“Disaster/Near Death Experience”

Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed 25 March 2012

The resort is gorgeous and the staff is extremely friendly! That being said, I contracted amoebas the first night at the hotel. I was extremely sick. I had the seafood paella at the restaurant by the pool. The staff could not have been nicer...they brought me congee, Gatorade, and DVDs. I missed 3.5 days of vacation because I could not leave our room. When I could leave, I was too weak to do anything but sit by the pool. The hotel's doctor and nurse were thorough, but we could NOT believe that they charged me every time they came to my room! The hotel's food made me sick, I do NOT think that we should have been charged to get me well!!! I think we should have been "given" the medical care and comped a night or two, or something else. I was even charged $10 when I ordered bananas through room service...I could not eat the "included" breakfast (or leave my room) and the doctor wanted me to eat bananas or apples when taking my medicine.

The second point is much more serious: my 12 year old daughter and husband went on a night dive and almost did not survive. Although the resort explained that the dive shop is a 3rd party vendor, the hotel is ultimately responsible for its guests.

A dive master, who was new to the resort, went on his first night dive from the shore with my husband and my daughter (her first night dive). I was in the room too sick to move. They set out from the shore where another dive master said they should look for a pipe and follow it out to the dive site. It was dark and the current made the visibility difficult, so they never found the pipe. They were swept with the current away from the island... They fought the current for 2.5 hours. The dive master repeatedly blew his horn to no avail. They were slammed against the jagged rocks repeatedly while trying to get to shore. They lost their bearings and ran out of air. All 3 believed that they would not make it back to the resort! The dive staff never sent out a rescue boat or did anything to alert anyone!!! The dive master and my husband both said they would have given up the fight if my daughter had not been with them. Harrowing... It is completely UNACCEPTABLE that rescue procedures are not in place at the resort!!! My husband and I have each logged over 200 dives and we have never seen anything like this. We will write to the dive shop's owners to let them know what happened. Diving is a fantastic sport, but it is dangerous when rules are not followed. The dive masters at the resort were unbelievably professional and were extremely concerned with safety. The dive center staff was NOT well trained... Equipment was damaged, tanks were not loaded on time, and equipment was not put together properly. This is all a lack of training.

Our friends who were with us had a lovely vacation, but ours was a nightmare. The hotel did nothing to try and make up for these experiences!!! unacceptable! I would have compared the resort to Banyan Tree (although many more guests), Alila Villas, Four Seasons, etc, but each of those resorts would have bent over backwards to try and remedy the situations. Ultimately the front desk manager gave us his card and said to let him know if/when we return to the resort. Not the type of response one would expect from a 5 star property.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
26  Thank DesignEnthusiast
Amit O, General Manager at Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

At Shangri-La we take these comments very seriously as the safety and security of our guests is of utmost importance to us. We practice a strictly controlled food safety management system and employ an in-house Hygiene Manager to monitor this constantly. We have taken note of your feedback and will continue to monitor these systems closely. We have also reviewed the safety procedures of the dive center along with the dive center manager and the hotel's Director of security. Though the systems are in place and have been effective, we have added a few measures based on your feedback. These are: There will always be a boat on standby for the divers even in the case of a beach entry dive. An additional dive instructor will be at the dive center at all times and monitor ongoing dives based on their dive plans and estimated return times. The security guards at the beach will be informed of dives taking place and will also monitor the departure time and estimated return time of divers as a back up. Even though the dive center is not  managed by us we are involved in ensuring their safety systems meet our requirements and our guest's expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,949)

Reviewed 24 March 2012

This is our first time to visit as a couple so our intention really was just to enjoy and relax. Fortunately, Shangri-la did not disappoint! From the moment we landed at the Caticlan airport, you'd instantly feel you're on vacation. Almost everything is being taken care of. We stayed in a North Deluxe room and to get there, we have to pass by the main lobby lounge that showcases a panoramic view of the ocean. Simply divine I must say!

Food was great, a bit pricey given that you could probably get some of the dishes with the same quality outside the hotel. Good thing there was a free shuttle to the D'mall. We got to eat at Sirena on a Saturday night- the food is good but it's nothing that we haven't tasted before. We also did in-room dining twice and again, the food is nothing extraordinary, just good. Just don't order the Hainanese Chicken. My husband got to try this dish in Shangri-la Singapore and loved it. He made a mistake of assuming it will be at the same par. Perhaps next time we will try the Cielo buffet.

I love the fact that the resort was able to restore most of the forest trees within the resort. Loved waking up to the sound of birds chirping outside! I also love that the beaches are private (except for the Punta Bunga that is being shared with another resort) and well-maintained.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank tur1sta
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed here for only two nights, which was too short. Everything about the hotel is perfect! The rooms are very spacious and clean. The bathrooms are beautiful!

The service in the hotel is exceptionally good and all the details are perfect. If you are looking for a romantic getaway or a family break, this hotel caters perfetly to your every need!

Stayed: March 2012
7  Thank PaulArts
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This has to be one of the best places I have ever stayed in and in fact could be paradise! From the moment you arrive to Caticlan airport the attention to detail from the staff at the Shangri-La is just endless!
The service, the accomodation, the staff, the food, everything was incredible!
If you have the opportunity to stay, grab it as you will be blown away by this fabulous location on Boracay!
I for one cannot wait for the opportunity to return!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Hyvaa
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Aigoo!!! This resort is phenomenal and worth every penny you spend. The resort is fabulous! The grounds are beautiful. The infinity pool is awesome. The Punta Bunga Beach and the Banyugan Beach is stunning! The staff are attentive to your every need. Service was excellent! All praises ***

It was our 7th year wedding anniversary, when we stayed at this resort, and the staff haven't forget the details and we were pleased.

We were pleased by the early check-in. We stayed at the South Wing Ocean View room with the view of the Punta Bunga Beach, which we love and has the closest access to the lobby and to the Punta Bunga Beach, but I'd rather choose Banyugan Beach to hang around, if given the closest access.

We were truly surprised by the bottle of red wine, as complimentary gift. But the surprises hasn't stop there yet... We had lunch at the Vintana and we were again surprised by a lovely cake personalized with a candle to blow... We have a happy hour treat at the Solana Bar, Sangria is the drink of Choice, and a couple of minutes later we have Seafood Platter for dinner.. And what a romantic place is it to spend for our night at one of the cabana of Solana, at the very top of the cliff. With the perennial sound of the waves crashing on the rocks, star gazing and listening to lovely tune of the band with one song dedicated for us. You can't help it but be carried away...

Kudos to Shangri-La Boracay! We have a special moment that we'll be truly cherish for a long time...

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mary Grace L
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed at Shangri-la Boracay once again with friends and we enjoyed every minute of it! This is our third stay at Shang in the past 10 months :)

From the time Jay, the Shang rep at the Caticlan airport, welcomed us by the baggage carousel during our arrival to the time he handed us our boarding passes for our return flight to Manila, Shangri-la's service was topnotch. They claim your baggage when you arrive and help you check in during your departure. What more can a guest ask for?

We stayed at a Premiere Family Seaview room this time in the South Wing. This room had two queen sized beds plus a sofa bed - perfect for a family of 4 with two tweeners. Had to pay a little more but the sleeping arrangements were definitely much better for us than the Deluxe Seaview.

Breakfast was still as we remembered - yummy fruit juices and yummy ensaymadas. We must have had three ensaymadas everyday during out stay - probably worth a thousand calories but we were on vacation so...

Friendel, the beach butler (if I may call him that), was friendly and efficient. Towels and ice cold bottles of mineral water were brought to you as soon as they see you claim a lounging chair. The beach by the South Wing was the place to be if you want to sit there and chill.

We felt welcome everywhere we went - gym, entertainment room, adventure zone, etc. The kids had a great time feeding the koi at Chi Spa. Our friends, who were first time guests of Shangrila Boracay, were very impressed with the level of service they received from Shang and can't wait for their next trip back.

Our rainy morning didn't go to waste since we spent it at the Chi Spa. We opted to have the 'early bird' special - 20% off selected treatments done before noon. Three hours of pampering in an exclusive villa for two at a very reasonable rate.

Felt a bit sad when we had to pack our bags...couldn't believe the three nights, four days we spent went by just like that. Just goes to show that time definitely flies when you're having fun.

I don't exactly know when but we will definitely see you again, Shangri-la Boracay!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on the higher floor south wing for peace and quiet plus great views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank a2tee
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Hard to fault The Shangri-La.

I treated my friend to a helicopter shuttle from the airport right into the grounds (not ridiculously expensive at around €160) and from that moment on we had a ball.

The rooms were superb - John used his points to upgrade and had a truly superb suite, I 'just' had a room but it was gorgeous with wonderful sea views.

The facilities are top notch - a great pool and water area, the private beach, everything you could hope for.

We availed of the speedbaot shuttle back to the airport when the weekend was all-too-soon over.

It does exactly what you expect a Shangri-La resort to do and that is treat you wonderfully well. It comes at a price but my goodness it feels good at the time!

Room Tip: They are all good - a bit like paraphrasing Animal Farm - they are all good but no doubt some are ev...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends