“Relaxed pleasure”
Review of Angel Nido Resort

Angel Nido Resort
Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed in Angelnido for 7 nights and our stay was very relaxed. I cannot agree more with all the positive reviews below which are corresponding to the truth as well as the position of the beach, the position of the location, the distance from the center etc. ( what you want to do at night in the center anyhow is a mistery as I have found the village very rural and basic therefore we just ate there and went to bed after that).

We stayed in Cottage 1 which I believe was the one which had the bathroom problems ( from a review below) but the problem now has been solved and no other signs of mushy stuff is around or near the walls.
Bathrooms are clean and simple, you have warm water when the electricity is on and wireless works fine as well, bearing that you are in a remote place and some connections might not always be at their best. You don't come to El Nido for a holiday made of bars and restaurants or great shopping and if you expect this, you will be very disappointed. But if you are looking to explore an island which is still under development, with a great nature, great beaches, this is the place for you.

All staff at AngelNido is kind. I like the fact that Matteo, being Italian, is always responsive, you can call him and he answers the phone and you can rely on his word. With some locals, it simply doesn't work like that, as they have a different vision or habits and I found Matteo to be very trustworthy.
Matteo has arranged for us a private pick up from the airport in Princesa and to the airport. He is always attentive to the requests of his clients and one day he has also brought us to a beach tour. Breakfast is simple but cheap prices. In near Cadlao resort you can have a proper more complete breakfast for more than the double offered by Angel Nido so it is up to you. We sometimes had breakfast at Cadlao, sometimes at Angel Nido.
It is true that there is no lounging area where you can stay but for a few words you are welcome to sit by the main porch where Matteo and his family welcome you. This place has sort of ' family' business rather than a cold reception therefore if you don't mind to be treated as such,this is the place for you.
If you want your own privacy, you can have it also.
Angelica their little girl is a real entertainer and you will spotted her around playing with their lovely dog Angelo or simply coming to you questioning about anything. I would not stay anywhere else in El Nido as I have found the locations in the city center to be a bit doggy and not very clean from an outside point of view while at Angel Nido I felt safe, clean and with no worries if I paid the right amount because I am sure we did.

Cadlao resort is near by in case you want a good massage ( more expensive than those in the city where you will just be placed on a bed-clean? mh- while in Cadlao you will do a massage under a lovely hut, with the sound of the sea).

1  Thank evita1974

Reviewed 2 December 2013

We stayed in Angelnido Resort for three nights and I would highly recommend it - great value for money! The location is right at the beach (ask for Caalan Beach), very well managed and looked after - and only a 10 to 15 minutes walk away from the center of El Nido. The cottages are lovely decorated and super clean - a real comfort zone. All of them have a small balcony where you can relax and enjoy the sound of the waves while enjoying a cold drink. Showers have hot and cold water and a good water pressure.
The host family has a Filipino-Italian background and they are lovely people that really made us feel at home and welcome. They also connected us with a boat owner and organized an island hopping tour to some of the outer islands. Since their cottages are located right at the beach and tricycles or cars cannot get to that place (enjoy the silence!!!) they also pick you up with a motorbike in El Nido center and help you with your luggage if needed.
Thank you to Gian Matteo and his family!

2  Thank U S
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We stayed in Angel Nido Resort for ten days and it was nice to stay a little bit outside of the "city" but still it was a walking distance anywhere. Owners and staff were very friendly and it was easy to ask them something if you needed help. Rooms are nice and cleaned every day. Rooms were also quiet and private. View to the sea is truly amazing! I can't think of a better way to start your day than enjoying your breakfast on a terrace and enjoying the view (by the way, breakfast was good and cheap). Electricity and wi-fi worked everyday. We had great time in El Nido and I can only say good things about Angel Nido Resort, I highly recommend it if you want to feel like home away from home. Cozy, clean, beautiful and safe.

Room Tip: Room 3 was nearest to the sea
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Miima84
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

If you are on a tight budget in El Nido, watch out because things here are just generally pricey. Food is average and expensive, and the outings can kill your budget if you aren't creative.

If you are the type on a tight purse string and don't mind a 10 minute walk into town for your action, AngelNido is the best option we experienced by far. El Nido town is quite dirty and crowded so Calaan Beach offers a peaceful haven for those seeking a more pristine experience.

You have to walk past a graveyard and village to get here, and tricycles don't dare take on the narrow roads to Calaan so rent a motorbike and you can go it on your own.

This beachfront hotel is small and friendly with clean nicely appointed rooms, private verandas and sometimes hot showers. Be prepared that you can't swim in Calaan, but actually in El Nido the water is pretty dirty so you anyway have to get out of the bay to swim.

One thing is that there are no real lounging areas at Angel Nido and no restaurant so if you want a resort vibe, maybe this is not for you. But for a simple clean good value beach hotel, I wouldn't go anywhere else.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Willow C
Reviewed 18 October 2013

After reading the glowing reviews, we booked two bungalows at Angel Nido Resort for four nights. True to the photos, the property is very charming and we wanted to like it, but the problems could not be overcome. The property is less than a year old in September 2013 and I believe the roof has been leaking almost since construction. The bathroom ceilings in bungalows 2 and 3 were both covered in mold and you could see the water flowing in when it rained. There was no power in the bathroom in bungalow 2, likely due to all the leaking water. No power means no lights and no hot water, but it was so hot and musty in the bathroom, the hot water was not missed too much. Water pressure was good in the showers, but non-existent in the sinks three feet away. The water literally dripped out of the faucet.

Unfortunately for us, the owner (Mateo, I presume from other reviews) was away on holiday. The staff he left behind was friendly enough, but did not appear to spend much time maintaining the property. Preferring to spend their days hanging out on the porch of the main house, the problems were not going to be addressed any time soon.

With no A/C, the units need better air flow. Opening the front window and tiny bathroom window provided little of the nice outside breeze. The ceiling fan over the bed kept the sleeping temperature just bearable until the town power shut off at 5 am each morning. But the mold and humidity sent our sinuses out of control and we departed after two nights.

Positives if you must stay here: Unit one closest to the water has the driest bathroom. Aside from mold, units were pretty clean. The sheets and towels smelled great!!!

I don't know how long Mateo has been gone, but he needs to come home and right the ship.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Clark W
gianmatteo73, Owner at Angel Nido Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2013

Hello, I am Matteo the owner of Angelnidoresort. Got back yesterday in the Philippines (after a few months) and unfortunately I had no idea of the bad situation they were some of our rooms. I immediately took steps by closing our resort for a few days so i can fix the problems and improve our cottege. I want to apologize to all customers who when I was not here to Angelnidoresort found themselves uncomfortable. I promise to our future guests that the situation will be immediately improved with my presence and I hope it will not happen in the future. I apologize again and if in the future you will return to El Nido please contact me and be my guests for free.

Reviewed 27 May 2013

We spent 3 days at Angel Nido last February. Very clean, cozy and affordable and very friendly owner. There's not much space, inside and outside, but it's perfect for someone who likes to spend peaceful evenings (no parties and bars close by) and spend the day discovering the region. There's no sand beach, but one gets treated with a beautiful sunset day after day. The water is really shallow and the ground is rocky, so one needs to bring shoes for the ocean. We were quite disappointed about the breakfast though (additional charge), so we decided to eat out on the other mornings.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed 10 April 2013

I casually came across Angelnido after passing up a disappointing line-up of hotels and guesthouses on the main drag of El Nido. It was a good 20min walk to get there from town, but worth it in my opinion. Mario was a great host. The environment was laid-back and inviting. A great place to unwind, or as a romantic getaway.

Room Tip: Fan rooms in front are relatively inexpensive while those closer to the beach are more luxurious and...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo