“Marina de Bay :)”
Review of Marina De Bay

Marina De Bay
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

Marina de bay resort in puerto princesa, palawan met my expectations. They're about 20 mins away from the airport and they offer transfers in comfortable vans. They are quite flexible in terms of check-in/check-out time which becomes cruicial when you have tours before your return flight. In our case, they let us extend the check-out time from the usual 12nn to 3:30pm for our 5:30pm flight back to manila. They also arrange tours with other agencies, but if you are budget-conscious, i'd recommend you to compare prices. They arranged our firefly tour (P1,200/pax with set dinner, transfers), underground river tour (P1,500 with buffet lunch, transfers) and honda bay island hopping tour (P1,200 with buffet lunch and transfers + optional P150 for snorkel and P150 for aqua shoes. Note: tour guides would normally say you may need aqua shoes because it's sea urchin season. That may not necessarily be true.) marina de bay's accommodations seems fair for the price (we got the voucher from ensogo at P1,700/pax for 3D/2N). They offer old brick villas with 1 queen sized bed, 1 single bed, and a pull-out mattress, hot/cold shower, bidet ( i love resorts with bidet), and a small veranda overlooking mangroves). They have a nice floating resto. I recommend grilled squid and mussle soup). Their pools face the bay (1 big pool, 1 small pool, 1 jacuzzi. They charge extra if you want bubbles on the jacuzzi. ????) the pools are toddler-friendly too! Breakfast is inclusive of the fee but depending on number of guests, they either serve set meals or buffet. If you want to go to the city, you can rent the van for 1-way trip for P320, or P2,000 for 4 hours. But they have free drop-off and pick-up to and from the city at shakey's. The staff are accommodating and friendly but are too laid back. They sometimes forget your order.. Hehe. Overall, the experience was good.

Stayed: May 2014
There are newer reviews for Marina De Bay

Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

A place to totally enjoy nature. Clean and spacious rooms friendly staff and everyplace you go you got a nice view of the lagoon or the mangrove. You'll enjoy reading a book or just sit down, relax and enjoy the view of the sunset

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed from Dec 26-30.although we booked only a day before,we were surprised that there was a shuttle to pick us up at the airport even though we did not make prior arrangements. There was a welcome drink for all the guest who arrived at the resort.

Here are our + points for the resort:
1. All Staff are very accomodating.they entertain all our concerns and queries
2. The ambiance is excellent.
3. Rooms are big enough for the family
4.foods have variety and our budget friendly

Things need to improve to:
1. Improve room hygiene.some parts of the room have termites already which may cause detoriaration of the facilities
2. Check lightings as there are busted bulbs already
3. The kiddie pool needs to be cleaned.our kids was not able to use the pool
4. Consider having additional activities on the resort so as to make guest have a more enjoyable stay at the resort
5, make cable tv availble on each rooms
6. Provide hi speed wifi network

Also, we know that this is beyond your control but it wil be very helpful if the road going to your hotel will either be cemented or asphalted. This will definitely play a role in whether guest will decide to return at your resort. We dont mind not staying at the city proper but it will be very helpful if the ride is comfortable and not a bumpy one.

Overall,i can say that it was a very memorable and enjoyable stay in Marina de Bay. All the staff are so warm and treated us with utmost pampering.

Regards and God bless!!!

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank denzel1028
Reviewed 9 December 2013

The Room:
We stayed for 4 nights in one of the Executive Suite Villas which faced the mangroves and the bay (Alpha or Delta, not sure which room exactly). The room was very large (definitely earned the title of "suite" for me), although it was only a single room plus the bathroom. Large, wrap-around windows covered two entire walls and let in a great amount of sunshine and offered fairly nice but not spectacular views of the water. The room and linens were clean, the bed was comfy, the water was hot and the air conditioner worked well.

Tours:
We booked a number of tours through the hotel in advance of our arrival. The rates were the same as I had found elsewhere, so for no additional cost it was nice to have the convenience of the hotel making the necessary bookings for us. This was especially true for the underground river tour, which has a limited number of spaces each day for environmental preservation reasons. We also did a scuba tour, the City Tour, the Firefly Tour and maybe one other that I can't think of. All were fun and definitely worth the time and money (although diving is so much better in El Nido, just like the hotel staff had told me before we booked). The staff reminded us about our tour schedules ahead of time so we knew when to wake up and have breakfast, etc.

The Food:
Breakfast was included in our hotel stay, so I'm not sure how much it normally is, but it was really good. They have a list of maybe 6-8 traditional Filipino breakfasts and so we just each chose a new one each morning. Some better than others, but in my opinion all worth trying. The garlic rice is fantastic even just by itself. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant just once or twice. The food was also good, but in my opinion just a little overpriced compared to what you could get outside of the hotel (although at just USD 12-15/person, it's still not expensive). Plus in general I think it's more fun to eat outside of your hotel (although eatting outside may not be an option if you're already back at the hotel for the evening since the hotel is quite far from the city center).

Location:
The location was good and bad for different reasons. The hotel is quite far (maybe 20-25 minute tricycle ride) from the downtown area, with maybe 5-10 minutes of that nearest to the hotel going along a very bumpy dirt road. Being away from the city lights and sounds made staying there much more exotic and peaceful for me. I felt very far away from the bustle of the city, and to me that was relaxing. I wasn't going into the city 4-5 times per day. We left the hotel for our tours in the morning and generally stayed out until we were done for the day, so a longer commute wasn't a big deal for us. Plus, I've read a few reviews complaining about the cost of a tricycle from the city to the hotel. We never paid more than PHP 250 as far as I can remember. That's around USD 5-6. Not bad at all. To get such a large room, as clean and as relaxing as this hotel but smack in the city center would have cost a lot more than that taxi ride. We occassionally had some problems with the tricycle drivers not knowing where the hotel was, but after they asked one or two other drivers for directions we were off with no problem. I would guess that's a problem with all hotels except for the huge ones (Hilton, etc.).

Service:
1) When I booked our room, I booked the room plus several tours. Then a few days later I was looking through their website again and noticed that the room and several of the tours I had booked were included in a package deal that was a good bit cheaper than what I had paid. I sent an e-mail to the hotel explaining what had happened and asking if I could get the package rate. No problem at all, they told me. Since I had only paid something like 50% as a deposit, they changed the total price, credited me for the deposit I had already made and then I was all set for an even cheaper vacation than I had been expecting.

2) The Philippines is overflowing with delicious fruits. We bought a bag of mangos, pineapple, mangosteins and some other things and brought them back to the hotel for a snack later. We called roomservice and asked if we could have a knife to cut the fruit and instead they took our fruit and came back with a gorgeous fruit basket. Everything chopped up and beautifully displayed. Really, really great service without even asking for it. They set it up for us at one table in their restaurant which sits apart from the rest, overlooking the bay. It was a beautiful and romatic setting. Perfect end to the day.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Executive Suite Villa facing the mangroves and bay (Alpha or Delta), which was nice...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael A
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Everything was great, except the distance from the the city and activities. The staff and all entities involved with the operation were top notch. Very helpful and went out of their way to assist you in your needs. I have read some bad opinions of the "T" house out on the pier. The opinions are not that true. We had a nice light dinner there and enjoyed the peacefulness of it all. There were some people doing some karioke and we even joined in. I say peacefulness because there were no other noises (motor, people yelling, clanging, etc), just the singing and then the sound of the water underneath when there wasn't any singing. My ONLY disappointment was the distance to/from the city. It wouldn't be so bad, if they provided a more than one time shuttle service, which was from 6:30 to 8:30. For someone who wanted to experience the night life, it would have been too expensive to stay past the pick up hour, and, 8:30 is just a bit too early to return from enjoying it. That item aside, this place is a fantastic getaway from it all, if you just wanted to relax and chill out. They did provide touring services connections and provided it very efficiently and professionally. But, if you just wanted to go into town to experience the city (daytime or nighttime) it was difficult or basically under that aforementioned time period. I would stay there again, for sure, but, I would have my own transportation for me and my partner. It was worth the stay as a whole.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MWC1949
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I traveled to Puerto Princesa to celebrate my 26th birthday with my family. I didnt know what to expect since it was my first time to travel there. From the time I called them up to book my trip I already felt that the staff were really nice and willing to help and answer all my questions. When we arrived there they helped us plan our DIY City Tour.

One thing I love about the place is the very nice villa. It was very relaxing and the beds are really big and comfortable. They also have a very nice place at the restaurant where you can eat breakfast and see the sunrise. Simply beautiful! :-)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rei B
Reviewed 23 May 2013

Come here for a relaxing, convenient and reasonable vacation. I enjoyed the large swimming pool, excellent food and much more. This resort is not large but is very friendly and includes a full bar, spa, and views across the bay to the main port.
This is the perfect place to escape the city crowds and fine a quiet, peaceful resort. Get a great massage while you're there.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple