“Great value”

Ranked #34 of 50 Hotels in Puerto Princesa
texas
“Great value”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Prior to our livaboard diving trip, my group of 12 overnighted at this hotel for two days.

The grounds look exactly like the pictures. The staff was VERY helpful and friendly. No complaints regarding the personnel.

We had the deluxe rooms: a living are and a large king sized bed.
The air conditioners worked nicely for us. However, there were some in the group that wished the unit was in the bedroom area and not in the living room area. I found this a warrantless complaint, since the unit kept both rooms cool.

The massages were good. All but five of us used this service. No complaints.
I always like to have massages done in every country I visit. They are always different in approach and technique.

The restaurant food did not live up to the previous reviews. Breakfast was included in the room fee. Breakfast was more than sufficient in quantity and quality. However, the rest of the meals was hit or miss. First, the meal is a la carte. Be sure to order your rice as it does not come with the entree. Second,
the seafood platter was sub par for me. It is not that it was bad, just not way I like my seafood seasoned and prepared. I had what was equivalent to a stew, that was excellent.

Please note that this hotel is not near to restaurants. You will have to walk to take a taxi to the busy sections of town. This was not an issue for us, since we only had one evening meal to worry about.

Room Tip: I would suggest asking for the top floor deluxe rooms. Great views and larger rooms.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank scubanutty

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Indonesian first
Sunnyvale, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

There were 8 of us adults and 2 babies who shared 2 suites with 3 beds. The hotel calls these suites villas. We initially checked in with one of the villas that have only 2 beds and a corrugated roof view facing a mango tree. Management heeded our discontent and moved us instantly to a 3 bed villa overlooking their pools and beautiful garden. Indeed the landscape is so beautiful, my family and I were just posing for picture, capturing every beautiful corner of Royal Oberoi. Not only is the garden beautiful but so are all the staff. Ping Quatro , manager, catered to all our needs with the best customer service I've ever encountered. He always starts our day with a big smile. And made sure we experienced Puerto Princessa. Anyone can tell how proud he is of this place. These are some of the "above and beyond" gestures he and the hotel staff did for us:
1. He arranged for their kitchen to prepare our breakfast early for an early tour. The kitchen crew catered our breakfast 30 minutes earlier than their scheduled time.
2. He made reservations for us at Ka'Lui, one of the best seafood restaurants in town. Making reservations for a large group of people requires a deposit, and Ping kindly drove to town to give the deposit for us. That was a place to experience as well.
3. He arranged for a body massage session for us adults. It took 3 hours taking turns, but boy did I relax to the fullest. After a tiresome tour, I woke from the massage from my own snore.
4. On our 4th day, we were looking for more fun to tour. Ping arranged our Irawan tour with a very short notice.
This hotel truly treats you like royalty, the name so deserves it. The ambience and the staff are beautiful. My family and I will forever cherish our Palawan trip. Beautiful memories are carved in our brains.

Room Tip: Ask for the villas overlooking the pool and/or the gardens
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Trudy F
Montmagny, Canada
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Fear price, nice little reasor, clean, staff really helpfull to organize tour etc...good food, out of town. Big pool and good massage. Alway someone aroud for service...a good choice in the area. Easy to find transport at the hotel and easy to find your way back its well know.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Valenzuela, Philippines
Reviewed 10 April 2014

When going to Palawan, the hotel is not really that important because you'll be spending most of your time outside. This is the usual perception that people have when going to Puerto Princesa so it's nice to see a hotel that actually made us want to stay within the hotel premises.

The staff are very courteous. They are very accommodating and quite friendly. The only negative I can say about the staff is that there needs to be more of them especially in the restaurant/bar areas. There were times when we wanted to order something but can't find a waiter to take our orders. We sometimes need to stand up from our table and look for someone who can accommodate us.

The food is hit and miss. There are some items that we loved(shrimp, pork spare ribs, and burger) while there are also some that we didn't really like(pork liempo, pizza, and pancit(noodles)). Their seafoods are quite good so I suggest trying them out. I don't know why but it takes quite a while for the food we ordered to arrive so for those ordering, make sure to bring your patience.

The main attraction of the hotel is the pool. The main pool is quite big and can accommodate a number of people. The pool depth ranges from 5-8 feet so non swimmers must always be careful. There is a kiddie pool besides the main pool(my 2 yr old niece loved this). There is also a poolside bar where you can order drinks while swimming.

The location of the hotel is near the airport. We opted to avail of their transfer service. The van was already in the airport when we arrived so we experienced no hassle at all. The hotel is also perfectly located because travel time to most tourist destinations are quite reasonable. We hired a tourist van that brought us wherever we wanted to go. Tourist vans can be quite expensive so for those on a budget, you can try riding a tricycle(The guards will flag one if you need a ride).

We stayed in the villa(2 floors). It had 3 queen sized beds so a maximum of 6 persons can stay. Amenities are basic. There's one TV set that has cable with an adequate amount of channels. There is also free wifi which is quite slow(I'm already used to slow hotel wifi so I'm not really surprised with this). There's soap and shampoo but no toothpaste so make sure to bring one. The aircon is not that powerful so it wasn't able to cool the whole villa enough especially during the afternoon. They need to use more powerful air-conditioning units especially to the villas. Overall, the room is clean. I only tried room service once when I ordered some ice cream. It took a couple of rings but some did answer my call.

The room prices are quite reasonable. It's not cheap but it is reasonable for the type of room that we got. Food prices are on the high end so for those on a budget, I suggest eating out. Their massage service is quite expensive at 700 pesos. I suggest getting a masseuse outside for half the price.

Room Tip: Get the pool view rooms
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Oscar A
Pasadena, California
Reviewed 7 April 2014 via mobile

One night stay only before going to EN. Big pool , quiet place and above all great food. The wife loves the crab and reasonable price. A little bit far from the center of the city, but we like the seclusion. The staff are friendly and attentive to our needs.

Stayed March 2014
3 Thank neborr357
Lss Pinas city
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Good place to stay. We rented a Villa for us coz we're 5. So comfortable. The Bed, linen designed to make us feel in a Royal place or room. Pool is well equipped and they clean the whole place from hour room to pool to the whole garden resort. So relaxing, (feels True Royal person). Food is deliciously prepared and cooked (Seafood platter is a must try) cheaper than I thought. Staff very accommodating. I'd like to go back here someday. We really had a wonderful time.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank annaliza b
Australia
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed at the Royal Oberoi for three nights. Hotel is in need of a good renovation but is relatively clean and tidy. THe staff are excellent and very helpful. Great pool area. While the hotel 'boasts' internet included/available it is like the days of dial up speed, extremely slow, there is no way that you could live stream. It appears that this is the case for internet across the island and in the majority of Philippines. Food is average. Location is a little out of town but the other resorts are similar distances and it is easy to get a tryke at the front door. If I came back to Peurto Princesa I would probably try one of the other resorts to get a better comparison. Overall was satisfactory.

Room Tip: Pool view room
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends