“Amazing Island Getaway!”

Ranked #3 of 17 Hotels in El Nido
New York City, New York
“Amazing Island Getaway!”
Reviewed 31 January 2014

It was a tough choice, but after talking to friends and researching online, we decided to stay at El Nido Resort's Lagen Island. It was a good decision. Lagen Island and the surrounding islands is one of the most beautiful places I have visited. (And I have been to Santorini, Crete, Phuket, Bali and all the Hawaiian Island). We stayed in Water Cottage 110, which had the best view of the Sunset. We only had a few days. I wish we had at least one more full day, because the trip to El Nido takes the whole day. (But the ferry ride is beautiful, especially during Sunset! It's part of the adventure). There is a cruise ship feeling at times, especially when the activities director keeps asking what you plan to do the next day -- but when you are in paradise this seems less annoying. Our first full day we choose to hike over to the cove on the other side. (I felt like I was shooting an episode of "Lost"). It's a good hike (don't forget your mosquito spray!) up and down the mountain, but worth it. The cove is breathtaking. The resort staff delivered our snorkel gear, along with towels and a kayak to get back. The next day we visited the Little and Big Lagoon. We took a boat out and kayaked inside the Little Lagoon. If you don't want to do any activities, the pool is a great place to hang out. The staff was friendly and very accommodating. While, we love the trip, there is always room for improvement. The food was ok. It could have been better and maybe more Asian food. Beef Wellington? I'm in the Philippines. I would have preferred roast pig or some amazing Filipino fish dish. Also, the coffee could be better. Also, there was a narrow window for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I think they should add a "afternoon" snack and a late night snack. (On the other hand it did keep us from overeating!) The resort also contracts out the transfer to ITI airlines. For the price one pays for the airplane and transfer, ITI could arrange a shuttle to and from Manila International to the ITI airport. (Our cab driver had no idea where it was located. Thank goodness for Google Maps). But overall, amazing vacation. We can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for Water Cottage 109 or 110 if you want amazing sunsets from your room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank ErnieNYC7

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Lagen Island is one of four El Nido resorts properties, and generally lives up to its reputation as a very good resort, and a special place to retreat to. There are lots of activities, all part of the three day package, and the time goes by in a flash. It's all very professionally handled, with the staff efficient, polite and accommodating. Very good indeed! The only real drawback is that the food does not match the high quality of the rest of the services. Buffets are all well and good, but can become a little boring if they lack innovation and imagination. A simple fresh pasta counter for example could make it so much more interesting. Or some special fresh roasts. Also, the more popular dishes could be refreshed and replaced more often. And frankly, with seafood so abundant in the islands, it's surprising that there are not more fresh seafood dishes. Breakfast too could be made more interesting with fresh juices, better egg preparations, better bread, better coffee, etc. In any event, the resort can be recommended, and is a very environmentally friendly place which is a real plus.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Shahid Z
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Oh my God is all I can say! Beautiful place and amazing service! Fantastic resorts & ambiance! You must get the water villa! The staff from the security all the way to the Resort Manager is accommodating and welcoming! I honestly felt like I knew these people my whole life and that they were family. You must subscribe for the package the resort offers to be able to maximize your trip there! 2 whole days should be enough to see all the sights and beaches around Lagen! The food is amazing as well! Excellent chefs from the appetizers to the deserts! Exquisite Tiramisu! The worst part of the trip was when I had left, serenaded once again by most of the staff. They wave until they can no longer see you or your boat. I actually felt sad and it felt like I was leaving home.

To cut it short, go here it's well God damn worth it and beautiful!

Room Tip: Water Villa is a must! Separated into two sides of the resort. If you want privacy and don't min...
1 Thank AvidAppreciator
London, England
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I have stayed at both El Nido Miniloc Island Resort and El Nido Lagen Island Resort, the difference between the two resorts is vast.

Lagen Island Resort makes up for everything that Miniloc Island Resort lacks, well, almost everything.

Lagen has a very relaxed feel to it and is set on an island with truly breathtaking views. The water cottage rooms overlook the bay and have their own private balconies. The rooms are spotless, tastefully designed and fairly spacious with all the amenities you'd expected at a 4 star resort. The bathroom is modern, fairly large with powerful hot shower facilities.

Lagen also has an average size swimming pool with a bar nearby. Whether you are using the swimming pool or just having a drink at the bar and overlooking the ocean and the islands in the distance, you'll find yourself not wanting to leave.

There isn't really a beach as such at Lagen, so for any swimming or other water activities, the resort will shuttle you to one of a number of club houses they have on other islands. The transfer is usually about 15 minutes.

There are excellent spa services at Lagen and Internet connectivity seems pretty good throughout the resort.

The primarily let down at Lagen Island Resort is the food. The food quality is average and can be rather boring at times, so if you are here for a long time, you may start to get fed-up with the food.

All the staff at Lagen Island Resort are incredibly friendly and hospitable and will always go out of their way to make you feel like you are being looked after.

When staying at Lagen Island Resort, try to select a water cottage in the north wing, that is water cottages 109 through to 118. These will give you a more peaceful experience with added privacy. The other water cottages, 101 through to 108, are located on the south wing and are nearby the arrival area, so are convenient for quick access to the activity centre, swimming pool and restaurant, but won't perhaps be as quiet.

Room Tip: Pick water cottages 109 through to 118 for a more peaceful experience. These water cottages will als...
1 Thank Invisible_Shadow
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We stayed at the Lagen Resort for our honeymoon in early January.
The professional service and genuine care of the staff was second to none.
The water cottage that we stayed in was beautifully decorated and equipped for the humid, hot days/nights. The pool is sensational and the use of paddleboards and kayaks in the lagoon is great!
All our trips to neighbouring islands were fantastic and the Banca boys who took us there were just as friendly and entertaining.
Randy on the guitar each night at dinner was an absolute star, and all of the staff with their big smiles made us feel so welcome.
The food was great, I definitely recommend this resort to those looking for untouched beauty, discreet and professional service, and a great Filipino cultural experience.

Room Tip: Sunset water cottage was very romantic!
1 Thank Julia K
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I am lucky enough to be working on Palawan Is. I had 2 days off with my wife and wanted to go to El Nido. I have flown over and it looked so amazing from the air I had to visit. We decided on Lagen Is. WOW is all I can say. From the moment you arrive it feels surreal. A stunning vista with incredible ambiance. We stayed in a Water Cottage. It was quite large, beautifully furnished with every thing you need (or don't ie TV, Wifi etc). The pool is stunning. The food is outstanding. The best I have had in my 3 months in the Philippines!! By far. The staff are gracious and kind and always attentive to your needs.We just hung out and enjoyed the view from out room the first day. I was a spectacle just to sit and admire the beauty. The second day we took the nature hike from behind the dining area all the way to a secluded beach on the other side of the island. It was a lovely jungle hike with mammoth trees, sweet smells and lots of unusual noises. You end up at a beach, only us there, with some of the most colorful shells I have ever seen and a few hermit crabs finding their new homes. A speed boat picked us up and took us back for lunch. After lunch we went to the beach club (another beach about 30 min). There we enjoyed a fantastic Hobie Cat sail (they let me take it out, very rare from my experience) and then went snorkeling. Finished the day with another top notch dinner and watched the sunset from our expansive balcony. What is not to love is this most amazing of places. I hope you can get there. p.s No night life and very quiet and tranquil. Not for the party goers which was fine with us.Cant' wait to return!!!! It is costly and quite difficult to get too. But well worth the ride.

Room Tip: The Water Cottage are very nice, situated over the water. But any place is good at Lagen Is.
1 Thank TouristPilot
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

Great location, great staff, great food, great service, great logistics, great pool, great activities.... This place is worth every dollar!

The only thing that didn't work for me was the cd on repeat during breakfast....

Ensure you stay in a water cottage!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple