“A Wonderful Experience!”

El Nido Resorts Lagen Island
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in El Nido
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My husband and I came back after a 4-day stay in Lagen Island Resort on June 1-4, 2012. It was a wonderful and fabulous experience although the weather was cloudy and at times rainy. We were still able to enjoy the activities we planned. The good thing is, the lodging price includes activities in the area including snorkeling, island picnic lunch, nature trail hiking, kayaking, and boat trips to see the other islands. There is an Activities Coordinator who helped us schedule the activities we wanted for our entire stay.

RESERVATION PROCESS - Pretty good. I communicated mostly via email and they are quick to respond. Each time in less than 24 hours including the price quote. I was able to pay online which is quite efficient.

SERVICE - Excellent. The staff in the resort are very helpful and courteous, and always available. Our snorkeling guide, who deserves special mention, swam with us the whole time.

BEACH AND NATURAL SURROUNDINGS- Excellent. Spectacular even. Water is calm and somewhat warm that lends to a great swimming, kayaking and snorkeling experience. This is an eco-friendly resort and they mean to preserve the local wildlife. I was able to take pictures of the animals in the area including birds and fish. The limestone cliffs are amazing. Experiencing the Big and Small Lagoons are a must.

ACCOMMODATION- Excellent. We stayed at a water cottage. Our room was clean, the bathroom was of a convenient size. The bathroom fixtures are in great shape and seem relatively new. There were colorful fish under our cottage that I had immense fun feeding. The views were beautiful.

FOOD-Pretty good. We availed of the meal package. The meals at Lagen, Miniloc and Entalula and some other places were "interchangeable" with no extra fee. So we lunched once at Entalula Beach Club, once at Miniloc. One picnic lunch was included with our stay. Not a multi-national buffet reaching gastronomic heights each time, though it seems the chef tried to include some Asian, American and Italian cuisine in separate occasions. It's not a "Wow!" but I liked the food enough.

ACTIVITIES- Excellent. We chose to do kayaking, snorkeling, and boat trips to different islands and a cave. Visiting the sandbar at Snake Island (Vigan Island) is a must. There is a swimming pool in Lagen although I didn't find the time to go there. Too many other things to do in El Nido! My husband was looking for a gym though and there wasn't any in the resort.

NOISE LEVEL-Low. If you are looking for some quiet time with family and/or friends with a lot of different activities this is quite a great place.

RECOMMENDATION-I would highly recommend this to a friend.

Room Tip: Choose a water cottage opposite the main dock. This area is less busy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank SHERYL C
There are newer reviews for El Nido Resorts Lagen Island

Reviewed 3 June 2012

I have no complaints about the staff since they are very kind. However I did not like the amenities and facilities in this place. The look of the rooms, cottages and restaurant just makes the place look so gloomy and depressing.

The atmosphere inside the restaurant seems so sad even though there are many people. I'm very disappointed with the food. The squid and meat are hard and difficult to chew. The waffles during breakfast doesn't seem freshly cooked. Some of the food taste bland. Considering that this place is not really cheap and there are many tourists here, then they should improving the quality of their food.

The toiletries inside the rooms are not complete. They only provide bath gels and soap. You have to ask for toothbrush and toothpaste if you want one. Good thing I brought toiletries with me.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2012

Truly an enchanting place, the moment you see the glimpse of the resort from the outrigger boat, all you could say is "wow"! The resort is nestled in a shallow lagoon surrounded by limestone cliffs. Ideal for a romantic getaway or if you just want to get away from daily stresses of life, the resort is a great retreat, its so peaceful that all you could hear are birds chirping, the sound of trees and water. There's no tv on the island. What makes this resort standout aside from its postcard view, is the impeccable service of the staffs. They would go the extra mile to make your stay truly relaxing. Everyday the staffs would organize an activity to your liking, whether its hiking, island hopping, kayaking, cave exploration, bird watching, sunset cruise, scuba diving, snorkling or just going about the different islands for picnics, its all no worries. The food are served fresh and delectable. My partner and i gained a couple of pounds from our 4 days stay at the resort. Over all my stay in Lagen is truly remarkable, i highly recommend this resort, its expensive but im telling you its all worth it.

Room Tip: Book earlier and request for the Water Cottage 109 on the Northwing. Youll get the best view of the...
4  Thank just_add_H20
Reviewed 4 May 2012

definitely a must place to go....rooms were spacious, staff is super friendly and accomodating,scenery is really paradise, breathtaking sunrise and great sunset view.....we stayed at lagen island. though price tag is a bit high, you will be blown away by the beautiful and peaceful scenery.....food is excellent with a wide array of choices.....the activities coordinator made sure they had personalized services in helping us arrange all our activities and made sure everything we wanted to do was arranged....a place to go for relaxation....worth the price tag....

1  Thank nunag1822
Reviewed 1 May 2012

After one night in Miniloc, we transferred to Lagen with little trouble. The rooms are big. So is the balcony. Just wonderful for taking in the view. I found the accommodations here to be more to my liking. Though it does not have a long beach like Miniloc, the pool more than compensates.

Our Water Cottages were beside a cliff. We were able to see unusual birds on the cliff like the Palawan Hornbill and White Breasted Eagle. My family also spotted monkeys. On the other side of the island , we saw a huge lizard, maybe 3 feet long with his tail. The water around the room is so clear that you can see the fish in the water.

On our first day, we hiked on a trail behind the resort. This took about 40 minutes. It was rather steep but doable. At the end of the trail, we found a short beach. The staff left kayaks for us there. And we kayaked back instead of walking again. This was a mere 15 minutes.

The next day, they brought us to other islands. We had lunch on one island. Afterwards, they brought us to other islands with caves. We entered one cave but the other one we could not. The guide told us that they have discontinued bringing tourists in so as not to disturb the bats that live there.

I also enjoyed the sunsets at Lagen. The pictures that I took are so pretty.

We thoroughly enjoyed our family trip. Though I am glad that we were able to stay at both resorts (Miniloc and Lagen), if I return, I would prefer to stay at Lagen.

Room Tip: Water Cotteges have the best view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Coellum
Reviewed 30 April 2012

El Nido Palawan is definitely a must place to go during ones lifetime. Brought the whole family including mother in law to this beautiful multiple island paradise. Regardless of price, one has to experience the beauty, serenity and the magic of El Nido, Palawan. We stayed at Lagen Island due to the suggestion if we are bringing young kids along, the resort offers a pool for their use and true enough after 1 whole day of island hopping and snorkling at the different islands where my 4 year old daughter and 1 year old son got scared/shocked from their first time snorkling experience at Miniloc where they were greeted by huge jack fishes along the breakwater... After that close encounter it was a good thing we stayed at Lagen... my kids were just too happy to stay out of the sea and be super contented to be just in the pool.

We had an unforgettable stay... views from our room was breathetaking and one could simply sit in the verandah the whole day staring at the signature sight of the resorts tall limestone formations. Rooms and rest rooms was clean, aircon was cold and very handy tool to beat the very hot weather and high humidity we experienced everyday for 3 nights and 4 days. Hotel staffs were all accomodating, professionals and always had warm smiles to show. The resort easily arranged our private island hoping tour. The guide assigned to us during our islands adventure (I think his name was Raffy) was very knowledgeable with the local geography and the local culture and he easily answered all our queries. This island hoping adventure is definitely a must when one visits El Nido. After an adventurous day we availed of the spa services of the resort.... it was great despite being a bit pricey.... it was all worth it! Even our 4 year old daughter enjoyed her 30min foot spa and had good words to say about it. Me and my mother in law had the traditional Filipino hilot massage while my wife had a spa package.... no complains of the service whatsoever! Everyone was very satisfied!

Some observations we noticed during our stay are the following: 1. to have more pool bartenders/waiters on standby in the pool area especially during the weekends. During our stay there was only 1 assigned to the area and when there were multiple orders for food and drinks, the staff assigned was nowhere to be found. 2. Food was generally ok but was expecting more seafood variety like crabs, maybe lobsters, mussels, clams etc. Though we had shrimps, local fish, squid and oysters during our stay they were not out of the ordinary. 3. One thing I took notice was after swimming with the kids last Sunday morning, the pool attendant requested us to leave our towels in the pool area instead of allowing us to bring them to the rooms which was allowed during the previous days. His reason is because he was running out of towels and he was expecting more guests to use the pool... my point was I had 2 young kids who were wet and needed towels to cover themselves up after a swim to go the rooms. For adults maybe ok but kids needs the towels to cover themselves up. This was sort of a turn off for me. 4. The aircon at the main dining lounge was not strong enough to accomodate the size of the whole room especially during summer... having a cool room to have lunch or dinner would have been an added comfort. 5. Pillows in the rooms were too soft for me and kinda low... had a slight stiff neck when i woke up.

Overall, we will definitely plan again in the very near future for another trip to El Nido maybe to the new island opening this October.... After being here, I do not see why Filipinos would go anywhere else in the world to have a good vacation to get sun, sand and sea....it's all here in the Philippines!!!! Thanks for all the lovely memories!

Room Tip: Either stay in the water cottages near the clubhouse, at the forest rooms or beach front cottages wo...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank PeggyLove
Reviewed 28 April 2012

(April 2011)

When I heard about this place, I was quite hesitant with the price tag associated with it even being all inclusive. From the moment the private charter landed, I was blown away with the scenery from the boat right to the hotel and the welcoming reception of singers.

The selection of food was also excellent ranging from the precooked and the fresh cooked right outside with the chefs. I think this is the most I've eaten on a trip in a very long time.

Our room was amazing and comfortable. It had the feeling of a wooded retreat but retained all it's modern aspects. The Water Cottage was built on stilts so when the high tide came in, the place looked absolutely amazing with the the cottages in surrounding the lagoon with the high forested cliff background. The afternoon showers also made for a great place to hang out on your balcony and just take a nap.

The staff was very helpful and most attentive. They even remembered out names after the first day as we strolled through the property. Our even coordinator was very helpful in arranging out activities and made sure everything we wanted to do fits us.

I absolutely loved this place and the surrounding. It was peaceful and definitely a place to go for relaxation and to be one with your surroundings.

4  Thank Aznboi88