“Hotel below expectations” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 150 Hotels in Boracay
Singapore, Singapore
“Hotel below expectations”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2012

From the pictures, it seemed to be a beautiful hotel.Thus even though I had to pay almost SGD 400 for a one night stay, I thought it was worth the stay.
First disappointment was due to the fact that just because I was a solo traveller, I had to pay for 2 pax for the yatch boat transfer as it needed a min of 2 pax.It was not fair for a solo traveller like me travelling first time to Boracay.I tried to justify that I paid the same price for the room just like other couples or group travellers.Yet the staff insisted it was their policy.
Second disappointment was because I did not specify a room with bathtub, mine had only shower.I paid so much and demanded I get a room transfer.(Which I did).I arranged for my own transport , the least I could expect was great service.But the staff although polite, were not pro active.
Free shuttle bus were provided as it was not walking distance from D'Mall.I conclude this is better for families who wants to spend time far from the city but not for solo travellers.Its too much hassle just for a magnificient view.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank JoyahJambu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Grimsby, Ontario CANADA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2012

My wife and I chose this hotel based on the raved reviews on TA. The hotel management bills itself as a 5 star resort and that also persuaded me to jump in. Unfortunately it was a bit hyped up. For December we paid over $300US/night, and that was with a 10% sale from Expedia.
The positives are
1) The hotel is all suite, each 1000 sq feet with the large balcony. There is lots of room for the two of you.
2) The hotel is away from the noise, congestion and riffraff of White Beach. It is in a quiet, relatively unspoiled part of the island. There is a free shuttle to the beach and D Mall.
3) The views are lovely from your suite, but not all suites have excellent views. Make sure yours does.
4) The hotel has a small private area in the southern fringe of White Beach and this part is quiet and beautiful, away from the masses of tourists, shops and restaurants in Station 2. Station 2 really is tourist mayhem, not attractive at all.
5) The service is excellent. Everybody is smiling and happy.
The negatives are-
1) Some people might find this place too isolated. You need the shuttle to get to anywhere. Walking around not possible.
2) It is extremely windy with lots of wind noise on this part of the island.
3) It is NOT a 5 star resort. More like a 3 or 3 1/2 star in terms of luxury and overall finish/details. Our suite already shows signs of wear and tear. It is ordinarily furnished and finished. Comfortable but not luxurious.
4) The whole place has a time share decor and feeling, not a luxury hotel or resort. To see what a true 5 star resort is like on Boracay, you must visit the Shangri La.
5) Dec is supposed to be a busy month, but there were more staff than guests while we were here. Often the whole place seems deserted, not a beehive of activity. It is a bit of an eerie feeling.
6) It really is too expensive. But overall the better hotels in Boracay are way overpriced, at least when I booked. I didn't want to spend $550-650 at the ShangriLa or $500 for Discovery Shores, two other places I checked out. Boracay is in the Philippines, a third world country. Unfortunately the people here work hard for a pittance. They are certainly NOT the beneficiaries of high hotel prices.

Room Tip: get a room with unobstructed view of the sea
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Dr Andy S L
West Allis, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

How many times can you say "WOW"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is the third resort we have stayed at in Boracay and I must say its the absolute "Best" If first impressions are lasting impressions (as the saying goes), I was sold on the very first encounter with the staff from Monaco. Here is the second WOW!!!! We arrived at the Cataclan airport and was greeted by our transfer representative. He led us to a vehicle for transport to Monaco's private boat. Upon departing for the island resort, we were served a nice glass of wine. The check in was very swift, and very friendly. We were taken to our Villa (351). Here comes the 3RD WOW. Upon opening our door, I was in awe!!!! The Villa was beautiful and very spacious. (Let my pics show you what I mean). A wonderful view from are veranda. The pool was shaped like a dolphin. Very pretty site.
Now to the next "WOW". Our trip found us hungry so we went to their restaurant for something to eat. Since we were going to be spending 5 nights there, I decided to start at the top of the menu. Wonderful food coupled by great service. The breakfast was buffet style with many traditional dishes. I wish they served breakfast all day long. As we were eating our dinner at the pool bar, we asked the bartender if you could order something which was not on the menu. He excused himself saying her would be right back. We were then greeted by Joe Ben, the Chef. He asked us what would we like to eat. We told him sweet and sour grouper. He said i will purchase the fish tomorrow and serve it to you tomorrow night. Now this is going over and beyond the service we expected. Here's antother "WOW". I also have to mention that on the day we were to depart, we had a very early flight (7:30 AM), we asked if we could come to the restaurant for just some coffee, tea and toast as the restaurant did not open until 6 AM. Upon sitting down at our table, the waitress said that the restaurant has prepared a special breakfast for us since we had to depart early. This gesture was greatly appreciated.
Our transfer from the resort to the airport was quick, but sad as we really wanted to stay longer.
We parted ways with the staff saying. "See you in April".
Yes, we are going back, and yes I will be saying may more "WOWS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you Monaco for the pleasurable stay.

Room Tip: Our Villa required some down hill walking but so well worth the walk.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2012

I had a blast on Boracay and I must have guessed this resort is one of the culprit. ;) Staffs were friendly, food was excellent, the dolphin pool is gorgeous.
I didn't find the private beach attractive though, but I did some photos taking there for fun.
The villa that I stayed has super huge dining room and kitchen (that actually work) so my boyfriend and I did a little cook and stayed home for watching basketball.
I ordered spa for the inroom service (only 1000pesos)! and it was awesome!
I sure will go back here if I had time. =)

2 Thank mayellow
Moscow, Moscow City, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

Stayed there for 9 days in October 9-19, 2012 which is mid-season. Very well managed facility, friendly and helpful staff, decent breakfasts and hotel restaurant. The hotel beach is not great but still swimmable. Shuttle service to the central beach of Boracay is very reliable and convenient.

Room Tip: Lower villas are more quiet and private. i.e. away from public roads and view. Also the sea view fro...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Alexander K
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 November 2012

We just spent 5 magical nights at Monaco Suites. From the moment we got off the plane the hotel staff looked after our every need.
We had a quick boat trip to the island whilst sipping on champange, then a quick mini van transfer to the resort.
On arrival we were treated to a refreshing welcome cocktail then we were whisked away to our suite.
We stayed in a one bedroom suite which was massive. The view is just spectacular. The room was beautiful and clean and had eveything we desired.
There was a wonderful array of breakfast options but unfortunately the hot food was COLD (which seems to be an ongoing problem after reading other reviews I just thought other people were being too fussy). This was the only downside to our stay as it wouldn't be hard to invest in some better heating options for the hot food. We enjoyed a nice dinner at Monaco and again the service made our night!
Although the resort was absolutely stunning I feel the staff made our holiday that much more enjoyable as theyreally seemed to enjoy saying good morning etc and seem like they would go out of their way to do anything for you.
Each day we caught the shuttle to D Mall or Coco Loco and this wasn't a problem for us but did wonder if it would be easier just to stay on White Beach. The only thing would be that we would have missed the amazing customer service from all of the wonderful Monaco staff.
We noticed quite a few guests complaining about the incline up the steep hill to catch the shuttle bus and wondered why the resort don't run people back and forth in their little buggies as staff seem to be plentiful and I think this would prove to make more happy customers return to Monaco Suites. What was even more suprising was that the staff would drive past people and not think to give them a lift up the hill. This didn't bother us as we were staying near the top of the resort but I think it would have been a different story if we were staying at the bottom of the resort.
We would return to Monaco in a heart beat, not only for the amazing facilities and the stunning views but most importantly for the best customer service we have ever received any where in the world.
I do hope Monaco management realise their staff make this resort.

Room Tip: I could only imagine all of the rooms are stunning at this resort and they all seem to have a wonder...
2 Thank 15pac
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying that I travelled to Boracay alone, after I finished a work trip. I'd never travelled by myself overseas and was a little nervous, but from the moment I was picked up from the airport by Monaco Suites I knew I would be in great hands!

STAFF
The customer service at Monaco was absolutely amazing, and made this place stand out amongst the majority of places I've stayed. It wasn't just that they were friendly and polite; they were personable, kind, and went out of their way to make you comfortable. They would have conversations with you and be genuinely interested. They bent over backwards to give you the best service. Special thanks to Tess, Laila and Reyan!

ROOMS
One word - amazing. The views from the rooms are spectacular. Each room has a huge balcony, and the most breathtaking view of the ocean. I relaxed on the balcony, just taking in the view, and felt completely content.
The suites are huge, with hood quality furnishings, large TV and cable, as well as free wifi. The speeds for the wifi were good enough for me to Skype my family back home :)
The bed was a little firm for my liking, but housekeeping came to the rescue straight away with some sort of padding to make it softer. Slept like a baby.
The bathroom was awaiting maintenance but while not the best, I couldn't rate the hotel anything less than 5 based on everything else.

BREAKFAST
The view from the restaurant, like the rooms, was amazing. I found it extremely relaxing enjoying my breakfast and taking in the view!
This wasn't the best breakfast buffet I've been to, compared to others. The selection was fairly basic, while enjoyable. This is probably because it is not over-run with tourists - at times there were only 3-4 tables filled. I wondered at the time if it would be more cost effective for them, and more enjoyable for the guest, just to order from the menu. While selection was lacking, the customer service certainly was not and I thoroughly enjoyed the experience!

BEACH
Monaco Suites overlooks the beautiful Bulabog Beach, the place to be for kitesurfung. This part of the beach is quite windy. From my balcony, I'd watch the locals fish, and kites everywhere. I explored the shore and found the perfect hideaways to sit with a book and just relax. I didn't swim at this beach.
Monaco also has a private peace of paradise in White Beach. This is about a 5 min shuttle away (free of course). I swam for hours, this is what Boracay is famous for! The water is clear, sand is soft, just heavenly! I recommend you have a mango shake at Coco Loco and soak it all up. Loved it!

SPA
Monaco used Bella Isa, which is right next to Coco Loco. I enjoyed a 2 hour treatment, very relaxing and a great price! The only thing I didn't really like was that there were only curtain partitions instead of private rooms, but you can't have it all I guess!

ACTIVITIES
I booked an Island Hopping boat trip fairly last minute from the hotel. They arrange an array of activities at a good price to save you from bartering on the beach ;) I enjoyed the trip and met some great people, however we only 'hopped' to one island and the people running the boat didn't communicate very well with us. A few things you should know before going! Don't expect luxury (unless you book a catamaran I guess), wear your bathers before you leave as you need to wade waist deep in the water to get onto the boat, and consider bringing your own snorkel if you're a little funny about sharing! This was a great day, but more so due to the people and the surroundings than the operators.

OTHER HINTS
- Bring a book to the airport, as there is literally nothing to do there :)
- Wear shorts and cheap shoes as you're coming or leaving Boracay. You'll have to step through a tiny bit of shallow water and sand to board the boat.
- Travel light - do you really need more than 10kg?
- Room Service at Monaco was BRILLIANT!
- try to book in advance for activities - not too far in advance, maybe the day before?

Overall, fantastic stay, I loved every minute with the exception of leaving!

• Stayed October 2012