“Best Backpacking deal in Town”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in El Nido
Anang Balay Turista
Ranked #28 of 101 El Nido B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

Clean and friendly place with staff that sees to you every need. Where else do you get a 700 Peso Single Room with Beach view during peak season? Only double rooms have their own bathrooms, but the amenities are quite sufficient for the well traveled backpacker and the free breakfast is always good.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank antonymous

Reviewed 19 January 2014

we stayed here last january 14-16, staying here was out of the plan, but when we saw the accommodations we plan to stay in we opted to look for something else (walk in). we actually got a family room with 3 beds, the room is quiet since its in the interior of the building, pretty spacious for us, price is good,(just haggle with ate Annie the manager and she will give you discount) lower than what we expected to pay with what we saw in Agoda. AC is working well,the room has television very important to ease boredom intervals, good bathroom, good beds, high ceiling rooms. the famous art cafe is few steps away. and most importantly this is on the main strip,it is beach front where the island hopping tours depart..the staff is attentive and accomodating..breakfast is generous and they have a balcony on the third floor that has a view, not that pretty view but good enough.

Room Tip: if the family room is available ask for it.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank scatterbrained
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Room size is fine for two person but three it will be a bit cramped. Room and bathroom is clean. Location is beachfront but it is not really swimmable because there were so many boats. There are so many good food joints outside the accommodation as well as travel agencies. Electricity is on for 12h then nothing for the next 12h even fans! The staff said that there is wifi but didn't bother to use it so I can't really comment on that. For the rate that I paid I think it is a sweet deal since it was a peak period.

Room Tip: Room A is spacious among others
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Vanessa G
Reviewed 1 February 2013 via mobile

The room that we booked ( me and my bestrfriend) was a famiyl room. There were no other vacant rooms when we arrived last jan 26, 2013 until jan 30 2013. Obviously, the family room was huge for us but we loved it. Kuya ramil of Caera travel EL NIDO (he gives good discounts from vans, tours and some hotels. please contact +63 939 902 2215 ) bargained the price to the owner, his friend. We got the huge the room for only 1, 400 a night, 2 beds and an AC ROOM with clean comfort room. Not bad at all. No free breakfast included but unlimited coffee. A wifi connection is available but not so fast:(. But it was ok. My experience in Balay was very good. They clean the room everyday even without telling them and no things that were lost. Overall, I was happy we booked here and tills next trip I will book again here.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Izybitsy
Reviewed 27 November 2012

They used to be ok, until my last visit wherein I had to request for insect killing spray because there were roaches - 10 or more of them - hiding under the table and running around occassionally, even inside the toilet!
It was very unacceptable and I could not even contact the people running this place whether by phone, or by shouting their names (they live at the back house). I left with a notice to their neighbor to let them know that I couldn't get hold of anyone and to please clean the room with the 10 or more cockroaches that I killed with the spray. The room was so toxic I couldn't stand 1 second being there.
The management should seriously look into this. What a disappointment.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank independencia
Reviewed 7 February 2012

As suggested by the first review, my two friends and I chose to stay at Anang Balay.

The location is quite nice. It's at the very end of the "beach street". And you really can see the water from your window. We didn't get in the water, though, in this section of the beach since was a bit unclean. Fortunately, everything is REALLY close, so location doesn't really matter.

The owner was amazingly friendly and they brought breakfast to our little porch area every morning. We stayed in the king room and had an extra bed in there. The total cost was 1,800 php per night split 3 ways (don't be surprised if the price has gone up - that's inflation for you). The price included breakfast and air conditioning. Unfortunately, there was no hot water (which is pretty common in The Philippines) and our shower didn't have a lot of water pressure. We ended up squatting under the knee-high water spout and showered that way. Not ideal, but whatever works! The sink was also leaking (I'm sure it's probably fixed by now), so we used the water spout for brushing teeth and washing hands as well. They had "brown outs" (no electricity) everyday from 6:00am to 2:00pm. This is common in many other hotels/hostels as well.

We stayed there for 2 nights, but ended up booking at another place. We just wanted a bit more space and a spot closer to the swimmable beach area (we were lazy).

Overall, Anang Balay was a great stay, but could have been a bit better with more water pressure and fewer people in our room! Check it out. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: During peak season in El Nido, I would definitely book at least one night's stay. Then you can...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Siobhan_China
Reviewed 13 August 2011

If you Google anangbalayturista you should find the room I stayed in El Nido Palawan, this lovely Filipino lady I think has only 2 rooms and arranges tours, they are very modern and quite small but I really liked it.
The rooms were very very close to the small port on the beach road, if you like the idea of these rooms I would book in advance as 2 rooms only I think.
I did a deal for 3 nights Php-800 per night room only no a/c, and as they have such long brown outs and I do not normally have a/c I thought it was a good deal.
You will read from my other reviews I try to get the cheapest but a clean room just to sleep in, although I could have got a room for about Php-500 basic but hard to find in El Nido as it is not that large a town I paid more.
Php-800 is still cheap, the reason I paid that little extra the room was very clean almost new and you could see the sea 20m away.
As this is just a room hard to add much, there is a small seating area out front which is nice for reading or drinking a beer.
El Nido is quite small so every thing is in very easy walking distance.
I was on a whistle stop tour of the Philippines so only stayed a short time in El Nido but I think this is a good jumping of place for other islands.
I came by shared mini van from Puerto Princesca about 5 hours and paid Php-700,
a big mistake, I woke up at 6.30am intending to get the bus about 7 hours, the lady at reception said why not get a mini van so I said ok fine, as I would have to pay to get to the bus station 5/7km out of town first, it arrived at 7.15am and of I went, the problem is I am six two tall not that tall by today’s European standards and only 80kg, but squashed in a mini van for 5 hours was shear hell.
In the bus you should get a seat if you arrive early as you are at the start of the route, and you get good leg room although you will get squeezed side ways when the bus is full, but as people get on and of all the time, it was not a problem on my return.
If you return to Puerto Princesca by the bus it is called Eulen Joy Liner Php-350, you can book your seat in advance in town but I think you will always get a seat as it is the starting point for the bus.
If you read this and do not book this room one tip is, when you arrive in El Nido by bus or mini van you are dropped of the same place, you do not need a tricycle if you are looking for a room, just walk about 20m down hill and turn left and that is the main beach road with most of the accommodation.
To find anangbalayturista just keep walking and under about a mile the road dog legs to the right only about 10m and keep walking down the beach road and only about 200m on the left are the rooms very easy to find, if you do get a tricycle ask to head to the port, the road ends up a one way road that last 200m and on the bend when you see the sea that is where the rooms are I will try and post a photo of the outside of the room and the view although last time I tried it did not work but I think that is just my age.
One item you seem to have to pay is a Php-200 conservation fee for over 12 year olds, some one came on are mini van to collect it, and I was asked to show my pass when I went on a boat trip. I do not know if they do the same on the bus, but it seems the norm and not a rip of really.

Room Tip: Always look before you book
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled solo