“Rooms need repair”

Ranked #19 of 31 Hotels in Bohol Island
Nashville, Tennessee
“Rooms need repair”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Beautiful grounds, friendly staff, good food.
We stayed in the Deluxe rooms overlooking the bay for 3 weeks and had to change rooms twice. I woke up at 3 am and noticed the bed was wet. The rain was coming through the ceiling, so I got up and turned on the light and there was a stream of water pouring out of the bathroom light also.

The rooms are in need of repair. The paint is peeling off, the tiles are cracked, the TV reception was poor, you have to pay 100 peso's an hour for internet in the room, and the rooms were not clean.
They do have free WIFI at the front desk and the mosquito's are included at no charge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank TE357

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Czech first
Mandaluyong, Rizal, Philippines
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Every morning I am excited to wake up just to see the sunrise from the shore view. I could say it was a breath taking scenery. The hotel itself is very clean and great service. They offer free shuttle service from and to the airport. You would love also the restaurant inside the hotel on which you could watch the sunset view plus the food is not expensive.

Room Tip: Superior Bayview room offers great scenery
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Manila
Reviewed 14 August 2013

You wouldn't guess how big the resort it from its entrance. There is a huge building after you enter where events are held. The rooms actually are farther away and will require a little walking from their small parking space. The pool, too, is far from most of the cottages/ room.
It took them hours before they were able to admit me in. Stayed only for one night and was a business trip so I wasn't able to see much nor use the resort's facilities but the layout of the whole place is confusing and the the numbers are not well lighted you might have a hard time finding the right one at night. Also, because my room was located in the lower part of the complex, i had to walk on a steep downward slope and because of an unexpected drop, I had slipped. And it wasn't even raining yet so imagine how it would be if someone who had just taken a dip in the pool would fare. Plus it looked a little creepy, because although there were lights, felt like being in a mausoleum.
Breakfast was free and not even worth mentioning. Plus the service was bad that I had to wait for more than half an hour for cold friend rice, cold scrambled egg and cold fried fish.
Wifi isn't available for free at the recention and if you want it in your room you have to purchase a card from the front desk. But once you logout, although you might not have consumed the whole amount in your card, you cannot log in anymore.
On the plus side, it is near the airport. And I got back the jacket I had left. Of course they didn't inform me this and only realized later so I had to return asap.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ManilaEntM
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 1 August 2013

Got a free voucher to stay in this hotel so we were not expecting much but seeing the good reviews in Trip Advisor, we were hopeful that our stay will not be that bad.

The good points:
1. The place was quite big. There were 2 big pools and 1 kiddie pool.We were not able to swim since the pools were under maintenance when we were there.
2. A good area for dining at night. There's a live band that can play your favorite songs in the dining area. Food is cheap as well.
3. We were out the whole day for a day tour before we checked in the hotel so when we arrived at our room, we were expecting that we could just rest and sleep. The hotel was kind enough to bring food in our room for dinner and breakfast the next day.
4. The hotel is located near the restaurants and the airport.

The improvement areas:
1. Since we were given food stubs for our free breakfast, the waiters are expected to get them from us upon delivery of the food. However, there was one instance that the waiter insisted on waiting for the stub even if it was clear that the person who kept the stubs was still asleep. He insisted that he would not go unless we give him the food stub even if we requested to just wait for it until the person wakes up. We did not see the logic here since the breakfast was free anyway and we could have given him the stub at a later time. We found this very rude as the waiter didn't really leave our door until we woke up the person. How inconsiderate!
2. It was also noted that the servings for the food for the free breakfast were different as compared to the paid one. It's good that we are small eaters and we don't really need more than 1 egg for breakfast but it is just misleading that they market that breakfast is for free with the accomodation and yet does not serve the same type of food when ordered by someone who can pay for it.
3. Our cottage was conveniently located near the front desk and room service area so we were attended by our needs on time. However, we've noticed that the room needs maintenance as some of the furniture were quite old. Our toilet was clogged upon our arrival and we had to call room service for it.

Overall our stay here is OK because again, we stayed here for free. Nothing spectacular except for the cheap food in the restaurant. But if you're paying, I would recommend to look for other hotels when you go to Bohol.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Glendale, California
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I am working and now residing in the United States but my roots are from Bohol. So when my fiance and I finally decided to tie the knot, we decided to do it in Bohol. At first it was really challenging because we are living in the US but we've always wanted a Filipino wedding because nothing can beat the Filipino hospitality. We contacted several resorts but it was really this hotel which offered us the BEST service and assistance. They never hesitated to assist us in all our inquiries. They assisted us from our room and venue bookings up to helping us with the flower arrangement for our wedding. They gave us so many options and it really made us feel so special even if we are miles away. It made us feel that this wedding will not only be special but also memorable. So we arrived at the hotel so happy three days before our wedding. The front desk were all smiles. The staff and crew were accommodating and we were upgraded to a newly renovated room. I love that their hotel is very peaceful. The rooms are big and newly renovated. Their dagohoy convention hall is impressive. Its huge and very well designed. The place is magical! The parking areas are wide and you can park right outside your room. very convenient! On our wedding day we only booked 300 guests but luckily because my mama and papa were so friendly and excited on the wedding of their first born son, they ended up inviting all our relatives and neighbors! There were 350 people! I was a little worried about the last minute changes but the hotel assured me that all my guest will be fed. Really this is what I call Boholano hospitality. They go beyond just to make us feel special and happy and indeed we will never forget this gesture. I highly recommend this hotel to all my friends and to all the reader not just for wedding but also if you have reunions or convention. Surely you will never be disappointed. These people will do it all for their guests. Thank you again Bohol Tropics! I will always come back!

Room Tip: Get the poolside room and also try their bohol tropics suite or the presidential suite. Its new and...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sam Ethan G
Calamba, Philippines
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Its old but still good accommodation. Its close to tagbilaran airport and port... close to market and malls...for me its nice! I love the food... and i love the sea view... plus the room types are cottage type... i love its architectural design just a little bit renovation i guess

• Stayed July 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 12 July 2013

This hotel is extremely run down, very old looking with rubbish facilities and generally unloved.

It is also pretty unclean.

That is usual and slightly expected in Asia. What sets Bohol Tropics apart from teh crowd of rubbish hotels in the Philippines is that the staff are a awful combination of rude, lazy and unfriendly. The hotel is massively overstaffed, there are people who supposedly work there where ever you look, however thy are incapable and disinterested in getting anything done or making their guests feel like guests.

Everything is so rubbish that it is stressful, from checking in, getting anything done right to a completely incompetent check out system.

Particular down sides:
Everybody I interacted with were rude, incapable and dismissive.
Two single beds and refused to change this when asked.
Low pressure in the toilet meant that it wouldn't flush properly
Very stingy with supplies, only two towels, minimal toiletries etc
Everything is dusty and old.
The air conditioner in our room as stuck on 'north pole freezing' and couldn't be changed it also made a noise similar to somebody using a drill in the corner of our room all night.
The hotel Wifi only works in the lobby, is slow and was out of action very frequently.
Swimming pool is rubbish and there is considerable construction work happening.
No access to the sea.
Breakfast is absolutely awful (despite there being over 10 staff serving just me).
The cleaners will wake you up insistently to clan your room very early in the morning.
Fridge that freezes bottles of water and can;t be turned down.
Extra bedding that smells like it hasn't been washed in a decade (like much of the hotel).

You would have a more relaxing and enjoyable experience sleeping rough on the streets of Tagbilaran!

Bohol is a lovely island, just make sure you stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: If you want a good room, don't stay in this hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple