“Best Vacation Ever!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Albany
Grider Hill Dock Indian Creek Lodge
Lexington, Kentucky
“Best Vacation Ever!”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

My family along with my sister-in-law's family rented the 93' Tyme to Play Houseboat for a week at Grider Hill, and it was so much more than we expected. The boat had things we would have never thought to bring, but needed! Lake Cumberland is fun, peaceful, and most of all beautiful. Kids had an amazing time, and could be as rowdy as they wanted while we just relaxed! Also, when we arrived we were able to get on our boat early and the staff treated us as if we were VIP's! We are already looking forward to next summer, and every summer after that. I highly reccommend Grider Hill Marina & Resort for a vaction to anyone!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Reviewed 16 November 2012

Nice place, enjoyable tome in the country and on the water, a little too old fashioned and isolated. But based on our ladt experience here i would say just dont forget to check your mattress, if you know what i mean..

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank mrbo123
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 13 September 2012

We have stayed at Grider Hill for years for the 4th of July and Labor Day weekends. The people are always very friendly and if available they are always willing to give you a golf cart ride up or down the HUGE hill to the lake. The accomodations are very small, but who stays in thier room at Lake Cumberland anyway. The restaurant does seem to have gone down hill a bit since they moved it from the lodge to the marina. It is marginal at best - the breakfast buffet was $10.99 not including a drink and very small and greasy. The rooms are very old, but clean - the sheets a towels are very well used - hate to think about the bedspreads since they have been the same as long as we have been going there!

If yo're just looking for a place to sleep, not on the lake it is fine, but certainly not luxurious!

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms at the lodge are preferred
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank CARIBBEAN757
Indiana
Reviewed 4 September 2012

It seriously pains me to write this review. I absolutely love Grider Hill. The staff has always been extremely friendly and the lodging very adequate. We went to Lake Cumberland for the holiday weekend. A couple of years ago I went with a simple lodge room. This year I upgraded to a cottage efficiency at the last minute due to the expectation of rain. We wanted to utilize the extra space and kitchenette since it would be two adults and a 6 year old. The pricing was semi fair for the holiday, with other marinas being much more expensive.

We arrived around 3:30pm and the room was ready, so I checked in and we unloaded the car. It took me a while to find the cottage as they weren't very descriptive with where it was. I was disappointed right away. The door was like a huge piece of heavy plywood and difficult to open. The room was incredibly small (although that really wasn't a big deal since we were hoping to be on the lake the entire time we were there). It consisted of a full size bed (which my 5'11" boyfriend wasn't able to sleep comfortably in; his feet and part of his legs hung off the end), a pull out sofa which was more like a platform that slid out from under the sofa and you flip a cushion onto, an extremely tiny bathroom, and a decent sized kitchen. The room was very clean and the window ac unit worked great. It had a flat screen tv (which we found ironic since the room was so outdated).

The kitchen consisted of a small table with a leaf that folded out for more table top space, a refrigerator with a lot of space, an old stove/oven with buttons to push to start the burners, and plenty of dishes/cookware. The bathroom. WOW Grider Hill. I mean, it was a lake weekend so this is the one time I choose not to be picky and I can be okay with less than 4 star accommodations, but jeez. It was literally a shoe box. No room for more than one person, and one person was pushing it. The toilet backed up to the shower stall; the lid slid all over the place. The shower curtain was not wide enough, so water got all over the floor while taking a shower. The reason for this is the water pressure is incredibly high! I felt like I was sandblasted and lost body parts in that shower (it was so bad I opted to bathe in the lake the rest of the weekend). The water temperature was never even, so I had a lukewarm shower at best. All drawers were full of sheet sets so we had no where to place clothes; they had to stay in bags the 4 days we were there.

All in all, I'm just sorely disappointed. I've really liked this place and would enjoy coming back but next year I will be exploring other options. The prices for the holiday weekend were incredibly fair, but even those were overkill for what you receive.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank fulltimeeverything
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed 30 August 2012

Well, I certainly would have loved to give Grider Hill a great review as we had such a wonderful time on our Lake Cumberland family vacation, but alas, I cannot. We arrived at 3:00 pm to pick up our houseboat as instructed and were told it would be a while before the boat was ready. Over an hour later, which we spent in the baking parking lot, we were told our boat was ready. We started loading (no help was offered to do this) and entered the boat to find it filled with flies. To remedy this, we were given two fly swatters (we called the aftermath Flymagedon). The boat was not very clean and, in addition to the flies, we had loads of spiders along the outside eaves of the boat. We were give a few instructions on running the generator and starting the boat and were sent on our way.

We tied up in a cove close by on the first night and it was a good thing. The generator would run for 4 minutes (we timed this several times) and shut off. We also had trouble getting the boat started, but were finally able to get back to the marina. We arrived at 7 am and were told that the mechanics did not come into work until 9 am. At 9:20 am the mechanic finally arrived and told us that the water pump need to be replaced. He was a very nice young man and fixed it in pretty short order. The Assistant Manager walked by our boat two or three times, but never stopped to see what the problem was or ask if we were okay.

Lake Cumberland is a beautiful place and we had an incredible time. However, if we ever decide to make a trip back, we will not be renting from Grider Hill. We had rented from them ten years ago, and it seems to me that they have gone down hill. Everything was a bit run down and shabby.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TAM3540
Salem, Indiana
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We stayed for only a couple of nights but this place is "ok." The lodge really needs some "clean up" and fixing broken beds, screen doors etc. Our room had not been cleaned. Dirty floors, bugs in the tub and still someones beer left in the refrigerator. The room connected with ours had a push vaccum so once we cleaned the room ourselves it was ok at best.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank luv2travel1257
Crown Point, Indiana
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Never have I ever wrote a review about where I have gone but feel I need to warn the public about their Houseboats. BED BUGS! The slide was broke, we fixed it. The dryer vent unattached, we fixed. Dead bugs or mice droppings in pull out couch. And my 8yr old son covered in bed bug bites! Managers did nothing, but say they will look into matter.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
11 Thank Denise S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Albany
Lake Cumberland State Resort
Baymont Inn & Suites Albany
Best Western Lake Cumberland Inn
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#2 of 2 in Columbia
Dale Hollow Lake State Resort (Mary Ray Oaken Lodge)
Timber Pointe Resort
Timber Pointe Resort
#2 of 4 in Jamestown

Been to Grider Hill Dock Indian Creek Lodge? Share your experiences!