“Disastrous Customer Service”

Ranked #4 of 147 Hotels in Boracay
Sydney, Australia
“Disastrous Customer Service”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Shangri-La Boracay is an absolutely stunning resort with an amazing view and beautiful architectural. While me and my girlfriends were absolutely excited over this trip, it well, quickly turned into a HORROR STORY.

We were severely delayed at the check-in point due to a misunderstanding between the booking agent (AGODA.COM) and the hotel staff. The misunderstanding had us waiting at the reception for 2 HOURS, trying to resolve this issue --- which practically revolves around US PAYING MORE MONEY TO THE HOTEL THAN WHAT WE HAVE BOOKED WITH AGODA. What really pissed us off was during this whole ordeal was the customer service, it was appalling. For the whole two hours, we practically had no assistance from anyone from a managerial position, had to spend a fortune on roaming calls, and to deal with a staff who had no authority in decision making. In the end, we were RUDELY asked to either suck up all the differences in cost (which we DO NOT deserve due to someone else’s mistake) or FIND ANOTHER HOTEL. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT? The best part is they won’t give us our deposit back either! Can you imagine such treatment from this world-class establishment? Please bear in mind that me and my family had frequent Shangri-la in many different countries and this is by far the only and worst service I have ever experienced.

After spending hours speaking with both the booking agent and the practically clueless staffs at the hotel, the agency wrote us an apology email and mentioned that they will rectify this mistake on their end. They assured us that it has NOTHING to do with us and they will settle this matter with the hotel. I forwarded these emails to the hotel reservation email upon request from the front desk staffs. Sad to say..this was NOT THE END OF THE DRAMA. To my ABSOLUTE HORROR, upon checking out on the last day of our stay, a different front desk lady insisted that we PAY UP our differences. They said that they have not received any news from reservations or AGODA. With 3 emails as proof from AGODA, they still insisted that they would not let us leave until we pay up the differences incurred.

Overall, if you are considering Shangri-la as your next vacation spot, I say you are definitely better off somewhere else. This is one place everyone should definitely stay away until the management decides to finally train the staffs to have some decent customer service.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
12 Thank sueeetang
Amit O, General Manager at Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 2 September 2014
Dear Sueeetang, Thank you for sharing your valuable feedback. We sincerely apologize for your experience at our resort and for letting you down on your expectations. I would like to discuss this further with you through email. You may contact me directly at amit.oberoi@shangri-la.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (553)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed for a week holidays in this hotel. I believe it is the best of the group in the golden triangle. Luxurious with caring hospitality and perfect accommodation. I choose this hotel at the end of my two weeks traveling in Philippines. It is the best. I did really enjoy my stay.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank jfjlawai
manila
Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

The best hotel in boracay but location is far from main beach where everything is at, they have their own private beach but not useable during our stay due to strong waves. If you want privacy and a true 5 star hotel stay here huge rooms and excellent service.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank orioner00
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My family enjoyed the stay and the staff are welcoming and always accommodating to our needs. The resort was extremely welcoming and would definitely go back again.The whole experience from start to finish was very relaxing. "The right mixture of caring..."

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family

Singapore
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I would like to commend on the excellent service that the staff have provided. I did my marriage proposal at their hotel and I was delighted with the high level of service and dedication that they have provided me and my fiancee although we were not guests staying at the hotel. Special mention and credit have to be given to Rogie Venculado, the dining manager and Jacquilyn Montenegro, the restaurant reservations admin. Both of them have been very attentive to my requests. Rogie especially coordinated my private dinner and subsequent fireworks without any hitches. Jacquilyn had been very patient in answering my numerous questions with regards to the coordination leading to this special event. My personal butler for the dinner, Sean, was also very attentive throughout.Thank you so much for the enjoyable evening and experience.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We stayed in villa 14, the room was huge clean and very relaxing, the pool in the villa was also clean, the bathroom was large and clean, the only thing disappointing was the internet connection, which was really bad, even after they tried fixing it, it was ok for 5min then it was back to slow internet to no internet at all.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends

1 Thank Jeffrey168
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 14 August 2014

the beach will bring you unexpected experience for photo shooting. and the balcony give you most enjioyable night time and sea view. the people is always ready to help, this is most valued merit in hospitality service.

Room Tip: balcony give you most enjoyable sea view