“Royal Treatment” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Royal Oberoi Resort Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Royal Oberoi Resort Hotel
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
Sunnyvale, California
“Royal Treatment”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2014

There were 8 of us adults and 2 babies who shared 2 suites with 3 beds. The hotel calls these suites villas. We initially checked in with one of the villas that have only 2 beds and a corrugated roof view facing a mango tree. Management heeded our discontent and moved us instantly to a 3 bed villa overlooking their pools and beautiful garden. Indeed the landscape is so beautiful, my family and I were just posing for picture, capturing every beautiful corner of Royal Oberoi. Not only is the garden beautiful but so are all the staff. Ping Quatro , manager, catered to all our needs with the best customer service I've ever encountered. He always starts our day with a big smile. And made sure we experienced Puerto Princessa. Anyone can tell how proud he is of this place. These are some of the "above and beyond" gestures he and the hotel staff did for us:
1. He arranged for their kitchen to prepare our breakfast early for an early tour. The kitchen crew catered our breakfast 30 minutes earlier than their scheduled time.
2. He made reservations for us at Ka'Lui, one of the best seafood restaurants in town. Making reservations for a large group of people requires a deposit, and Ping kindly drove to town to give the deposit for us. That was a place to experience as well.
3. He arranged for a body massage session for us adults. It took 3 hours taking turns, but boy did I relax to the fullest. After a tiresome tour, I woke from the massage from my own snore.
4. On our 4th day, we were looking for more fun to tour. Ping arranged our Irawan tour with a very short notice.
This hotel truly treats you like royalty, the name so deserves it. The ambience and the staff are beautiful. My family and I will forever cherish our Palawan trip. Beautiful memories are carved in our brains.

Room Tip: Ask for the villas overlooking the pool and/or the gardens
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Trudy F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
Montmagny, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Fear price, nice little reasor, clean, staff really helpfull to organize tour etc...good food, out of town. Big pool and good massage. Alway someone aroud for service...a good choice in the area. Easy to find transport at the hotel and easy to find your way back its well know.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Valenzuela, Philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

When going to Palawan, the hotel is not really that important because you'll be spending most of your time outside. This is the usual perception that people have when going to Puerto Princesa so it's nice to see a hotel that actually made us want to stay within the hotel premises.

The staff are very courteous. They are very accommodating and quite friendly. The only negative I can say about the staff is that there needs to be more of them especially in the restaurant/bar areas. There were times when we wanted to order something but can't find a waiter to take our orders. We sometimes need to stand up from our table and look for someone who can accommodate us.

The food is hit and miss. There are some items that we loved(shrimp, pork spare ribs, and burger) while there are also some that we didn't really like(pork liempo, pizza, and pancit(noodles)). Their seafoods are quite good so I suggest trying them out. I don't know why but it takes quite a while for the food we ordered to arrive so for those ordering, make sure to bring your patience.

The main attraction of the hotel is the pool. The main pool is quite big and can accommodate a number of people. The pool depth ranges from 5-8 feet so non swimmers must always be careful. There is a kiddie pool besides the main pool(my 2 yr old niece loved this). There is also a poolside bar where you can order drinks while swimming.

The location of the hotel is near the airport. We opted to avail of their transfer service. The van was already in the airport when we arrived so we experienced no hassle at all. The hotel is also perfectly located because travel time to most tourist destinations are quite reasonable. We hired a tourist van that brought us wherever we wanted to go. Tourist vans can be quite expensive so for those on a budget, you can try riding a tricycle(The guards will flag one if you need a ride).

We stayed in the villa(2 floors). It had 3 queen sized beds so a maximum of 6 persons can stay. Amenities are basic. There's one TV set that has cable with an adequate amount of channels. There is also free wifi which is quite slow(I'm already used to slow hotel wifi so I'm not really surprised with this). There's soap and shampoo but no toothpaste so make sure to bring one. The aircon is not that powerful so it wasn't able to cool the whole villa enough especially during the afternoon. They need to use more powerful air-conditioning units especially to the villas. Overall, the room is clean. I only tried room service once when I ordered some ice cream. It took a couple of rings but some did answer my call.

The room prices are quite reasonable. It's not cheap but it is reasonable for the type of room that we got. Food prices are on the high end so for those on a budget, I suggest eating out. Their massage service is quite expensive at 700 pesos. I suggest getting a masseuse outside for half the price.

Room Tip: Get the pool view rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Oscar A
Pasadena, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

One night stay only before going to EN. Big pool , quiet place and above all great food. The wife loves the crab and reasonable price. A little bit far from the center of the city, but we like the seclusion. The staff are friendly and attentive to our needs.

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank neborr357
Lss Pinas city
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Good place to stay. We rented a Villa for us coz we're 5. So comfortable. The Bed, linen designed to make us feel in a Royal place or room. Pool is well equipped and they clean the whole place from hour room to pool to the whole garden resort. So relaxing, (feels True Royal person). Food is deliciously prepared and cooked (Seafood platter is a must try) cheaper than I thought. Staff very accommodating. I'd like to go back here someday. We really had a wonderful time.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank annaliza b
Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed at the Royal Oberoi for three nights. Hotel is in need of a good renovation but is relatively clean and tidy. THe staff are excellent and very helpful. Great pool area. While the hotel 'boasts' internet included/available it is like the days of dial up speed, extremely slow, there is no way that you could live stream. It appears that this is the case for internet across the island and in the majority of Philippines. Food is average. Location is a little out of town but the other resorts are similar distances and it is easy to get a tryke at the front door. If I came back to Peurto Princesa I would probably try one of the other resorts to get a better comparison. Overall was satisfactory.

Room Tip: Pool view room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Seoul, South Korea
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2014

I chose to stay at this hotel because I had not read any bad reviews of it on the agoda website. I should have looked a little harder.

Honestly, the room that I stayed in was fine. The TV reception did cut off for a few hours one day after a short blackout, and the wifi was weak, but overall that was okay. The phone in my room however was set on speaker phone and let out a high pitched squeal everytime I picked up the receiver. I told the front desk 3 times before they sent someone in to fix it.

On the way to this hotel from the airport the driver took about 27 turns and I thought if I rented a motorbike, I would never find this hotel again. Terry, in the front office, was very helpful and explained that it was just really one road that would get me in and out of town. I rented a bike for 500 pesos a day from the bike rental place (the only travel info found in the office, which was a little disturbing - since I had no idea what to do or where I was). 500 pesos too is pretty expensive (around $20 a day). I have rented a motorbike for $7 a day in Thailand.

Anyway, I went looking for Honda Bay on my motorbike and I had an accident. 2 days into my 6 day trip and I was stuck in bed at the Royal Oberoi in pain - not ideal circumstances. To be fair all the staff were very friendly and concerned about my condition.

I needed to order room service for the rest of my stay. When I finally got my room's phone fixed I called the restaurant (waited 90 seconds - no answer) I called the pool bar (waited 90 seconds - no answer) I called the reception (waited 90 seconds - no answer). Everytime I wanted to order room service. I had to dress all my wounds (as they were unsightly to the public) and this would take at least 45 mins to an hour, walk out my door very gingerly to the reception, and there was always someone there sitting right in front of the phone doing nothing, who took my room service order. I always asked why no one answered their phones, and never got an answer that made any sense. I was successful I think twice in ordering over the phone and the rest of the time I had to go through a long and arduous process to get ready to go outside my room to order. I can't begin to tell you how frustrated I was with this.

For their breakfast menu, I thought it was okay. However the spanish omelette was a paper thin omelette with a can of pork and beans in the middle. Not what I was expecting - very poor. I thought I would treat myself to some barbecue spare ribs, but they were undercooked - kinda scary. I ordered their Royal Oberoi Super Salad, and that was cucumbers, green tomatoes (unripe?) ginger chili and pomelo (grapefruit like citrus). That was so incredibly spicy, my mouth was on spice fire, and there was nothing really staple in the salad to calm that down. It was kind of a spice salad minus the other vegetables - yikes!!

After some not so tasty dishes I thought I would play it safe and just get a burger. I thought surely they can't mess up a burger. I thought wrong - the burger was charred black and burned on the outside and raw in places in the middle - gross. It also was a very strange tasting beef???? maybe waterbeefalo? or Captain Beefheart? Also the fries served tasted like chewing on a styrofoam cup. Once again the use of flavorless green tomatoes???

I can say there was one dish that they didn't mess up and that was a stir fry chicken dish called Kong Fu Chicken. This was actually quite tasty. However while I was eating this I chomped down on something very hard. I thought it was bone or something. It turned out to be a big chunk of broken glass, which I carefully removed from my mouth and drew attention to when the waiter came to pick up my plate. Scary!!

After all my scary experiences I thought that I should play it safe and order pizza. I mean how can you mess up pizza? bread, sauce, cheese, toppings voila. I have done my fair share of travelling around the world and I have eaten pizza that has not been that great (The best I've eaten was from a pizza delivery place outside Princeton University in New Jersey USA), but I can honestly say that the Royal Oberoi pizza is the worst pizza I have ever tried to eat.

Roughly, it was advertised as a hawaiian pizza with prawns (shrimp). What was delivered to my door was obviously cooked on the dinner plate it was served on. The crust was crispy on the outer circumference and was uncooked sloppy dough everywhere else. I couldn't recognize what any of the toppings were. I can only describe it as a primordial ooze. I did my best to eat it but the raw dough was making me ill. There were no prawns on this pizza but there was a brown sludge that could have been shrimp paste. I ate the melted cheese off the top. In there somewhere I found a pineapple chunk. Reliving this memory is making me ill. I put 2/3's of what was served to me back outside the door, praying for the welfare of any stray animals who would be tempted to try it. Do planet earth a favor and please remove any pizza items from your menu.

If I wasn't incapacitated and needing room service, I probably would have not been tainted by their poor cooking skills.

The staff were very nice people. The pool looked very inviting. There are definitely good things at Royal Oberoi, but what comes out of their kitchen is just plain bad.

PS Please remove the milk from the mango shakes and watermelon shakes. Fruit plus ice plus a little bit of sugar is heaven on earth. Adding milk to these shakes is just plain wrong. Also I ordered a calamansi juice and it came to my table sufficiently watered down and sweetened to be just like a tame lime juice. Calamansi is very tart and it should be blended with ice and tempered only with a tiny bit of sugar to experience it's super tangy tartness. It's a natural wonder please don't tame it.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo