“A home away from home”

Island Front Cottages
Ranked #82 of 114 Speciality Lodging in El Nido
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Late review here. I stayed in Dara Faye Cottages after the long bus trip from Puerto Princesa. Basic fan room with comfortable bed and priceless beachfront view. They only have 4 rooms and I stayed with my son for more than 5 nights after meeting the owner. Dara Faye is beside Periking and it was so quiet and relaxing away from the noise of the bars and restos. Just less than a hundred meters away from Altrove Pizzeria which is my favorite place in El Nido, I spent the most unforgettable moments in Dara Faye. With spacious room and regular hot water and coffee in the morning, the place gives you the best view of paradise. It's those sweet quiet mornings and their very relaxing beach rejuvenating my senses away from the city. Php1200 per night (5 nights) and it was sooo worth it. I really enjoyed the veranda every mornings with the beautiful beach view and coffee. Thanks Mr. Fernandez and I hope to see you again

Room Tip: Use the canopy mosquito net before you sleep since the cottage is made of wood and there are a lot o...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 21 March 2014

We stayed here for 3nights during our 5nights stay in El Nido. We decided to get away with the busyness of the entire town for the last few days of our stay and just chill by the beach. We found this place after 3-4hours of looking for a place to stay. The rooms were uniquely built that would capture your attention from the moment you'd check out the rooms. Food wasn't at it's best that's why we ate at different restaurants and just stayed at the place for their free breakfasts. I know it might be mean, but with the cost of every meal in El Nido, we have to get good food with the money we're spending though. Anyway, the air-condition works well (which is rare in the town, plus they have generators!) , not much mosquitoes and we could just safely hang our wet suits outside our rooms w/o being embarrass people might spot them along the way. To round it up, stay was fine and comfortable. Wouldn't mind coming back since their staff are really nice and accommodating. Worth of coming back!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2014

After one night in busy El Nido we moved to Corong-Corong, which is a more quiet area of El Nido (easy to reach by Tricycle by the way). Island Front is a perfect accommodation there, with nice cottages and a restaurant/bar near the beach. The sunset is amazing!
Staff is friendly and helpful.
We stayed in a budget room; it was comfortable and offers good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Island Front Cottages was a great place to stay in Corong Corong! It's about a 15 minute walk from El Nido. The beach has lounge chairs to lay out, they set up tours and have a kayak for rent. The rooms are clean. We had one with AC, a TV, a small porch and it was spacious. The linens were clean. The decor in our room and the whole place was quirky and fun! I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the complex island front 2 and it was directly at the mainroad to El Nido, so it was loud. And the rooster cry very early in morning, but nearly everywhere on the philippines are roosters...
But the rooms are very nice and new. And if you are staying in the main complex it is quiet.
The corong corong beach is nice, no waves and you can walk nearly 50 m into the sea. Also a beautiful sunsetspot!
I really enjoyed this place!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Finding this place was a blessing for me. I arrived in El Nido and had no accommodations and it was peak season, and I am glad I chose to look for accommodations in Corong-Corong, away from the crowded El Nido town. Island Front Cottages has their regular-priced cottages and another part, is their budget room accommodation. Thankfully, when I asked they had available budget single room for P600 which has a private toilet and bath. The room is basic, and what I liked is the toilet and bath is new and clean and you have your own balcony (not facing the beach though). The budget room is definitely value for money. And the P600 already includes a breakfast and they have a wide variety of choices. If I go back to El Nido, I would choose to stay in Island Front. I got good value for money for their budget room and this location has amazing sunset views. The staff were also attentive to my requests. But from what I saw from their regularly-priced cottages, there are other better options in the Corong-Corong area for the same price. But if you are in a budget like me, check out their budget rooms. They are worth it.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Nikki Lou B
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I really wanted to love this place and give it a 4 or 5 rating as this is the kind of ma and pa establishment I am attracted to and love to see supported and thrive. The spirit of the place is there, peaceful, serene with kind, caring, and attentive proprietors. The room was basic but charming. The room I was in (room 3, then switched to room 4) had air conditoning and gorgeous balcony views of the sea. The front desk and restaurant staff are also very attentive but I found there was a lack of ability to anticipate guest needs. I read in a past review that most of the staff are young and perhaps still inexperienced with being service-oriented. I think I agree somewhat. But also I attribute it to slight breakdowns in communication, what with my spotty Tagalog and their basic English. However, I was traveling pregnant with my partner, which they remembered I had mentioned in my email reservation with Onie, one of the lovely owners who truly cares about each of her guests.

Hitches & Setbacks:
1. I had to request toilet paper since it wasn't in the room upon arrival. I had to request this at the front desk twice on the first day before being given three rolls.
2. Our TV was't working. We requested assistance from the front desk 4 times before it was resolved.
3. It would have been nice to get a quick tutorial on the hot shower. I soon learned how to get hot water by using one of the faucets and running it for 5 to 10 minutes first. This was after the nozzle fell off. I fixed this myself, learning the hard way how to use the shower.
4. Running the cold shower faucet/nozzle as well as the water from the sink gave off a sewage smell. So I refrained from using the sink and cold shower and stuck to the hot shower faucet for washing my hands, face, and brushing my teeth. I hope they manage to get rid of the smell.
5. The bathrooms in the new rooms are dark, wish they had brighter lights.

How Island Front Compensated and Managed to Keep me Happy if not Totally Satisfied:
1. Upon noting my pregnant state, they offered us upon arrival our choice between two of the new rooms with breathtaking balcony views of the sea. One on the second floor and one on the ground floor if I didn't want to take the stairs.
2. To resolve our TV issue, they offered us the other new room next to ours, which was identical to our room. Here the TV worked just fine.
3. We decided to try dinner at the restaurant on our last night. The next day when I went to check out and resolve any outstanding bills, they gave us the dinner free of charge. I believe that this was owing to the fact that I paid well in advance (months ago, a hefty wire transfer from Norway) and I guess I was persistent in approaching the front desk so much because of the minor issues we had...

As of Jan 2014, there are still ongoing constructions as they build additions to the cottages. The construction is happening beside the new rooms so expect some noise from about 8 to 4 everyday. This isn't such a big deal since many guests are up by then for breakfast and ready to head out for the tours around El Nido. The cost of the trike ride into El Nido proper from Corong Corong is 30p. We sometimes walked too which is about 15 to 20 mins. The area is very local, very untouched by development. Hope you enjoy as much as I had!

Room Tip: As of Jan 2014, there are still ongoing constructions as they build additions to the cottages. The...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Stunning Republic Beach Resort
Eco Hotel El Nido
Eco Hotel El Nido
#67 of 101 in El Nido

Been to Island Front Cottages? Share your experiences!