“Nice place but too far from town”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Palawan Island
El Nido Viewdeck Inn
Ranked #156 of 349 Palawan Island B&B and Inns
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice place but too far from town”
Reviewed 20 February 2013 via mobile

Booked a room via Agoda for 1 night but on arrival the room had been reserved for the following day - obviously a clerical error. We did luckily get a room and an upgrade but that was just luck - we had to check out the following day as they were fully booked.

The rooms themselves, though small, are clean and well looked after. The view is great, but you pay a price for that having to walk far from the centre of town. The breakfast was excellent - the mango was particularly delicious.

Some of the younger staff really struggle with guests. I don't think their English is up to scratch, which is unfortunate as most of the guests here are Westerners. Can make it a bit more difficult than other places I've stayed in the Philippines. Took a very long time to sort out the confusion over the room - not sure what would have happened had I not had my receipt.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank deenairn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Tallinn
Reviewed 1 February 2013

We stayed for 4 nights in January. The rooms were okay, clean, but our sheets had visible stains (which might just mean they didn't wash out). Our room didn't have water for almost 3 days. As I understand they pump water and they ran out or something? Our first night we got it back, because the owner was there and dealt with the problem. The next 3 nights the owner was not there and none of the workers (I believe they were his sons) could speak very little and almost no english. They finally brought us some water in the room and said they will pump at 10pm. I don't know why they couldn't do it then. But nothing happened at 10 and we had to wash ourselves out of the bucket and reserve some for the toilet needs. This went on the next day and the morning after that which was very inconvenient, because we had been swimming, sweating and not properly bathing. For that reason we wanted to ask for a change of sheets, but thought its such a trouble, since the language barrier. Im sure if the owner would have been present at that time, our stay would have been a lot better!
The view of course was amazing, and the breakfast was served on the balcony of each room which was nice! Also the eggs were very tasty.

One morning we had to leave at 7 and ordered the breakfast to be ready at 6, so we could make it on time. We didn't get our food until 6.50 which made us way late. This was again when the kids were running the place and no owner was present.

I advise the owner whose name i believe to be Rudy to PLEASE hire some english speaking help, who are not just kids and have a better sense of responsibility. This place is not cheap and full of guests all the time, kids with a great language barrier should not run this place!

Please inform your guests that there is no room cleaning during your stay and no warm water and the possibility of having No water sometimes.

Room Tip: Don't expect having water in your room. That also means some extra troubles with visits to the t...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Puerto Princesa, Philippines
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I've been to View Deck twice already and my experience has always been satisfactory. The place is great, away from town and the beach, but it's also a bit of a hike to get to your room. It can be good or bad. Good, because in the morning, it gets really chilly and windy and you see the whole of El Nido, and it offers a spectacular view. I like waking up to this sight! But it's not so nice especially when you have to go to town or go anywhere else, and you have to "hike down" the flight of stairs, which by the time you get down, you're already exhausted.

But the owner Mr. Samson is very nice and accommodating. Last time, I was mistakenly double-booked with another guest. It would have turned out really chaotic but he made sure I was properly endorsed to another lodging.

As for the price, it's fairly affordable. Rooms have a/c, but no hot shower; they give you breakfast of coffee, eggs and some bread, but they don't have wi-fi. Overall, it's an okay place to stay at in El Nido. :)

Room Tip: At least there's no noise here because they're away from town. :)
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank keshie07
Calamba, Philippines
Reviewed 5 January 2013

(+) view is great
decor was very philippines style
staff were friendly
they were trying to fix the place up when we were staying, for me thats a lot better than seeing a place being neglected
they honored our requests
Since El Nido doesnt get electricity during the night.. it may get hard to climb the stairs but the staff try to add lightiing however they can. At least they are thinking of their guests.

(-) steep climb, not good for aging or handicapped persons or out partying/drinking too much then returning

suggestions:
Reinforce or fix the stair handles or at least make new ones for places that dont have it.
Fix the stairs, some of them are slopping downwards, hard to walk up

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 November 2012

This review is LONG overdue! If you are looking for a great place to travel to, this is it! I cannot say enough about my experience there, suffice to say that it was AMAZING!!!!. If only there was a Rudy everywhere I stayed in this world! This was one of my most memorable places I have ever stayed in all my travels. I will do it again and again so long as I am able. Food was fantastic, staff very helpful, island hoping in the a private boat was a dream, I simply could not ask for more, far surpassed my expectations. Thank you much Rudy! See ya again soon.
Side not: If you dont like long cramped van rides take a charter flight form Manila or pay for your own private ride, your cost will be significantly higher but seeing the county overland is worth it, even if you elect the cramp van ;) Also, power in the city turns off early in the morning until early afternoon... I very much enjoyed the old school charm of it, but some may not.

Room Tip: Ask Rudy What room George stayed in!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
USA
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights with my friend and I was very happy overall.
The room was basic but clean, bed was comfortable. At the time I was there the
hot water in the shower wasn't working but for me it wasn't an issue.
The place is built into a side of a hill and it takes some effort to climb up
but once up there the view is really nice. it was enjoyable just sitting in the balcony
looking at the ocean and the side of a cliff which was approx 150 feet away and was
truly a sight to behold. the owner, Rudy is a very nice guy who cares about his guests
and is a great person to talk to if you have questions or just in general.
keep in mind that electricity gets shut off in El Nido from approx 6AM until
2 PM and this place is no exception, I understand some hotels have their own generator
so make sure you check if that is important to you. The hotel is located a few minutes way
from the beach but it is a short walk away and you could always ride a tricycle for minimal
amount ( I always gave 50P but i think the going rate is actually lower) Again the place
is located up on a hill so for individuals that have trouble getting around this may not be
the place for you. Another thing I liked was the place is surrounded by trees which gives it
a nice peacuful setting and of course is shaded. One thing i would recommend is that you may want to carry a small flashlight because although the steps have some lighting it doesn't hurt to have a little more and it can get dark which makes it a little tricky to walk up and down the steps.
overall I like this place and would definitely stay here again. .

Room Tip: We stayed in cabin # 1 and really liked it. of course it meant climbing all the way to the top but...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Davao City, Philippines
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Was there with my wife and young son, so we were looking for a quieter place. If you're just looking for a place to sleep and store your stuff, it's hard to beat Viewdeck. The owner, Rudy, who designed and built the place himself, is incredibly friendly and helpful. We wanted to do a private island-hopping tour, and he set the whole thing up for us, free of charge. He takes a lot of pride in his resort, so everything was very clean and well-maintained. It was about a 10 minute walk to El Nido's restaurants and shops. Will definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family