“Great hotel, terrible circumstances”

Ipil Suites El Nido
Ranked #19 of 93 El Nido B&B and Inns
Quezon City, Quezon City, Philippines
“Great hotel, terrible circumstances”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

First thing I said when I saw Ipil was, "Wow!"

The hotel was new, it was clean, the rooms were good, the beds were comfortable, and I love the pillows!

However, because of the fluctuating power supply in the area, the airconditioning didn't work very well, which was really a pity. The daily power outage from 6am to 2pm was really a drag. You cannot stay in the hotel just to laze around and cool off, because it was freakin' scorching!

The food was ok, the staff were ok too. Our island hopping tour booked via of the hotel was also ok.

Just make sure you book a comfortable ride going there. There's a coach plying the PPS - El Nido route, but you have to book online. If I were Ipil, I would ask to be accredited with them, or work in partnership.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Modern and centrally located. A charming and well maintained hotel.
Breakfast was good and varied.
We stayed for 5 nights, everything was perfect. Friendly staff and very welcoming. Very good value, better to reserve before your arrival.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed 18 April 2014

My wife and I stayed here for three nights, we had a top floor room with a great view overlooking the water. The room was clean, it had a safe deposit box, everything worked and the bed was comfortable, we both slept well.
The breakfast was good with a selection of traditional dishes from the Philippines and western favourites such as omelettes.
The staff were friendly and the WIFI, though on the slow side, did work. The location was convenient, it was a short walk to the beach and restaurants. Older people with knee or leg problems might find the upper rooms unsuitable as there is no lift.
This was one of the more expensive places we stayed at but El Nido is a bit more expensive than some other places in the Philippines.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor facing the water have a great view.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Glen_Whitley
Lodi, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 April 2014

I booked Ipil suites in El Nido through Agoda.com. The hotel has a nice curb appeal and I have a good first impression. It is the biggest structure on the street and our tour guide knows where it is located right away.
The rooms are adeqate, clean and the beds are comfortable(we booked 3 deluxe rooms on the 2nd floors).

Our rooms have no TV's or phones but they send a messenger for our wake up calls(very effective). Our airconditioners are also functional but will stop working like 6:30 am.(limited electricity in El Nido)

This is not a beachfront hotel but all the great beaches can only be reached if you
go island hopping(really nothing to do in Real St if you don't go island hopping).
The hotel has decent buffet breakfast and the following day, they packed our breakfast for us since we left at 3 am.

My biggest concern is the poor WiFi connection on the lobby and I don't even expect it to work in our rooms .

Aside from WiFi issue, I think I will go back and probably will book the suites.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Emmanb
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 7 April 2014

Let's put it this way... If all you are after is a comfortable bed, air conditioning and a hot shower after a day of adventure at el nido, Palawan, then this is the place for you. Most rooms available in the town of el nido I think offer basic amenities only. If you want a pamper thyself holiday, and have the means to do so, then you are better off booking at the island resorts of miniloc or lagen. The room we booked at ipil turned out to be on the small side, located at the ground floor. the establishment has 4 floors and no elevator so in hindsight, this was a blessing since my husband has a bum knee. Bigger rooms are on the higher floors. The saving grace of ipil is the in-house tour packages they offer. They have their own tour boat with experienced and knowledgeable boatmen who are more than willing to go out of their way to help you out and make your tour extra memorable. They were great cooks to boot. We had lunch at a private beach owned by the proprietors which meant we didn't have to squeeze in with the rest of the crowd at lunch time. The beach had white powdery sand-'flour-like sand' as my daughters described it, and was very clean. At the end of the tour, they were gifted with intricately woven animals made of fresh coconut leaves crafted by one of the boatmen. My kids absolutely loved them! So if you are planning to book this inn for your holiday, make sure to book a tour or two with them too. You won't regret it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank hazel t
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We booked this hotel for 2 nights and our plan was to look for somewhere else for our next 2 nights after. Sadly once we got to El Nido we found all the places that were good were booked up. So we ended extending our stay another 2 nights at Ipil Suites.
I think if we had paid less I would have been okay with staying here.
Our first room was a Deluxe on the 3nd floor facing the mountain with a balcony. The room was tiny for 3 people. WiFi was only good (but very very slow) in the lobby. If you want to have a shower try to take one the evening before. Only cool water after 8am. A/C worked well and yes the beds are hard like mentioned in other reviews. Usually I like hard beds but they are harder than I like. Also, beds only have sheets no blankets...not a big deal but would have been nice to have a blanket also. Breakfast is included in your stay. I didn't find it very good. At first staff seem a little cold but they warm up once they get to know you.
Our second room was a family room on the 4th floor. This room was much nicer but had it's downfalls too. All the doors to each room on this floor are very creaky and make lots of noise. You hear every door to every room open and close and when there are large families staying in rooms on this floor you hear each and every door that opens and closes. Also the walls seem thinner on the 4th floor than the 3rd floor walls if that's possible. We also did not have a balcony which I missed from our room on the 3rd floor.
Also, in the pictures here on Tripadvisor you see tables and chairs on some sort of roof top patio. These pictures were taken a few years ago and now are rooms so there is no patio which I was a little disappointed. Looked like it would have been an amazing view from there.
All and all we made the best of our stay at Ipil Suites but I think if you book ahead and do your research there are many more better choices in El Nido for a better price.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank TorontoStarfish
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 28 February 2014

Our room was origally deluxe but we upgraded it into a suite and I'm glad we did it. The view of the beach and mountain were fantastic. We can see them by the window right when you open the curtains or drapes, and through our own balcony which was really great. Modern amenities in a remote area and clean rooms too. Centrally located so it's convenient. The hotel staff were very nice to us also. No elevator so just think of it as a positive way to be able to exercise( we're on the 4th floor). Good buffet breakfast as well.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family