 years and this is the first time I've encountered a rat falling from our room's ceiling - TWICE. First time was in the afternoon when we saw it fall from the high ceiling to the floor. We chased it to the bathroom and called Helen and team. It took them 5 minutes to arrive and we lost the rat. The staff I felt did not believe us when we said there's a rat.
- We asked them to put a net above the ceiling which they did. In the evening, as soon as I opened the door to step out, a rat came fell again from the ceiling and scampered away. My shriek actually was heard by the spa attendants who came to ask why.
- I really got upset and demanded to talk to Helen. She offered to move us to a different resort. As this is impractical, we just requested if they could make sure that the ceiling has no more rats or mouse or any other insect. They said it was the first time they had a complaint about rats. I retorted that there's always a first time, and I said I hope it's the last.

- Friendliness of the staff is inconsistent. One moment everyone is smiling and saying hello, the next moment, they'd just pass without acknowledging your presence or even giving a greeting.
- Food also took a long time to order. They advise you to order dinner at 6pm to be ready by dinner at 7-7:30pm.

All in all, the resort does not offer anything unique or a great advantage over other resorts. It's difficult to get to (compared to Laiya), amenities or facilities are so-so, staff/management do not seem to care to organize activities or make the stay more meaningful and memorable, and that rat experience was just too much,,,

Will not recommend. Now I know why it's not on top of Trip Advisor hotels in Puerto Galera.

6 Thank cmpfigueroa
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We bought the deal from dealgrocer and booked as early as January. When we called last week, they said there is no available room although we have a confirmed booking number. After two days, they finally returned call saying they can accommodate us. after four hours from Makati, we were welcomed by an English woman named Helen and his boyfriend who said just volunteering due to lack of personnel escorted us at our villa (Vanda). Aircon is not working. They sent technician to no avail. Helen herself went up and said just give it some time. Three hours we're perspiring inside our villa until finally i troubleshoot it myself taking lessons from the defective condenser I've encountered in aircon unit in one of my classrooms. It worked after several try. at around 3pm, while I was watching a series from my mac, a big rat fell at the floor from the ceiling. I opened the doors, chase the rat to the door while my companion reported the incident to Helen. They went up with some staff, confirming if what a saw is really a rat and not a gecko. I'm little insulted at that moment but just ignored. We went out, swam, and went back to take shower. When we're about to go out for dinner, another rat jump from the door towards the villa's terrace. My companion was shocked, shouted and the staff of spa from the adjacent villa went out to check on us. We reported again and Helen offered a transfer to another resort but we thought transferring there that night is not a good option, we're checking out the next morning anyway. It is a posh resort, yes. However we felt that reception and staffs were not warm, probably because of series of complaints which we think should be corrected. It may be an isolated case but as for us, it will be the first and last we will go to this resort.

7 Thank Mayo M