“A Design Masterpiece, Impeccable Service”

Shangri-La's Boracay Resort & Spa
Ranked #4 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
Pittsford, New York
“A Design Masterpiece, Impeccable Service”
Reviewed 24 February 2010

My husband and I spent a week at Shangri-La Boracay with our two daughters, ages 10 and 7. The resort is so beautifully designed--I would love to hire the designer to do my home! The mix of stone, wood, tile and plants is a feast for the eyes.

We stayed in the South Wing on the 4th floor and our rooms were spacious, with amazing sunset views from the balcony.

We enjoyed the pool every day and Jojo attended to our every need--laying out towels for us each morning and bringing us bottled water. He even moved the umbrellas as the sun moved so that we could sit in the shade. I wish we could have brought him home with us.

We ate lunch by the pool most days. The menu had a good variety--hamburger, gazpacho soup, pizza, salads. Calamansi (lemony/lime) juice is a refreshing drink on a hot day.

I was impressed with the pool staff. There were a couple of loud boys running around the pool, being unsafe. The staff asked them several times to stop running and finally located their parents and resolved the situation before someone got hurt.

The buffet breakfast had everything we could have wanted--pancakes, waffles, eggs, bacon, pastries, muesli, yogurt, fruit, fresh juices and more.

The beach was clean and beautiful, the sand nice to walk on. Plenty of chairs available.

We ate at each of the resort's restaurants:

I didn't care for the offerings at the Italian restaurant (Rima). It seemed more fusion to me. The salmon that I ordered looked more like a Japanese dish than Italian. If you go, keep in mind it's open air and you will want to apply bug repellent in order to avoid mosquito bites. It is a beautiful location, high in the trees and the restaurant is not very big, so make a reservation. Also, not particularly kid-friendly.

My husband and I enjoyed the seafood restaurant (Sirena). (Our daughters enjoyed room service.) It is also open air (remember bug repellent). Ask for outdoor seating for views of the hillside and listen to the waves roll in. We tried the grilled seafood platter and everything was great except for the slipper lobster. They're quite small and ours were a bit mushy. On our second visit we opted for grilled prawns with black pepper sauce--yummy. Also, the chocolate dessert was delicious.

The buffet restaurant was good for dinner as well and you can also order off the menu if you're not hungry enough for the buffet.

The entire family enjoyed the Entertainment Center. Air hockey, foosball, pool table, ping pong, basketball shooting, computers with free internet. It was great and there's even a small bar if you want a coffee or soda.

Our girls are a bit too old for the Adventure Zone, but they did spend a little time going down the slides. They complained about it being hot in there. The kids have to wear long-sleeves for the slide. Maybe the air conditioning could be set a bit lower.

Chi the spa was amazing. Best spa experience ever and I live in Asia so I've been to many spas. I enjoyed the Traveler's Retreat and felt like mush after my massage. So relaxing...

One evening there was a business function on the beach and it was quite loud. It became annoying after a few hours and my husband went to the front desk to ask when it would be finished. They offered us free massages for the inconvenience.

If I could change anything, I would institute a No Smoking policy. Especially in the intimate restaurants it was impossible to avoid the smoke if even one person lit up. And I really don't enjoy smelling cigarettes while I'm sitting by the pool.

Overall it was a wonderful week. I would definitely go back.

Bring your sunscreen and your camera and enjoy!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela F

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver
Reviewed 18 February 2010

What else can you ask for? If your looking for a quick escape, this is the place to go. That's if you can afford it.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank LetzTravel527
Singapore
Reviewed 27 January 2010

My boyfriend had several free nights at a shangri-la from one of the recent promotions so we decided to explore Boracay for four days as we had never been.

The resort is huge and very beautiful. The service was very friendly and they really went out of their way to fix any problems immediately. The food in the fine dining restaurants (Italian and the Seafood restaurant) was excellent and the beach side restaurant/bars were decent though not necessarily gourmet.

I go to Spas quite often as I live in Asia and the Chi Spa (which I have tried at other Shangri-la properties) is always one of my favorites. The Boracay Chi spa was excellent. I was actually surprised to see the other guest comment that they did not like the spa. But I guess everyone has a different experience.

I would also say the other poster's experience with diving was quite different from ours. We had a very nice dive boat (it looked brand new to me) and the very professional and friendly British dive master took us out himself. What you actually see diving isn't spectacular as in some other Philippines locations but there was definitely enough to see to make a fun dive or two.

So overall I had a very good impression of the hotel but am still not quite able to give it 5 stars. This is mostly because there were two corporate events going on at the hotel when we were also staying. Both events had nightly dinners with VERY loud bands/sound systems. We were lucky not to be able to hear them in the room, but anywhere outside at the resort (drinks at the beach or cliffside bar, outdoor terraces at restaurants, etc etc) we could hear every word of the songs and speeches. Not exactly encouraging for a romantic atmosphere...especially when the bars and restaurants often had their own competing music playing.

Perhaps this hotel does not host corporate events often and my experience was not the norm, but I would have been very upset had this been my honeymoon or wedding (there was also a wedding one night at the hotel) and the romantic atmosphere was spoiled by large groups of corporate clients.

For us it was a great long weekend away, especially as we were not paying for the rooms, but anyone who considers booking should make sure they ask about the other events during their stay as it is quite expensive so it would be fair for your expectations of peace, quiet and romance to be met.

4 Thank es_singapore
Sofia, Bulgaria
Reviewed 13 January 2010

This is without a doubt the best resort in Boracay with stunning design, lovely layout with various types of accommodations. It have some glitches in the management and that is the only reason not to rate it 5 stars. Shangri-la’s millions of dollars of investment are showing- everything is made with the highest possible quality from the teak woods to the best granites.
We spent 2 weeks in the resort- one week in the South Side (at the better Punta Bunga Beach)– premier room and one week in Pool Villa. The both room and villa were outstanding – everything is brand new – amazing quality really top notch.

First of all I have to say that the south side beach – called Punta Bunga beach is much nicer than the North one called Banygan beach. Also if you stay in the main complex the South side is much nicer than the North Wing. The view is nicer, the beach is nicer. So if you have to stay in the main complex – do choose the South side. You will not be disappointed.

The Pool Villa is very convenient with 2 x 40” LCD TV. Very luxurious and private. We stayed at Kanluran villa’s, which are one of the nicest in the resort. I think that as in every resort there are some nicer villas and some not so nice. We were offered upgrade to a Tree house villa, but we did not like it that much and insisted to the originally booked pool villa. I think all the villas on the hill called Loft villas with poll are very good as well.
The butler service in the villa’s are excellent, our butler Suzette was fantastic, she was able to do everything, including flower and candle bath with Champagne, making the villa so private and nice and also she was doing housekeeping like 3-4 times a day. Brilliant! The nice touches in the villa included the Free of charge Nespresso coffee maker with excellent coffee selection, free San Pellegrino and Perrier waters, beers, fruit platters, and many more.

FOOD, RESTRAUNTS
We had some issues with the variety and quality of food; especially I think there was some difficulty of the personnel to pass your exact orders to the chefs, so we have some drawbacks - until we started to ask to speak directly with the chefs with every restaurant. And after that it changed completely!
The executive su-chef Robert Davis – an Australian guy although made it up taking things in his own hands and boy he did not disappoint we have with him absolutely stunning meals both on lunch and dinner. He is a great person doing what suppose to do at such an expensive resort. So if you have issues please contact him and he is going to make things work for you.

TRANSPORTATIN SERVICE
Transportation service around the resort is a bit of a mess and definitely need improvement. You have to call for buggy and wait quite a lot of time and since the resort is very large and on a hill, you really need it. One day in the morning was raining, and on the reception were 8 buggies staying without drivers and at that time after waiting 15 minutes unsuccessfully for buggy we had to come walking. That obviously is a sign for bad organization.
With the free shuttle buses to White Beach, there was issues that nobody knew who was in which van, and sometimes there were more people waiting for shuttle than the actually available seats. Transport back to the hotel is very easy – we have not waited for the hotel shuttle – just get tricycle from White Beach for 150 Peso ($3,5) you go everywhere

And here is our WORST experience in the resort quite unpleasant and very stressful situation in our last day actually in the Shangri-la lounge in the Caticlan airport. Due to the absolute negligence with one of the personnel in the lounge we missed our flight to Manila. We arrived in the lounge at 12.20 lunch time and we have given to one of the ladies in the reception our tickets. We stayed about 30-40 minutes in the lounge and the lady working there said – please wait while your airline representative come to pick you up. So we were waiting and waiting for the final transfer– Shangri-la did not transfer us on time and the Caticlan airport is like 500 meters away from the lounge. We were transferred with a group of 3 other guests (which were in different SEA Air flight). So when we come to the airport – Air Phillipines told us that we are 10 minutes delayed for the final check-in and WE HAVE TO MISS THE FLIGHT !!! I would like to save you the details how mad we were, since we had 4 flights to get back to our European destination and the last thing we wanted was the problem with our departure flight. What I cannot understand is how unprofessional might be such employee to cause such a mess. That person does not belong to Shangri-la and such an unprofessional action is disgrace to the level of the resort.
After big scandals we were finally put to a next flight, which we were lucky to fly directly from Caticlan and not from Kalibo (and you have to know how unpredictable Philippines air companies are) for example we had 7 hours delay time in the arrival – and we finally arrived in Kalibo instead of Caticlan on the 27th December, so I know what kind of problems might happen).
One of the previous tripadvisor contributor on December 16, 2009 with the “Stay at the Shang- Avoid SEAir!” had some similar issue with airlines. I can confirm that Air Phillipines is as bad as you can get. BEWARE with flight connections; do leave more time for unpleasant surprises

DIVING
We had very good diving. There is a lot of micro stuff around. Ghost pipe fishes, ordinary pipe fish, Frog fish, sea snakes, many types of nudibranch, anemone fishes, white tip reef sharks, sting rays, puffer and porcupine fishes, leopard morays, very nice. However the only complain is from the boat of the Dive center (Scotty’s adventure dive) which was broken many times and one time on the 31st December we had to stay in the open ocean because of the malfunction of the boat. In these type of resort with expensive diving the boat should only be top notch. Otherwise the dive master Jack is very good and the Philippine crew is fantastic – they take care of everything – equipment you do not need to touch a thing. Very nice. Message to the resort – Get better dive boat! The dive boat is not on the level of the resort!

SPA
Chi Spa is gorgeous with amazing separate pavilions, and nice spa pool.
I wish I could say the same for the service. Too expensive for way below average massages. We had really bad Filipino Hilot massage, and after the complain to the Spa manager we got complimentary Vitality massage. The vitality massage (which suppose to from the best therapist was also average especially in a country where you can get such an excellent treatments (we got some brilliant massages in the White sand beach). For good spa – Just go to Mandala Spa – which is very Green spa with many pan Asian awards. Mandala Spa is much better and cost twice less than Chi Spa. Around White beach you can get brilliant massages ranging from 400 – 600 Peso – just about 10%-15% of what you will pay in the Chi Spa

GYM AND ENTERTAINMENT CENTER
Fantastic, one of the best hotel GYM’s ever! All top facilities and 2009 Life Fitnes brand new equipments and nice Jacuzzi, steam and sauna. Entertainment and kids centers are great with so many options, games. Brilliant!

OVERALL
This is gorgeous resort, but some services should definitely improve

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
12 Thank ivo_k
Paris
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We stayed in a villa and had a great time at this hotel. The villas are superb, with huge gardens and pools. The service was almost always excellent (other than a few surly staff members at breakfast). The food - both breakfast and room service - was below par for this type of hotel, though that may just reflect the generally poor quality of food in the Philippines. The resort was clearly very quiet (the vast majority of the clientele seemed to be Russian), which may be due to the fact that Shangri-La hotels in the Philippines seem to be priced quite a bit higher than their competitors (eg the Peninsula and Mandarin in Manila).

1 Thank CTMParis
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 25 December 2009

I spend about 100 nights a year in hotels and I have the highest membership category in Hyatt, Starwoods and Shangri La.
I stayed for 1 week in a Deluxe room and felt like I was in heaven: excellent and attentive service, assets spectacular (seaview from all rooms, 2 private beaches, infitity pool area with Jacuzzi) and very new (the hotel has only opened in March 2009). The Chi Spa is amazing, with little villas for treatments. Treatments are of high quality, the therapists know what they are doing.
There are free shuttle buses to White Beach, where party venues and shopping areas are located. Transport back to the hotel is easy also independent of the hotel shuttle.
Restaurants are ok, but a little overpriced and low value for money. The hotel (excluding the F&B outlets) is good value for money: price is high, but what you get in return is hard to be matched. Service staff is wholeheartedly friendly and among the best I have experienced so far.
Occupancy still low at the moment, since the hotel has not yet found too many connaisseurs, which is a big advantage.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled solo