“not too happy”

Ranked #23 of 147 Hotels in Boracay
Manila
“not too happy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Nice enough rooms. Hateful mosquitoes we could have done without. Attractive pool area.

Considering we are club members, we never felt special enough. In other words, service is not one of the memorable things you can expect from Astoria.

What really disappointed us was the beachfront. The loading/unloading area for water sports where thousands of tourists congregated all day every day is right by the hotel's beachfront property, and you can just imagine how horrible it was for a family hanging out by the ocean! Gross. I can not use any other word for the awful picture I have in my head whenever I think about how crowded, noisy and dangerous it was (note that even with Astoria's "marked" area for swimming, the boats loading/unloading tourists were overshooting the boundaries). I hope Astoria does something about this. This 8-day experience makes me regret buying our timeshare.

Room Tip: Room 103 is probably the most peaceful on the ground floor.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank elaineeyyy

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Auburn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

We stayed here during the New Year holidays which means that the hotel was fully booked. The hotel is relatively new and very modern. I cannot say enough good things about the staff. We were always greeted with a smile and they were eager to help and please. They are probably one of the best staff I have seen in a hotel, which is a necessity in a tourism-driven area.Though the hotel was fully booked, it never felt crowded, mostly I think because guests were always out and about, relaxing in the beach, shopping, etc.Let me give a breakdown about the hotel.

Location- I think the hotel location was okay, not my favorite part though since it is nestled almost between Zone 1 and 2. But I do like its proximity near D'mall, which means lots of eating choices nearby.

Hotel condition- As it is relatively new, everything looks so clean and modern. I love the pool and that it had varying colors in the evening. I love the unique swings and also the pool chair/bed. Very cute and charming.

Hotel rooms- The rooms are on the smaller side (I am comparing this to another rival hotel nearby who are pretty much on the same quality and price range) but not too small that it feels cramped. I like that I think all rooms open to the pool, which is gorgeous by the way. The bathrooms are clean and new but we had a problem with the shower. The shower glass is only half way, which means that when you use the shower, it splashes all over the bathroom floors. This is probably only the complaint I have with the room. I love that they have 24 hrs free drying service. This is so convenient! Great touch!

Breakfast- Breakfast was good for the most part. There are different varieties and generally pretty tasty. But I can't get past the number of flies!! It's ridiculous! I know it's open air, but this is not a big problem to other hotels ( I had breakfast in several other hotels.) They really need to rectify this as this is not sanitary at all. We had dinner al fresco twice at the beach and this was not a problem at all. So I don't know why it is a problem inside their dining area. Their lounge upstairs though is very pretty. Very nice place to chill and have a drink. The only downside is they have that huge tent outside (where they have their dinner area) and it blocks the whole beach view.

It was a very pleasant stay and would most likely stay there again when I go to Boracay. Everything was top notch. Though it was a bit expensive, I feel I got my money's worth. If only they can do something about the flies...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Marikina, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

We were very lucky to have booked this hotel less than 2 months before our arrival since it's really hard to get a room at this very popular joint. I literally begged the reservations officer to give us a room for March 3 to 5 (we insisted on these dates because of our anniversary) and finally, she gave in! Look for Paula Mendoza, she's really, really, REALLY helpful.

When we arrived at the jetty port, we were greeted by this friendly guy who turned out to be the person to drive us to the hotel in their own private van.

During check-in, the receptionist was very warm and welcomed us with Puka shell necklaces. She then asked a guy to take us to our room and assist us with the luggage. We were then provided by another guy with welcome drinks.

As we stepped into the room, behold how great it looked! I was browsing their website before and adored the rooms, but when I saw them with my own eyes, I fell in love! It was modern and contemporary, and very clean. Yeah, it's an exaggeration, but I absolutely adored it (especially since we got the Turquoise-colored room which is one of my fave colors)! Not to mention, it has direct access to the pool. So our daughter was delighted by that fact.

The room was packed with all the things you might need, from the hairdryer to the microwave. They even have free Wi-fi and the connection was good. It was great that Astoria made sure we had everything we needed in our room.

The pool was great, especially at night with the lights. And the lifeguard was always there to make sure guests are safe.

The staff were really friendly and very accommodating. Buffet was great and our daughter loved their chicken macaroni soup. My favorite though was the potato and leek soup.

The lounge area in front of the beach was also guarded by staff who prevents loiterers from occupying their beach beds. That's a good thing! The bad news, though the hotel is right in front of the beach, that's exactly were the boats docked! So basically, you won't be able to swim there. You'll have to look for a spot further to Station 1 to swim where beach beds are not available for our use since they belong to the other resorts. We'll, that's the only low down as far as I can tell.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Astoria Boracay. I would say this hotel is quite pricey, but you can't beat what they have to offer. It's simply worth it. Would we come back? Definitely!

Room Tip: Get a room with direct access to the pool.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

The hotel itself was pretty new and room was of a good size with two double beds, well decorated and maintained. Facilities in the rooms were modern, clean and of a high standard.

The facilities are pretty good with a super nice pool, which was almost completely deserted during the entire time of our stay - at peak season in Chinese New Year!

The staff were very efficient at every moment during our stay, ALWAYS incredibly helpful and friendly throughout, greeting us even if we were just passing them in a communual area.

Beach area was well maintained and ok for relaxing with loungers available for guests. Again, even in peak season we had no problems getting a lounger.

The only downside to this area was being right in the middle of boat station 1, there were constantly hoardes of noisy tourists getting on and off dive boats, banana boats etc and congregating in the area. Some of our fellow beach users not being so sensitive about disturbing others peace or invading beach space. We even had groups standing around and even perching on the end of our loungers to get into the shade of our umbrellas!
However, the hotel security always monitored this and helped to manage the situation...

This is just a side effect of visiting Boracay during the peak season and staying right in the heart of the action rather than further down to the ends of the beach that are quieter and more remote. Not a fault of the hotel, just a fact of life....

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2012

Rooms were great, clean and bright, with good quality 'extras', hairdryer, shampoos etc. Staff were fantastic and went out of their way to make you happy. Even though we went at peak season, everything was accessible. For example, there were always sun loungers available on the beach and by the pool area and always fresh towels and bottled water in our rooms.
The beach was busy and very noisy at times but as the hotel is in prime location for all the shops, bars and restaurants and water sports it cannot be helped. However, we never experienced a problem within the hotel grounds with noise and always had a sound nights sleep. Our positive opinion of this hotel was concluded when we had to move to a different location for our last 2 nights. Our experiences in the other hotels on Boracay did not come close to those of the Astoria and If I was ever to return to Boracay and the Shang-ri la was not available, The Astoria would be first on the list.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank HongKongWoody1
Berlin, Germany
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2012

We have booked one Premium room. But we have become a surely worth and cheaper room. We asked to show us the official room describing . Manager said they don't have it. She also didn't allowed us to see other rooms. The room was really small. Also eat was absolutely disappointment. but the barefaced impudence the personal who had the laugh of us and made joke about our room.

Room Tip: other hotel book!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Traveller5555_5555
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2012

Boracay is among my favorite destinations. I keep coming back as often as possible. This year, we noticed a change in this ideal island paradise: it was not as clean, the sand not as white and it was becoming too commercialized. Certainly a big change if you had seen this place 10 years ago. Coming back left me and my partner feeling strangely sad, knowing how even worse off it might be 10 years down the road.

You can imagine how we felt about staying in Astoria. This was our beacon of light. Reception staffs were all very friendly and warm. We arrived early in the morning so our room was not yet ready. We were taken to their sun lounge where we took our nap after our long flight. After some time, we were picked up and taken to our room. The room itself was surprisingly spacious given the fact that the hotel is not that big. The glass doors blocked out all external noises (and believe me - Boracay can be very noisy). The floor, the bed, the bathroom were all very clean. The bathroom itself was another pleasant surprise because it was again massive! The shower with its glass panel and rain shower-head looked so appealing that I wanted to strip off and take a bath right then and there. Free Wi-Fi was also a plus and the cable TV has so many channels, it was hard to leave the room. September-October means that you can expect rainy days and we found comfort in the fact that we had a good room to escape to if the weather would not permit a sun and sand activity.

The food in Astoria was surprisingly good. The breakfast buffet served Filipino and American food and we noticed that their menus vary every day. My favorite while dining in their restaurant is their music-selection: house. It was very soothing just sitting back, relaxing and listening to the sounds of Kaskade and Anton Ramos. This hotel is definitely right up my alley!

Their pool is very beautiful especially at night due to the lighting effects. It was so nice watching the colors change and I enjoyed taking night shots of Astoria because of its modern structure and stunning lights. They serve grilled dinner with a live band every night and I think this was also a major plus because Boracay is famously known for its night-life.

Astoria offers everything one would need when visiting Boracay - excellent lodging, great food, beach-front access, a beautiful pool - in a convenient location near everything you can ever want in Boracay.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple