“Awesome place and food!”

Royal Oberoi Resort Hotel
Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Lss Pinas city
“Awesome place and food!”
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Good place to stay. We rented a Villa for us coz we're 5. So comfortable. The Bed, linen designed to make us feel in a Royal place or room. Pool is well equipped and they clean the whole place from hour room to pool to the whole garden resort. So relaxing, (feels True Royal person). Food is deliciously prepared and cooked (Seafood platter is a must try) cheaper than I thought. Staff very accommodating. I'd like to go back here someday. We really had a wonderful time.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank annaliza b

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed at the Royal Oberoi for three nights. Hotel is in need of a good renovation but is relatively clean and tidy. THe staff are excellent and very helpful. Great pool area. While the hotel 'boasts' internet included/available it is like the days of dial up speed, extremely slow, there is no way that you could live stream. It appears that this is the case for internet across the island and in the majority of Philippines. Food is average. Location is a little out of town but the other resorts are similar distances and it is easy to get a tryke at the front door. If I came back to Peurto Princesa I would probably try one of the other resorts to get a better comparison. Overall was satisfactory.

Room Tip: Pool view room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 26 February 2014

I chose to stay at this hotel because I had not read any bad reviews of it on the agoda website. I should have looked a little harder.

Honestly, the room that I stayed in was fine. The TV reception did cut off for a few hours one day after a short blackout, and the wifi was weak, but overall that was okay. The phone in my room however was set on speaker phone and let out a high pitched squeal everytime I picked up the receiver. I told the front desk 3 times before they sent someone in to fix it.

On the way to this hotel from the airport the driver took about 27 turns and I thought if I rented a motorbike, I would never find this hotel again. Terry, in the front office, was very helpful and explained that it was just really one road that would get me in and out of town. I rented a bike for 500 pesos a day from the bike rental place (the only travel info found in the office, which was a little disturbing - since I had no idea what to do or where I was). 500 pesos too is pretty expensive (around $20 a day). I have rented a motorbike for $7 a day in Thailand.

Anyway, I went looking for Honda Bay on my motorbike and I had an accident. 2 days into my 6 day trip and I was stuck in bed at the Royal Oberoi in pain - not ideal circumstances. To be fair all the staff were very friendly and concerned about my condition.

I needed to order room service for the rest of my stay. When I finally got my room's phone fixed I called the restaurant (waited 90 seconds - no answer) I called the pool bar (waited 90 seconds - no answer) I called the reception (waited 90 seconds - no answer). Everytime I wanted to order room service. I had to dress all my wounds (as they were unsightly to the public) and this would take at least 45 mins to an hour, walk out my door very gingerly to the reception, and there was always someone there sitting right in front of the phone doing nothing, who took my room service order. I always asked why no one answered their phones, and never got an answer that made any sense. I was successful I think twice in ordering over the phone and the rest of the time I had to go through a long and arduous process to get ready to go outside my room to order. I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I was with this.

For their breakfast menu, I thought it was okay. However the spanish omelette was a paper thin omelette with a can of pork and beans in the middle. Not what I was expecting - very poor. I thought I would treat myself to some barbecue spare ribs, but they were undercooked - kinda scary. I ordered their Royal Oberoi Super Salad, and that was cucumbers, green tomatoes (unripe?) ginger chili and pomelo (grapefruit like citrus). That was so incredibly spicy, my mouth was on spice fire, and there was nothing really staple in the salad to calm that down. It was kind of a spice salad minus the other vegetables - yikes!!

After some not so tasty dishes I thought I would play it safe and just get a burger. I thought surely they can't mess up a burger. I thought wrong - the burger was charred black and burned on the outside and raw in places in the middle - gross. It also was a very strange tasting beef???? maybe waterbeefalo? or Captain Beefheart? Also the fries served tasted like chewing on a styrofoam cup. Once again the use of flavorless green tomatoes???

I can say there was one dish that they didn't mess up and that was a stir fry chicken dish called Kong Fu Chicken. This was actually quite tasty. However while I was eating this I chomped down on something very hard. I thought it was bone or something. It turned out to be a big chunk of broken glass, which I carefully removed from my mouth and drew attention to when the waiter came to pick up my plate. Scary!!

After all my scary experiences I thought that I should play it safe and order pizza. I mean how can you mess up pizza? bread, sauce, cheese, toppings voila. I have done my fair share of travelling around the world and I have eaten pizza that has not been that great (The best I've eaten was from a pizza delivery place outside Princeton University in New Jersey USA), but I can honestly say that the Royal Oberoi pizza is the worst pizza I have ever tried to eat.

Roughly, it was advertised as a hawaiian pizza with prawns (shrimp). What was delivered to my door was obviously cooked on the dinner plate it was served on. The crust was crispy on the outer circumference and was uncooked sloppy dough everywhere else. I couldn't recognize what any of the toppings were. I can only describe it as a primordial ooze. I did my best to eat it but the raw dough was making me ill. There were no prawns on this pizza but there was a brown sludge that could have been shrimp paste. I ate the melted cheese off the top. In there somewhere I found a pineapple chunk. Reliving this memory is making me ill. I put 2/3's of what was served to me back outside the door, praying for the welfare of any stray animals who would be tempted to try it. Do planet earth a favor and please remove any pizza items from your menu.

If I wasn't incapacitated and needing room service, I probably would have not been tainted by their poor cooking skills.

The staff were very nice people. The pool looked very inviting. There are definitely good things at Royal Oberoi, but what comes out of their kitchen is just plain bad.

PS Please remove the milk from the mango shakes and watermelon shakes. Fruit plus ice plus a little bit of sugar is heaven on earth. Adding milk to these shakes is just plain wrong. Also I ordered a calamansi juice and it came to my table sufficiently watered down and sweetened to be just like a tame lime juice. Calamansi is very tart and it should be blended with ice and tempered only with a tiny bit of sugar to experience it's super tangy tartness. It's a natural wonder please don't tame it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank dtcha
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed 20 February 2014

We booked hotel over phone, as we were choosing out of 2 hotels in palawan. As soon as we got confirmation we canceled the 1st one. After we thought everything is settled they called as back and told thay after one night we will have to move to another room, as someone requested pool view !? Then they trasnfered us to a room with no view.
Food is poor, comes cold, coctails sounds international but tastes weird.
Watch out when ordering.

• Stayed February 2014
3 Thank Mindo S
RoyalOberoi, Manager at Royal Oberoi Resort Hotel, responded to this review, 28 February 2014
Dear Mindo S

Firstly I would like to thank you for staying with us at the Royal Oberoi.

I wanted to address some of your comments on our review.

We do apologise for having to move you to another room on the second day of your stay, but we had already booked that room two weeks previously. We did actually inform you about the room change on the phone when you booked your stay and at the time you did say that this was OK.

Our food and presentation of our food is some of the best on the island and I apologise if you didn't like it. All of our guests comment on how good their meals have been at the Royal Oberoi.

I would like to thank you again for your review. Reviews positive or negative are very important to us here at the Oberoi and we strive to make sure everybody has a perfect stay.

Best Regards
Terry Davis
Osan, South Korea
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We had the most wonderful time in Puerto Princesa. We chose to stay at Royal Oberoi Resort from the recommendation of a friend. We booked a room for 2 adults and 2 older children. The room was clean and cozy, the mattresses were a little springy but we didn't go to The Philippines for the room. We were so happy with the resort. It is far away from the city and beaches, but we knew that beforehand. Mark, the owner of the resort was very accommodating. He helped us plan all of our tours and trips throughout Palawan. The pool was amazing and clean. The chef was fantastic. He even made food for us that wasn't on the menu. The staff was beyond helpful and so very nice. A ray of sunshine each and every time we needed something. The pool has a swim up bar and the drinks were very inexpensive. We enjoyed tours to the Underground River, to the neighboring islands, snorkeling and a city tour. Each time we were picked up at the resort and assisted along every stop along the way. We loved our trip and will forever be thankful for this amazing Spring Break trip.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jessihead
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 14 February 2014

very nice place, big swimming pool with a little one for the kids.and specially very very good restaurant. we enjoyed alot the food there. our room was comfortable and clean with hot water and air conditioner. good breakfast. you can have your meal in sweeming pool area or in the restaurant. it is close to fruit and fish market so you can enjoy to take a walk .the only weak point is that it is far from nice see side

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Basel
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I travelled Puerto Princessa with my family and friends and we were really excited about this vacation. On arrival at the hotel our first impression was not that great as the hotel reception area was quite small and very unlike of a "Royal Reception". When we entered our rooms we found rooms were clean however there was no view as window of one of the rooms were opening to the walls of other cottages. This was reported by my friend to front desk and it was well attended, we were shifted to better rooms (Suite Villas) with a nominal charge which made us little happy. Let me start with our experiences on each of the areas of this hotel:
1) Food and Beverage department :
Excellent Service : Will rate 5 star for the courteousness and willingness to serve the customers
Good Food Quality : Will rate 4.5 star as we are Vegetarians and the choices were limited but the Chef and his team tried their very best in providing us the best food we can have during our stay. The supplies in terms of variety of vegetables though need to be provided to F&B team to cater to the needs.
Great Hospitality : We were travelling with very young kids and the Chef and his team made us feel at home by catering to our kids special diet requirements. 5 Stars for that.
2) Facilities :

Pool :This resort has a huge pool (100 m) which looks very beautiful and eye pleasing with clean water. The only catch is that the water levels are quite deep (min 5 feet and max 8 feet) which restricts the usage of the pool to only the efficient swimmers and beginners like me sometime have to struggle (specially when on 3rd day of my stay water level were 3 inches more than my usual expected levels :-) 4 stars for the beautiful pool and pool bar.
The pool chairs were sufficient for us during our stay but would suggest to increase the numbers as if there would have been few guests more there would have been some shortage.

The management can think of adding some more options like snooker table or table tennis which can provide options of in house entertainment during a rainy day.

Spa : Our better halves tried the massage services being offered in the hotel and they seems to be satisfied 4 stars on that.

Quality of the Toilets and Shower near pool area can be improved a little bit.

3)Rooms and Villas : Our first impression of the suite villas was "wow" it was nicely decorated with wooden art effects every where. It was a two floor villa with beautiful wooden bed at the ground floor and the en suite bathroom. The wooden stairs lead us to the first floor which has 2 queen size beds, a TV and mini bar/fridge. Air conditioner was on the first floor and a fan is provided in the ground floor. The phone set was at the first floor which made us do some physical exercise every time it rang when we were at ground floor, thus a cordless or an extension at the ground floor is highly recommended, similarly a loo at the first floor will greatly help to the families with young kids :-).
There was a beautiful balcony with marble table but it faced the front side while the windows faced the pool side, how wonderful it would have been if balconies would have faced the pool side.
4 star for the rooms and Villas and the comfort level.

4) Wifi and Internet : The connectivity was available throughout the resort however signals were little weak, about which Manager Terry assured us that he is working on it.

We will definitely like to make special mention of the Chef and his team including the servers, front desk staff Mike, House keeping and Manager Terry.

Some minor hiccups, structural design and un availability of few things like fitness center or in house entertainment facilities made me give a 4 Star overall rating otherwise from service point of view its a 5 star experience.

Room Tip: If you are a family will advise to take Suite Villas which has beautiful view of swimming pool from...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family