Dos Palmas Island Resort & Spa
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Astoria Palawan(Puerto Princesa)
  • Breakfast included
Ai World Park and Resorts(Puerto Princesa)
View Hotel
Panja Resort Palawan(Puerto Princesa)
  • Breakfast included
Atremaru Resort(Puerto Princesa)
  • Pool
Blue Palawan(Puerto Princesa)
View Hotel
Royal Oberoi Resort Hotel(Puerto Princesa)
View Hotel
All reviewsprivate islandboat rideputing buhanginscuba divingfree islandbay cottagessnorkeling siteday tourhonda bayquick orientationtable tennismarine lifeexecutive villaon stiltsisland hoppingbasketball courtbuffet lunch
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 May 2014

The entire experience was very great, the only regret I had was we only stayed for a night and because of all the beauty it has wee need a lot of time to spend in just an activity. We were not able to tour the entire island. Though the resort already shows signs of age, everyone is very accommodating, friendly, and really very helpful. They even arranged a private boat for us because we are late in the scheduled boat transfer due to overstaying in putting buhangin island. Though I must suggest they have to improve on the food. We tend to order the same food after not liking others in the menu.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cheafrancisco
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Dos Palmas is a little like the house your grandmother has lived in all her life. At one point it was chic, modern and spotless, but now you just wish she'd get the renovators in to bring it back to its glory days. That's not to suggest that Dos Palmas is poor - it isn't; it's just that it has so much potential to be better than it is.

Arrival from Puerto Princesa was flawless. In fact with the help of the wharf staff we were able to catch an earlier boat to the island which they called back to the wharf just as it was pulling away - which I thought was a nice touch. This was our forth venue in a fortnight's holiday in Palawan, and was a place we were all looking forward to. It's about a 50 minute journey, and you pass a number if Island before,you pull up. There's a warm welcome from the staff before you are arranged in the restaurant and given a briefing. It's a rather fulsome briefing which when you've been travelling all day, as we had been, you wish could be delivered after you've checked in and had a shower. The room was nice. The apartments are in blocks of four - two up and two down. We had a large bedroom with a king bed and a double bed, a day couch and a small desk. Outside was a balcony with table and chairs and a nice wooden drying rack. The bathroom had a shower, sink and toilet. There was a very efficient air-conditioner in the bedroom. The only thing I felt was lacking was ceiling fans - this might have enabled the switching off of the air-con and night and a switch over to fans as the air conditioning unit was quite noisy.

Facilities wise, there's lots to do. Friends snorkelled, played soccer and volleyball and swam in the pools. There was table tennis, pool and fusball. I spent a lot of time in a cabana just looking out to the ocean and chilling. There is a good wi-fi signal if you need it.

The staff are very attentive, even if the paper and pen ordering system is a little cumbersome. Meals and drinks were able to be ordered promptly, and my bill was totally accurate at the end. On the first night we were there there was dancing by some of the staff that was very funny. Everywhere you go, you get a friendly smile of acknowledgement and a cheery 'good morning' or 'good afternoon'. I took advantage of the spa and had a body scrub and facial which I thoroughly enjoyed. The food is nice - but there were many times when dishes - especially anything requiring shrimp - were simply not available. And be careful with the cocktails. The barman's interpretation of your favourite might not match yours! The B52 resembled raspberry milk rather than the layered cocktail it actually is.

But it's not all picture perfect. The facilities are beginning to show their age. Windows and doors don't fit snug; paving is cracked and broken; the shower fittings are rusty, the spa had an open concrete drain rather than tiles; the stain on wooden balustrades is fading; both fusball tables have broken players. It's details like this that show that investment in Dos Palmas is limited. Other details were more annoying - it wasn't possible for the girls in the group to have a manicure or pedicure at the spa, as the one lady who does them wasn't on the island that week. If you market yourself as a resort AND spa, one would expect that some of the simplest spa treatments would be available. And call me a stickler, but I do like my bathroom sink and toilet to be cleaned each day!!

Dos Palmas was a nice place to stay. I thoroughly enjoyed my three days there. But I can't help thinking, given its amazing location, it could be more. It's hard, though, to estimate the impact the 2001 attack may have had on it's enduring appeal. Certainly you are reminded of it when you first enter the resort and pass the Philippines Navy gun boat just offshore. May be there is some lingering impact on its domestic market - it was certainly not full while we were there. That said, I felt safe and really liked the staff there. It's not a bargain by Philippine standards, but it is by western standards. Hopefully, just like grandma should, they'll call in the renovators and restore Dos Palmas to it's full glory and potential. Then I'd be back again in a shot.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank TimfromCanberra
Reviewed 27 April 2014

we went to Dos Palmas last month, its really a nice place if you want to relax and forget about the stress of life, the food is expensive but the nice thing about it we love the free breakfast, my son was so picky, but he really like the western food and the pasta with white sauce for lunch or dinner..me and my mom had a spa, oh boy it was so nice, 90 minutes for me and the lady who did it was really good. We did not do the snorkeling and the diving but we love the swimming in the beach and swimming pools. Will go back again if you ask me...And the staff are awesome and very helpful too

Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Cathy P
Reviewed 16 April 2014

We had the greatest time of our lives during our stay at Dos Palmas. I went there with my husband and two sons and stayed in a beach villa. The villa was spacious but it doesn't have television. At first I thought it would spoil our vacation since my eldest son always wants a TV inside the room but I was wrong! There were so many things to do in the island that we didn't even miss TV or Internet. This was really a bonding moment for us and our sons. We played billiards and ping pong outside, and cards and word factory inside. We had unlimited time to snorkel, kayak and island hopping because it was part of the perks of staying there. The food was good especially on buffets but very limited if there was no buffet. It was good that there were many guests when we stayed so we often have lunch and dinner buffets. The people working there were also unbelievable because they were very friendly and accommodating. I didn't regret having to stay there for 5 days. It was the greatest time of our lives!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank HanLaurell
Reviewed 30 March 2014

Dos Palmas was a nice getaway. I think I was expecting more after reading the resort description when we were choosing a place to go in Puerto Princessa. I also thought we were getting a great deal on agoda.com for a highly rated resort. Unfortunately I believe we paid more for what we got, especially for the Philippines. It's an hour boat ride from the mainland so if you needed to get back there was no fast way of doing it. The staff was very kind and accommodating. But the resort as a whole was in great need of an update. The rooms were decent but worn. The grounds looked like they needed more maintenance. The beach was very small but was enough for us to do the job of sunbathing and enjoying sunsets. The restaurant was ok. Fresh fruits were delicious but most of the main food could've been better. The main pool was beautiful and was great to lounge in all day. The spa was terrific. It was as if they put all their money into the spa. The facility and the grounds were beautiful and secluded. I had a mani/pedi outdoors overlooking the lap pool and bay. I also had a helot massage that was amazing. They have bikes to use to travel the island...not that the island is so big but we had quite a trek to our room from the restaurant and pool. It was cool to be able to ride around. We used the kayaks to take out for a nice afternoon cruise along the mangroves. We did the island hopping which actually consists of going to their 1 island. It was beautiful. The sandbar was awesome to go out and wade in the water. And the starfish were amazing. Overall...I would go back if it was much cheaper since it definitely didn't match it's value. The scenery of the bay and mountains is beautiful. The resort did its job of being a nice relaxing quick getaway to a beach.

Room Tip: We would've liked to have been in one of the bungalows located on the water but they said they were unavailable due to renovation. Boo.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple