“SImple yet wonderful!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 150 Hotels in Boracay
San Francisco, California
“SImple yet wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2011

I had the honor of staying at Island Jewel with a travel friend of mine after switching from another booking on the other side of Boracay. I was much happier in this area where it's a little bit quiet. Although, if you want to be right in the middle of the action, you might try station 2, but this was maybe a 10-15 min walk from that area.

As soon as we arrived, they had a sign waiting for me with friendly faces. They always knew our names and could answer all our questio ns when getting around. It was clean, AirCon (AC), with TV, and nice sliding mirror glass doors. It felt comforting every time I came back at night only a few steps from the beach.

A real plus was being next to the Red Pirates Pub around the corner, which is a relaxed, and less hectic bar compared to many down the strip. Nicest owners and great place to stop before going back to the hotel. Also, near some nice restaurants like Cowboy Cocina.

I had the honor of meeting Peter the owner who was a pleasure to talk with and I hope everyone who goes gets to meet him to hear his many stories. Also Edgar and the rest of the staff were very nice, happy, and friendly!

tip - Island Jewel offers transportation directly from the airport if you want the worry taken away. (island.jewel@yahoo.com). If you are a little more adventurous and want to save some money you can also just pay when you get to the airport outside.

Room Tip: EIther email them directly or try MyBoracayGuide
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank tcullinen

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Korean first
Austin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

Island Jewel Inn is a fantastic value with clean comfortable rooms. But what really makes it excellent is the awesome service provided by Edgar, Anna Lee, and other staff members. We felt welcomed and taken care of throughout our stay. The staff provided great guidance and helped make arrangements for us. At one point they even went to bat for us in order to try and get us a better deal. It was like we were family.

If you look at the map of Boracay (its orientation is North West to South East) you will see that Island Jewel Inn is located at the far end of boat station 3 (to the extreme SE). This made it pretty inconvenient since most all activity that we indulged in during our entire stay was around station 1 (far NW of the island) and station 2 (in the middle). So it was very inconvenient to get a tricycle whenever we wanted to go anywhere – both in time and money. One tricycle was barely able to accommodate the 5 of us. Access to tricycles was not an issue – was a short walk (but inconvenient for my wife who cannot walk too much due to problems with her feet). Being around boat station 2 and D’Mall would have been a lot better. A lot of things would have been walking distance or shorter tricycle hops.

For meals you have to go out. Even for breakfast you could go to Nagisa Coffee, which is a very short walk and not bad at all. But if you want to go to the ideal place for breakfast, Real Coffee and Tea, then you would need to get a tricycle.

While there was wireless, it did not readily work with my laptop - I had to install the Firefox browser to be able to connect to the wireless network. Then for each of our systems - laptop, iPAD, iPhone, iTouch, and Palm PDA, we had to have a separate id and password. Finally, as has been the experience elsewhere, the WiFi was slow. But one can get by.

I had kept my nice leather sandals outside of the room to dry up and they got stolen. So that was an unpleasant experience. The hotel staff was distraught. Apparently, they had another security person on duty for a few weeks and it was in fact his last day before their regular security person resumed service. I cannot fault the staff. They did all they could to help find them. But it is best to keep everything inside the room.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Daldekadibba
Vancouver, BC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

After reading some good reviews on Tripadvisor, we decided to stay here. We really liked the hotel and the staff - the staff are really friendly and know you by name, welcoming you each time you come back. They were in constant communication before we arrived and gave us very clear directions on how to get there. On a side note, it's not necessary to take up the option of the airport transfer for 800 pesos, as getting there and back by yourself is very easy (there are people who will direct you where to go) and it costs around 1/3 as much, particularly if you are traveling with more than one person.

The inn is located at the very end of station 3 which is very quiet and far away from the "action" around station 2. It was much quieter than I thought - when I booked, I didn't realize how far it was from everything else (about a 30 min walk to station 1, which is on the other side of White Beach). I noticed some ants in the room, but apparently I've been told by others that it's common for beachfront properties to have some ants. The free wi-fi is good, although it kept disconnecting.

Pros

Very good value for the money
Friendly and helpful staff

Cons

A bit of a hike to where the more lively areas are along White Beach
Ants in rooms along the walls

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Komsomolsk-on-Amur, Russia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

I, my daughter and our friends stayed in Island Jewel from 18 Feb till 8 March. I really enjoyed to stay there. It`s a very very cozy hotel! I felt like at home there. The stuff is very friendly, polite, and helpful. They complied with our requests immediately. If it rained, we got umbrellas.
The rooms were cozy and clean. It’s tidied up every day.
The hotel locates at station 3. You can reach the beautiful beach in less then a minute. We counted the steps to the beach, it was found that only 200. It’s very quiet place, perfect for family’s vacation!
There is an amazing coral reef next to Island Jewel. You should go along the beach to Asia Premier Hotel and have a snorkeling there.
Really for this money it’s the best hotels on Boracay. I will never forget this vacation and I’m going to get back!!! With best regards Yuliya from Russia!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank YuliyaKovaleva
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

Hello Peter, Marina, Edgar and Analie thank you for the best accommodation that you have extended to us especially to my cousin Lalin . She had a great time there in Boracay. Now that she's back in London and back to her usual hectic schedule she can't wait any longer to get back and enjoy again. It's been her fourth time in Boracay and this was her first to experienced a worry free place to stay with. Your safety deposit vault and security guard at night is highly recommended. See you soon!

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank honradorosevie
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

We have just had our 4th holiday in Boracay and our stay at the Island Jewel Inn has surpassed our previous accomodation on the Island. The accomodation is clean to the highest standards and very comfortable. The staff are the most pleasant we have come across yet, always smiling and nothing is too much trouble, a real credit. We would have no hesitation in recommending the Island Jewel Inn to our friends and look forwards to returning.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sixtymanrans
Ebina, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2011

We stayed here because of numerous reviews from users here in trip advisor and I said why not give it a try. When we arrived in Island Jewel, we are welcome by a simple banner on their table with "Welcome Ms. Ada and friends" and it was so cute and thoughtful of them. The staff are all really nice especially Edgar and Analie. My boyfriend had a big luggage with him and our room is in 3rd floor and it's so easy to ask favor with them to carry our luggage. During our 3rd day, I was looking for a new towel and when I asked them they immediately gave me two towels. I like their towels as it is new, this is a big deal for me because I've been in hotels with ugly towels.

The place is located in Station 2 but it is near Station 3 which is the most quiet area in Boracay. The Wifi is very good too. D' Mall is 10 to 15 min walk but we didn't bother as we like exploring the place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple