“Perfect Island Getaway”

Ranked #13 of 104 Speciality Lodging in El Nido
Maldives
“Perfect Island Getaway”
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Wonderful place to stay, nice garden, very good food, lovely staff. The only downside is, it is quite far from the town centre, but if you want a quiet away from it all place then this is the place to be. Compared to other places, this resort is quite pricey but it is good value for money.

Thank you to Ms. Belle who took very good care of us.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jaded1975

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Las cabanas is a wonderful resort manage by a lovely philippino woman "Bhing" and her husband Dan. I has been there many years ago when the whole resort was not finish yet.
The work was in progress so they get down the price for that. Location is GREAT! U have big beach only for you. I was the only customer at the time and i felt to be a king: Bhing cooked delicious sea food only for me. She let me also teach her how cook squids in italian way... I would come back but the price now are not for me but i'm sure that the quality of service (including GREAT tripping to island) are still at the top!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MrLik
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 10 June 2013

My boyfriend and i have been in Philippines for 8 months working in Manila getting away as much as we could,so El Nido was our next to tick off the list. We stayed 3 nights in June'13 and very happy with our decision. The lush garden grounds opens onto beautiful soft sand then crystal clear waters wrapped around huge cliffs which felt very 'Jurassic'. We saw this view every morning and night sitting on cottage terrace (no. 1) sipping coffee or beer :) When we arrived Dan and his workers instantly made us feel welcome. We sat in the restaurant for 1 hour before setting foot in our cottage! We drank ice cold tanduay rum and ate the best fish curry ive had since being in Philippines (we then had it again with fresh pork the night before we left) which was much needed after our long day traveling. This resort only has 5 cottages so expect privacy and peace and quiet. A couple of tips: apply DEET and keep applying, palawan is notoriously know for mosquitos amd el nido is def not an exception. Keep your cottage door shut to keep mosquitos out. Dont expect a party - go to el nido town where theres plenty of that. Eat the curry! Talk to the caged birds and walk around the grounds. Go to town or speak to a trike driver about island hoping.

Room Tip: Beach front cottage number 1.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lucy s
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 April 2013

Me and my wife stayed 5 days at this resort between 25Mar-29Mar. We found this resort to be way too expensive comparing to local standards and prices. Overall we were not positively impressed.

THE GOOD
1) The rooms are quite spacious and were kept clean, no A/C but being next to the sea the breeze was enough to keep the air fresh. Our room had a nice view towards the sea and you can enjoy the view by sitting in the cottage lodge.
2) The sunset is splendid and is one of the best viewpoints, there are other tourists coming only for that
3) The owner’s wife (Bhing) helped us securing the entrance to the Underground River although it was the busy Easter period. However the staff overall is ok, but we expected more, especially with the service.

THE BAD
1) No shuttle service offered to/from the airport or other arrival points (we arrived by boat from Coron). You need to take a tricycle 150PHP and from the point it stops you need to arrange with the resort staff to come to pick you and your luggage for another 15min walk on the beach to reach the resort.
2) Prices are way too high for accommodation when we compared to other resorts in town. No breakfast is included, no complementary water available and the prices for any product is 3-4 times higher than what you can find in town (20-30 min away), they are really taking advantage of the fact that you are somehow far from the main town. This is the reason why we never ate there.
3) Prices for the island hopping activities are 2 x higher than what you can find in town. We found this a clear rip-off as the activities are the same; there are three main distinct tours that all agencies organize in the same way.
4) The location is outside El Nido, you might think that this is good being a quiet place, however, you don’t go to El Nido to relax, you go to visit and do island hopping / snorkeling / diving, therefore you are dependent of being close to major attraction points, port, center, etc. You need to add 2 x 150PHP each day to go in town and come back.

DO NOT FORGET
1) To withdraw enough PHP! Credit cards are not common in El Nido, there are only a handful of restaurants that accept CC payment.
2) To arrange before your arrival with the resort to come and pick you up from the point the tricycle leaves you
3) Sunlotion, your mask and fins and a lot of fun :)

Room Tip: Ask for a beachfront cottage, not sure if all have the same nice view.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alexandru S
manila
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I called the owner 3 days before our arrival to inform that we will be there late and need to be assisted since I read that the resort is far. He told me to call him back even if it's supposed to be his job to reconfirm. Anyway, on the day of our arrival , I tried to call him to let him know that we will be early and needed to be assisted but he didn't pick up his fone so I begun to worry and texted him for 3x and yet didn't receive any response. In short, we walked all the way down to his resort and passed the UPHILL ROUGH LITTLE STREET ( I know it was far but i didn't expect to pass the uphill rough..tourist should consider ! ) until the flat sand surface for approximately 1.5km. With all the luggages whether nicely wheeled was indeed useless coz we can't drag and roll them in the sand so to start a vacation is already a nightmare. We were lucky not to have kids. We were with my auntie ( 71 yrs old ) and uncle (74 yrs old) who are fit so imagine if not !?
When we saw the owner who seems like he was waiting in the garden felt like a hero to welcome us. Again, we were supposed to arrive late but the near fact that he was in the garden would only mean that he received all my text. That's why I got really mad. He pretended that he didn't receive anything at all.... his such a good actor. By the way, I kept all the text messages.

We stayed for 3N/4D HAD 2 ROOMS and paid for U$107/ngt ,NO BREAKFAST, NO SOAP AND NO SHAMPOO for 4days of stays. I forgot to beg I guess that's my fault.

The small stretch resort has a neighboring hotel that is well placed nearby the main uphill road who offers more than a half rate of what we paid for , with breakfast , service oriented staff and beachfront which is too late to discover but then charge to my experienced.

I was given a room which has a nice view but it is not all about the room. What we need is what we deserve for the price and SINCERITY. Follow - up from the part of the owner or staff that everything will be handled well since your resort is in the end of the island.

We just felt cheated.I feel sorry for Dan ( the owner ) , I am sorry but the damage has been DAN ( I mean done !). It happens for a reason.

Room Tip: quiet at night and size of room is big enough.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
14 Thank ellen c
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed with my boyfriend there in February. The hotel itself is located in a very nice area, a bit far from El Nido town though, but it's ideal for people, who just want to have a couple of relaxing days. It was a bit disappointing, that the bedsheets were quite dirty, although the price we paid was very high. Due to some issues we had to rearrange our intinerary and arrive in El Nido a day before as it was planned, so we called the hotel and asked if it's possible and we would leave a day before as well. The person, who answered in the phone was very nice and said that it's no problem they could give us a cheaper room which is not at the beachfront and that there would be no extra costs and he would organise a pick up from the bus station to the hotel too. When we arrived in El Nido, it wasn't like as we expected. We had to call the hotel, because noone was there to take us from the bus station and the owner told us there is no pick up, take a tricycle. As soon as we arrived at the hotel (and that was the bigges disappointment), he said that we have to pay extra 60 euros, because we arrived a day before and it's the high season and our issues are not his problem he has to run a business here. I agreed with what he was saying, tourism is a very tough business, but it would have been more honest from if we could have said that the day before, when we still had the chance to reconsider our plans. Now we were in the middle of nowhere, all hotels were booked out so we had no chance but take his offer. That was exactly his plan to earn some extra cash, which I find extremely dishonest and cheap. This attitude didn't change for the rest of oour stay. He were talking in such an unpolite and aggressive tone, that a person should never do, who works in service. Although the hotel has a beatiful location and the rooms (despite the dirty bedsheets) are nice, this whole experience made us very difficult to enjoy our stay at the hotel, so we were trying to spend there as little time as possible. El Nido is one of the most beautiful places in the world but people should choose another hotel, there are lot of options, which are cheaper and as good quality, if not even better and probably with nicer staff.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
14 Thank iistvan86
Reviewed 27 February 2013 via mobile

The Resort is located around 3 km away from the town center in a beautiful area. The beach is just wonderful and the surrounding views are breathtaking. it is a bit difficult to acess the resort because it doesn't have a direct access from the main road, so make sure to bring a flashlight to walk around at night as it turns really dark. If you happen to arrive during the night, make sure to have someone to guide to the resort. We stayed in cottage n.6 and it is comfortable enough to accomodate 3 persons and the room was allways cleaned during our stay. There is no AC but there is a fan. The cottage is very simple, built with traditional materials with a nice veranda.
The staff is really helpful and they can arrange island hopping tours which are a must in El Nido. I will definitely come back.

• Stayed February 2013