“A bit of a disaster”

Ranked #154 of 183 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Daegu
“A bit of a disaster”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2011

I wanted to like this place. For starters, it does have a nice swimming pool and a decent view of the ocean (but you can't walk down to it). Now, the bad -- you're basically in the jungle about 20 minutes from Puerto Princesa. This would be OK if they had a convenience store and a nice restaurant. Unfortunately, they have neither. You can't even buy water, so be sure you stop in town at a drug store before you come out here. As for the restaurant, not only was I the only customer, I was the only person at the hotel and it still took them about an hour to make me a sandwich and fries. Even the Philippines dishes are pretty awful -- no fresh ingredients, everything frozen or from a can.

There's simply no reason to stay here -- you're more like a prisoner than a guest. One night they had a birthday party for some local friends and, guess what? I couldn't even order a meal so I went hungry (didn't feel like the long trip into town).

The staff is friendly enough, but they literally have no idea what it means to run a hotel and/or a business. I asked for wake-up calls for three different mornings (two day-trips, and my last day when I needed to catch my flight). It only worked, kind of, one time -- I was told my cave tour left at 9 am. I got a call at 8:30, but it wasn't for wake-up, it was to tell me the bus was already waiting for me. Idiocy.

They never cleaned my room. They couldn't even be bothered to give me a clean towel. Like I said, you're a hostage when you stay here, not a guest.

Stay somewhere in town where you'll have access to some stores and restaurants and night-life. Stay away from this place.

Also, while I'm not a big TV person myself, the cable here doesn't work. Bring a book or three.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank James P

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Whitby, ON, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

When we arrived by our bus to the resort , I was shocked how simple and terrible looking is this resort, is it any one build a couple of rooms call it a resort!
The rooms are very very simple, barely the bed and the AC. The washroom is very small, no , no hot water, no vanilty and no counter. The Tv is a very small CRT with one or two channels both are totally unclear, you will damage your eyes if you try to watch. The AC was not working upon arrival, they sent the repair guy yo replace it, he was done at 6 pm. The door would not lock, they sent the handy man 3 times and it is very hard to lock and it is not reliable, I literally spent hours of my time on this problem, when I am supposed to be on vacation. Also we booked 2 rooms as we have 3 kids, but they assign as two rooms far from each others.

Frankly, there is nothing good in this resort with the exception of the pool, it is acceptable, the resort is located in between shanty homes and very poor neighborhood. Terrible location and not on a beach. Transportation is difficult from this resort, no taxis, you must ride the tricycle which is a safety risk and inconvenient if you are from Europe or North America.

We had a terrible stay, I almost regret coming to this island or traveling to south asia in general, I think tourisim and hotels in general do not understand customer service in this part of the world, they would need another century to get to north american standards.

In summary, look for some other place for your stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Albert013

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Princesa hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

Hillside is out of the city and in the woods, about 20 minutes from airport. We took an motorbike taxi, but the resort has an van to pick you up. We were greeted warmly at the front desk and no problem with the reservations using hotel.com. We rented an cottage, there are three of them and 12 hotel rooms. The cottage had an buck bed and king size bed with roomy bathroom and small tv along with an front porch. The tv didnt have really good reception, but we didnt really watch anyways. Theres an restaurant onsite with an limited menu, but good enough. Food was great along with the entire staff. Room service is available. Theres an outdoor pool we used alot. The views are mountains, water and plenty of trees. Very romantic at night. I cant say enough of the cleanliness and the Staff. The resort will bring you anywhere you want. We used an tourist travel company that Hillside recommended. We went to underwater caves, island hopping and the Bakery restaurant. Must sees. All the guests were from other countries and some were on the daily trips with us and were friendly.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple