“Out of the way”

Ranked #159 of 189 Puerto Princesa B&B and Inns
Las Pinas
“Out of the way”
Reviewed 1 June 2013

This hotel is in an out of the way location. Tricycles are hard to find and they will ask you to pay more as the hotel is located farther away from town. Not really accessible from the airport or the town proper. Average rooms. There are lots of better choices.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank JEmmanuelLasPinas

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Hebrew first
Taytay, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My family stay in the resort for 3 days. The place is so nice, quiet and serene, away from the usual city life. The rooms are simple. The kids love the pool after a tiring day. The staff are polite and accommodating...I would suggest the management to just upgrade the T.V. since some of them are not working..not a single channel in our room and put pressure on water supply...if done, this place is a home away from home.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Vangie S
Angeles City, Philippines
Reviewed 4 October 2011

From the airport to the resort is about a 15 min drive, after the road started to turn unpaved I was beginning to wonder what I got myself into. Yes the place is very simple, which can be good if you are the kind of person that wants to get away from everything, but for us it was just to far away from the city. The rooms are very small and have no amendites. The bathroom is super small and didn't really look like it was cleaned very good. The mirrow is so low I had to sqwat down to see myself. One of the worst things was the entrance door, it's a sliding screen door that has a latch that will barely catch. If anybody wanted to get into your room they wouldn't have a problem doing so. Your kind of at the resort mercy hopeing nobody will enter when your gone. We locked all our valuables up in our suitcase every time we went somewhere. The curtians are so thin and really don't do a good job, anybody can walk by and see in your room so stay covered at night. I had to go outside to the balcony/walkway every night and turn the light out because it was just to bright in the room to sleep. The restuarent is a total disaster!!! We had ordered food 1 night and that made up my mind not to do it again. The meat and fish were not fresh. We ordered a combination plate for two which was surpose to be pork chop and fish filets. What we got was chopped up pieces of pork deep fried in oil without any seasoning and small 1 inch cubes of old fish. My daughter wanted the fish and chips, what she got was the same old fish pieces we had and the chips where rice crackers, not fries. The next morning we where going on the underground river trip so we wanted to order breakfast, their was no one around to order from and I had to go to the office and tell them, even though I told them the night before. The breakfast was p180 and all you got was 1 egg made into an omelet, 1 piece of bacon and 2 slices of old stale toasted bread. That was our last experience with the restuarant and will be our last experience with the resort. Their are so many much better places closer to town that you can get for the same moderate price!!! I would not recommend this place to anyone!
About the only good thing I can say about the place is the setting, it is very quite and peaceful, that is if you like to be the only person at the resort, and the pool is very nice. You do have to put up with smoke coming from the areas outside of the resort that are burning their trash. Me and my daughter went swimming every evening when we came home from our trips, but on Sunday night when we came home the pool was full of locals that can pay a fee to use the pool. It looked like they where having a pool party and they where very loud and jumping into the pool, so we decided to wait until they left.
All in all we had a very good time in Puerto Princesa and I loved the city very much and will go back again, but never again to the Hillside Resort!!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
12 Thank polarpete

Travellers are raving about these Puerto Princesa hotels

Daegu
Reviewed 14 September 2011

I wanted to like this place. For starters, it does have a nice swimming pool and a decent view of the ocean (but you can't walk down to it). Now, the bad -- you're basically in the jungle about 20 minutes from Puerto Princesa. This would be OK if they had a convenience store and a nice restaurant. Unfortunately, they have neither. You can't even buy water, so be sure you stop in town at a drug store before you come out here. As for the restaurant, not only was I the only customer, I was the only person at the hotel and it still took them about an hour to make me a sandwich and fries. Even the Philippines dishes are pretty awful -- no fresh ingredients, everything frozen or from a can.

There's simply no reason to stay here -- you're more like a prisoner than a guest. One night they had a birthday party for some local friends and, guess what? I couldn't even order a meal so I went hungry (didn't feel like the long trip into town).

The staff is friendly enough, but they literally have no idea what it means to run a hotel and/or a business. I asked for wake-up calls for three different mornings (two day-trips, and my last day when I needed to catch my flight). It only worked, kind of, one time -- I was told my cave tour left at 9 am. I got a call at 8:30, but it wasn't for wake-up, it was to tell me the bus was already waiting for me. Idiocy.

They never cleaned my room. They couldn't even be bothered to give me a clean towel. Like I said, you're a hostage when you stay here, not a guest.

Stay somewhere in town where you'll have access to some stores and restaurants and night-life. Stay away from this place.

Also, while I'm not a big TV person myself, the cable here doesn't work. Bring a book or three.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank James P
Whitby, ON, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2011

When we arrived by our bus to the resort , I was shocked how simple and terrible looking is this resort, is it any one build a couple of rooms call it a resort!
The rooms are very very simple, barely the bed and the AC. The washroom is very small, no , no hot water, no vanilty and no counter. The Tv is a very small CRT with one or two channels both are totally unclear, you will damage your eyes if you try to watch. The AC was not working upon arrival, they sent the repair guy yo replace it, he was done at 6 pm. The door would not lock, they sent the handy man 3 times and it is very hard to lock and it is not reliable, I literally spent hours of my time on this problem, when I am supposed to be on vacation. Also we booked 2 rooms as we have 3 kids, but they assign as two rooms far from each others.

Frankly, there is nothing good in this resort with the exception of the pool, it is acceptable, the resort is located in between shanty homes and very poor neighborhood. Terrible location and not on a beach. Transportation is difficult from this resort, no taxis, you must ride the tricycle which is a safety risk and inconvenient if you are from Europe or North America.

We had a terrible stay, I almost regret coming to this island or traveling to south asia in general, I think tourisim and hotels in general do not understand customer service in this part of the world, they would need another century to get to north american standards.

In summary, look for some other place for your stay.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Albert013
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Hillside is out of the city and in the woods, about 20 minutes from airport. We took an motorbike taxi, but the resort has an van to pick you up. We were greeted warmly at the front desk and no problem with the reservations using hotel.com. We rented an cottage, there are three of them and 12 hotel rooms. The cottage had an buck bed and king size bed with roomy bathroom and small tv along with an front porch. The tv didnt have really good reception, but we didnt really watch anyways. Theres an restaurant onsite with an limited menu, but good enough. Food was great along with the entire staff. Room service is available. Theres an outdoor pool we used alot. The views are mountains, water and plenty of trees. Very romantic at night. I cant say enough of the cleanliness and the Staff. The resort will bring you anywhere you want. We used an tourist travel company that Hillside recommended. We went to underwater caves, island hopping and the Bakery restaurant. Must sees. All the guests were from other countries and some were on the daily trips with us and were friendly.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple