The resort is gorgeous and the staff is extremely friendly! That being said, I contracted amoebas the first night at the hotel. I was extremely sick. I had the seafood paella at the restaurant by the pool. The staff could not have been nicer...they brought me congee, Gatorade, and DVDs. I missed 3.5 days of vacation because I could not leave our room. When I could leave, I was too weak to do anything but sit by the pool. The hotel's doctor and nurse were thorough, but we could NOT believe that they charged me every time they came to my room! The hotel's food made me sick, I do NOT think that we should have been charged to get me well!!! I think we should have been "given" the medical care and comped a night or two, or something else. I was even charged $10 when I ordered bananas through room service...I could not eat the "included" breakfast (or leave my room) and the doctor wanted me to eat bananas or apples when taking my medicine.
The second point is much more serious: my 12 year old daughter and husband went on a night dive and almost did not survive. Although the resort explained that the dive shop is a 3rd party vendor, the hotel is ultimately responsible for its guests.
A dive master, who was new to the resort, went on his first night dive from the shore with my husband and my daughter (her first night dive). I was in the room too sick to move. They set out from the shore where another dive master said they should look for a pipe and follow it out to the dive site. It was dark and the current made the visibility difficult, so they never found the pipe. They were swept with the current away from the island... They fought the current for 2.5 hours. The dive master repeatedly blew his horn to no avail. They were slammed against the jagged rocks repeatedly while trying to get to shore. They lost their bearings and ran out of air. All 3 believed that they would not make it back to the resort! The dive staff never sent out a rescue boat or did anything to alert anyone!!! The dive master and my husband both said they would have given up the fight if my daughter had not been with them. Harrowing... It is completely UNACCEPTABLE that rescue procedures are not in place at the resort!!! My husband and I have each logged over 200 dives and we have never seen anything like this. We will write to the dive shop's owners to let them know what happened. Diving is a fantastic sport, but it is dangerous when rules are not followed. The dive masters at the resort were unbelievably professional and were extremely concerned with safety. The dive center staff was NOT well trained... Equipment was damaged, tanks were not loaded on time, and equipment was not put together properly. This is all a lack of training.
Our friends who were with us had a lovely vacation, but ours was a nightmare. The hotel did nothing to try and make up for these experiences!!! unacceptable! I would have compared the resort to Banyan Tree (although many more guests), Alila Villas, Four Seasons, etc, but each of those resorts would have bent over backwards to try and remedy the situations. Ultimately the front desk manager gave us his card and said to let him know if/when we return to the resort. Not the type of response one would expect from a 5 star property.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Shangri-La’s Boracay Resort and Spa offers a new level of luxury to the beautiful island of Boracay. Marrying luxury and comfort with a reverence for nature, the 12-hectare resort encompasses 219 rooms including 36 villas and suites, comprehensive leisure facilities, 350 meters of secluded beach front and a thriving ecosystem of diverse, even rare, flora and fauna. With two private beachfronts and an infinity pool, the resort offers a myriad of recreational activities. Those looking to soothe weary senses can head over to CHI, The Spa at Shangri-La. A variety of dining options of different cuisines is located within the resort. May it be a family holiday or simply a quiet retreat, Shangri-La’s Boracay Resort and Spa is the perfect paradise destination. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts, Hotels.com, Agoda, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Ctrip TA, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shangri-La`s Boracay Hotel Boracay
- Shangri-La`s Boracay Resort And Spa
- Shangri Las Boracay Hotel
- Shangri Las Boracay Resort