“Overall very pleasant, excellent value for money”

Royal Oberoi Resort Hotel
Ranked #35 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Reviewed 15 February 2012

Stayed here one night while ferrying an aircraft across Asia. Staff are pleasant and rooms are very nice. This is a smaller property - about 15 rooms - located in a secure, quiet, partially forested area away from the hustle and bustle of downtown. It's very much a quiet country lodge. The pool is huge and very well maintained. The central garden is very pleasant.

This hotel offers excellent value for money spent.

The wait staff (bar and restaurant) are not exactly 'the first dogs off the porch', so, don't sit around waiting for them to come to you - just give them a holler when you want service, and they'll come running.

I'll happily return here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the more expensive rooms. The price difference is negligible, and the rooms are grea...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank solotravellerCanada

Reviewed 11 February 2012

The Royal Oberoi Resort is a quite and nice place to stay if you want to see Honda Bay and the Underground River. Check out their website as they offer package deals, which included meal, airport transportation and 2-3 day tours.

Staff was very friendly and helpful in every situation and not limited to a special department.

We booked the Suite Villa for 4D3N, which was clean and comfortable equipped (Cable TV
Mini bar, FREE WiFi, Air conditioning, Ceiling fan, Tea and coffee making facilities)

The Hotel offers FREE WiFi all over their place not only limited to the lobby area.

Room Tip: The Suite Villa is located at the entrance of the resort and it has two storeys. At the upper floor...
Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank bthoenissen
Reviewed 10 February 2012

the place is very nice and relaxing. the staff are very corteous, nice and very accomodating. all thumbs up for their good customer service. one setback is that its quite far from the city. other than that... its highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank jennifercs135
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We stayed in a superior room and it was beautiful and so relaxing. Nice attention to detail, make it a very wonderful place to stay.

This was by far the nicest hotel we stayed in during this trip in The Philippines. It felt like it was kept to the higher international standards rather than local Filipino ones, without the high price tag you usual pay for those comforts! For those that have traveled the Philippines you'll know what I mean.

The food at the restaurant was delicious, we didn't want to eat out, which is also rare for a hotel experience!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Theqom
Reviewed 31 January 2012

We spent 4 nights in this hotel so we could visit the Underground River and Honda Bay. This hotel is located about 15-20 minutes by tricycle from the city proper of Puerto Princesa. If you want to be located in the city then this is not the place for you. I actually found the location ok as it is located off a main road down a dirt road in a peaceful and quiet spot. A tricycle ride will cost about 100 Php one way to PP City. A tip is if you are dining have the driver wait for you and it doesnt cost much more than 200Php return.It really depends on your negotiation skills. You will generally find tricycles outside the hotel gates otherwise just take a short walk up the dirt road where you will find many tricycles available on the main road.

The pool is apparently the largest pool in PP and has a nice swim up bar where you can enjoy a beverage in the pool. My only concern was that the day we arrived as the pool is also a public pool open to the locals and there were many locals in the pool that day which made it unappealing for me to swim that day.I dont enjoy crowded pools and dont find it relaxed if it is crowded. It great to read in a prior review that public access will be restricted in the future. Personally I believe that the pool shouldnt be open to the public.

Rooms were nice and there were nice added touches like flower petals on the bed. I did find some maintenance issues with our room as the shower flooded and you could see around the resort that some repairs were necessary. In fairness I did not report this issue. Mark the owner indicated that he has been away from the resort for some time and unfortunately the place wasnt maintained as it should have. His honesty was appreciated and he is addressing some of these issues.

Breakfast is plated and included in the tariff and is very basic but for an additional charge you can add extras. We found it great that we could organise breakfast the night before and have it delivered the room in the morning. Unfortunately at times the orders were not correct.

The staff were generally very helpful and obliging and housekeeping were very good. Doing extras such as folding up our clothes etc is very appreciated.

All in all I would stay here again. There isnt much around the area though and if you walk down the dirt road up to the main road there is a sari sari store where essential items can be purchased.

6  Thank tommomelbourne
Reviewed 31 January 2012

Just arrived back to Manila last night having spent 4days/3nights in this delightful hotel. Our trip to Palawan was made nigh on perfect due to the friendly and helpful staff not to mention the owners Rose and Mark. This hotel from my understanding, is a family run hotel that has operated for many years, but now Rose the daughter and her husband Mark are breathing new life into the hotel. They are in the process of renovating nearly everything, although in a discrete manner which does not interfere with the guests peace and tranquility.,
My wife, 9 year old granddaughter and self stayed in a suite villa, which was just perfect and the little touches such as the kissing swans arranged from the towels and decorated with fresh flowers made the welcome stand out.
We were met at the airport by a very friendly driver who took us promptly to the hotel,we checked in with the minimum amount of fuss, and were lucky enough to be able to go straight to our room, although it was only 10.30 am. The room was very nice and my granddaughter was enchanted both with the decor and the fact that we had two floors.
On the first day we went for the City Tour, the second day we went to The Underground River, something that anyone visiting the area must do, it is really an amazing experience and truly a wonder of nature.The third day we took the Honda Bay Island Hopping tour, again a wonderful experience swimming with and feeding all sorts of colorful fishes at islands with white sand beaches.
All these tours which the hotel arranged for us were a lot of fun, but the best was to get back to the hotel with its beautiful gardens and lovely pool and warm friendly helpful staff.
We ate breakfast each day in the restaurant, plus two dinners and two lunches, the food was excellent and plentiful as was the service. The other big attraction for my granddaughter was the two adorable kittens named button and zipper who seemed to act as the main hosts in the dinning room.
I could find a few little things that could be improved upon, such as I think a shower curtain in the bathroom would be an improvement as careful as you try to be the floor still gets splashed with water. But all in all everything made us very comfortable and at home.
The owners told us that they have stopped accepting swimmers from outside which seems to have upset previous guests. I think this is a very good idea as the grounds are beautiful and very relaxing, and to have an outside disturbance would be very off putting.

I feel that this hotel and its staff are in the realms of outstanding, and I'm sure with the current renovations in progress it will become even more so in the near future. It is not a question that we would stay again if we return to Palawan, its more a question of what excuse we can find to return to Palawan so that we can stay again.!!!!!

Room Tip: The Suite Villas have much more space while the additional cost is very little.
5  Thank rovertManila
Reviewed 29 January 2012

My boyfriend, niece, brother, his wife and I stayed at the Royal Oberoi a couple of weeks ago for a 4D/3N stay at their suite villa.

After a 20 hour USA-MNL-PPS trip, we were so happy to finally arrive at our destination. The hotel had arranged for our prompt pickup and, after a short check in with Kat, we finally got to our suite villa, a 2-story, quaint room with a queen canopy bed, bathroom and sitting area on the first floor and 2 queens, a refrigerator and balcony on the second floor. We all quickly changed to our bathing suits and made a beeline for the pool and bar. At the pool, we were greeted by Elisa, who promptly tended to our food and beverage order. The vegetables, crispy pata, sisig and garlic rice came out and, I'm sure it had a lot to do with the fact that we were all extremely excited about the fact that we were all excited about getting started on our trip, but this was my all-time favorite meal of the trip. Sitting at the pool, enjoying the meal with my family is also one of my best memories of the trip. We didn't think we'd be able to finish the mounds of food we ordered but we underestimated our appetites. Mark, one of the owners, stopped by as we lunched. His wife, Rose was in Manila for a trip (which is a shame as, after all we'd read, we wanted to meet her as well), but Mark was friendly, cordial, and was able to inform us of all manners of things such as local tipping customs, fair fares, shopping suggestions, etc. After lunch and a refreshing dip in the pool, we got ready for our half-day tour of the city, also arranged by the hotel. My only feedback is that the first two places the tour guide sent us to were both souvenir shops. We wasted a lot of time at these places and ended up running short at the actual sights. This is not the hotel's fault but thought I'd drop the tidbit for the next readers. That evening we ate at a lovely restaurant called Badjao, which I would also highly recommend to anyone visiting Puerto Princesa.

The next morning, the five of us enjoyed a languid breakfast at one of the outdoor tables on the property. Delicious!!! My niece had their pancakes which were soft, fluffy and HUGE. My brother and boyfriend each had pork tocino--cured and cooked to perfection. My sister-in-law had a ham and cheese omelette, and I had the pork adobo breakfast, both of which were so good. We also had fresh Filipino mangoes for dessert, plus the two complimentary breakfasts our package included. This complimentary breakfast is just a supplement, not an actual breakfast on which you may depend for full sustenance: a piece of toast, an egg and some fruit. That morning, I had requested Elisa to for Filipino salted egg and fresh tomato. She replied that the hotel didn't have salted egg but she would order some for me to serve at breakfast the following morning. How great is that? The only thing about that morning is that the cook was apparently out sick that day so Elisa was left on her own to take the orders, cook the food and serve it, except for the help of one other person whose duties didn't usually include the kitchen. Because of this, service was extremely slow. Luckily, we were scheduled on a private tour so we were able to delay our trip without inconveniencing anyone. We went on a the Honda Bay tour that day, again scheduled and organized by the hotel. Kat, at the front desk, was communicative and perfectly cordial, and our tour guide, a man named Kim, was knowledgeable, funny and very kind. We spent the day snorkeling and sunning at two of the islands. That evening, we walked the Bay to enjoy the evening air, and then dined at Kinabuch's, a large, well-run restaurant in the city with ridiculously good food.

Elisa took our order for the third morning's breakfast during the end of the prior day's breakfast so she greeted us at our suite with delicious Filipino coffee at 6am. Breakfast was much more prompt this day and I enjoyed the salted egg and fresh tomato--which was DELICIOUS!!!--as promised. That day we went to Sabang to zipline, take a paddle tour of the mangroves and float through the underground river--again, a tour organized by the hotel. What a lovely day that was! I will say, however, that we all believe that the buffet lunch they served at the tour gave us all upset stomachs. It's a risk we all take when traveling to another region of the world; just make sure you bring Imodium on your trip. That evening we had drinks and dinner at The Gypsy's Lair, great food with local music and local art, run by the lovely Ms. Dinggot, an ex-pat who lived in the US for a while before returning.

The following morning, we enjoyed our last breakfast, again tended to by Elisa, before we took the hotel van to the airport.

LOCATION: About twenty minutes outside of the city, @ P100 tricycle ride. It's not as conveniently located as some other hotels but it was totally worth it to us to be a little off the grid.

FOOD: Delicious! I wish we could have stayed longer, if only to enjoy the other menu items. We really wanted to take advantage of the food-inclusive package Mark had originally offered us when we were organizing our stay but knew there would be restaurants at which we would also wish to dine but if we were staying longer we definitely would have eaten more often at the hotel!

PREMISES: Well kept and clean. Mark mentioned that they would be remodeling areas of the hotel but we weren't inconvenienced by noise, smell or workers in the least. By the way, Mark and Rose have two adorable little kittens named Buttons and Zipper who are their own little star attraction on the premises.

ROOMS AND AMENITIES: The mattresses aren't the plush hotel mattresses but they sufficed. I'm sure Mark and Rose will be replacing all of them at some point but they were fine. Internet service was spotty on the second floor but much better on the first floor, albeit slow. But who goes to Palawan to go on the internet anyway? I was, frankly, happy that the internet wasn't readily available so we wouldn't lose my boyfriend or sister-in-law to work while we were vacationing. The bathroom is small and spartan, without a shower curtain and water that is barely warm. Honestly, it wasn't that big of a deal. We're pretty low-maintenance anyway so sharing a bathroom among five people wasn't terrible. Also, with the rest of the "pluses" the Royal Oberoi had to offer, a small bathroom as a "minus" is negligible. The hotel supplies an above-average Italian red and white wine which aren't readily available anywhere else so if you're wine geeks like a couple of people in our party, enjoy!

SERVICE: Always with a smile, always accommodating. It was a little slow once because Elisa was short-handed but, again, mishaps sometimes happen when you're in a faraway locale, isolated from the rest of the world. It's part of the experience of the vacation. We shrugged our shoulders and enjoyed ourselves anyway.

VALUE: So affordable! Although our breakfasts ended up being pretty expensive because we gorged ourselves every morning, our entire bill, including all the drinks we had throughout our stay, ended up being less than $200 per person. Wow!

OVERALL: This was our favorite part of a memorable trip to the Philippines. We had so many other destination choices, ranging from China to Vietnam to other tourist spots in the Philippines, but all of us are 100% pleased with our choice to visit Puerto Princesa, and to stay at the Royal Oberoi. Come visit before everyone finds out about this little secret!

Room Tip: - If you're more than two people, get the suite villa!
4  Thank okaydontpanic