“Modern resort - very enjoyable stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Astoria Boracay

Astoria Boracay
Ranked #24 of 150 Hotels in Boracay
Toronto
“Modern resort - very enjoyable stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I travelled with a family of 20, and since it's a smaller resort, we all felt close enough to one another.

The pool is a stunning accent of the resort, and if possible, I would suggest requesting a room wtih a balcony that overlooks the pool.

The rooms are very modern and clean. A room with two double beds is large enough to accommodate 4 people very comfortably.

Resort staff is very helpful and polite. They all take a moment to greet you as you walk by, and any requests made (extra towels, pillows, coffee, etc.) were quickly taken care of.

The restaurant has a nice open concept. Breakfast buffet is included. They offer traditional Filipino dishes as well as the more common breakfast dishes, such as a pancake/waffle/eggs station, and lots of fresh fruit and juices.

As their website indicates, the resort is directly on the beach, but don't expect to just walk out and immediately be able to find a place to sit and relax. The watersports station is directly in front of Astoria, which is convenient if you are participating and want to observe the scuba divers preparing, banana boats, paraws, etc. There are nice lounge chairs available in front of the resort, but if you are looking for a sandy area to lay down a towel, you just need to walk left or right (also gives you a chance to walk towards the grotto). Don't let this discourage you from staying at this resort, the entire island makes up for it completely.

Astoria is located in Station 1, which is where all the shops and restaurants begin, with plenty of options to choose from. D'Mall is a 10-15 minute walk along the gorgeous white-sand beach.

Room Tip: Request a room with a balcony overlooking the pool; beautifully lit up at night as well.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pinas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

Resort is very clean and trendy. Aside from the annoying time share offers on the lobby, this place is great. We spent 3 days here and the staffs are very accomodating.I even have ways to get huge discount on the resort!

Room Tip: contact me! :)
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

I agree 100% with the previous reviewer regarding the beachfront. There are numerous dive operators, banana boat operators and speed boats plying their trade right in front of the hotel. There were anywhere up to 100 people milling around on the beach in front of the hotel and lounging on the Astoria's beach sunbeds from 9:30am. I kept saying to my wife "It's like Clapham Junction around here". This is very unfortunate as this seems to be the only part of the North end of White beach where this is happening.

Also as mentioned the speedboats do not respect the swimming area. I have a 4 year old son and there were numerous times when the speedboats would drive into the swimming area whilst we were swimming. Something needs to be done about this.

On the plus side, the rooms are nicely appointed and, although there is quite a loud live band for the evening entertainment every night, the double glazing cancels out 99% of noise so a peaceful night sleep is guaranteed. We did have an issue with the bath leaking and making the bathroom floor constantly wet but I understand the management are aware of this issue and are making upgrades on an ongoing basis.

The pool is very nice and not too busy. My son loved the slide. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was not varied enough and to be honest the only thing that appealed each morning was the egg and waffle station. Also as mentioned in previous reviews the flies are a nuisance in the restaurant. I didn't try the dinner buffet but I heard good things about it.

All in all a very nice hotel let down by the boat tour and speed boat operations next door.

1 Thank fungshuishan
Manila
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Nice enough rooms. Hateful mosquitoes we could have done without. Attractive pool area.

Considering we are club members, we never felt special enough. In other words, service is not one of the memorable things you can expect from Astoria.

What really disappointed us was the beachfront. The loading/unloading area for water sports where thousands of tourists congregated all day every day is right by the hotel's beachfront property, and you can just imagine how horrible it was for a family hanging out by the ocean! Gross. I can not use any other word for the awful picture I have in my head whenever I think about how crowded, noisy and dangerous it was (note that even with Astoria's "marked" area for swimming, the boats loading/unloading tourists were overshooting the boundaries). I hope Astoria does something about this. This 8-day experience makes me regret buying our timeshare.

Room Tip: Room 103 is probably the most peaceful on the ground floor.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank elaineeyyy
Auburn
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 February 2012

We stayed here during the New Year holidays which means that the hotel was fully booked. The hotel is relatively new and very modern. I cannot say enough good things about the staff. We were always greeted with a smile and they were eager to help and please. They are probably one of the best staff I have seen in a hotel, which is a necessity in a tourism-driven area.Though the hotel was fully booked, it never felt crowded, mostly I think because guests were always out and about, relaxing in the beach, shopping, etc.Let me give a breakdown about the hotel.

Location- I think the hotel location was okay, not my favorite part though since it is nestled almost between Zone 1 and 2. But I do like its proximity near D'mall, which means lots of eating choices nearby.

Hotel condition- As it is relatively new, everything looks so clean and modern. I love the pool and that it had varying colors in the evening. I love the unique swings and also the pool chair/bed. Very cute and charming.

Hotel rooms- The rooms are on the smaller side (I am comparing this to another rival hotel nearby who are pretty much on the same quality and price range) but not too small that it feels cramped. I like that I think all rooms open to the pool, which is gorgeous by the way. The bathrooms are clean and new but we had a problem with the shower. The shower glass is only half way, which means that when you use the shower, it splashes all over the bathroom floors. This is probably only the complaint I have with the room. I love that they have 24 hrs free drying service. This is so convenient! Great touch!

Breakfast- Breakfast was good for the most part. There are different varieties and generally pretty tasty. But I can't get past the number of flies!! It's ridiculous! I know it's open air, but this is not a big problem to other hotels ( I had breakfast in several other hotels.) They really need to rectify this as this is not sanitary at all. We had dinner al fresco twice at the beach and this was not a problem at all. So I don't know why it is a problem inside their dining area. Their lounge upstairs though is very pretty. Very nice place to chill and have a drink. The only downside is they have that huge tent outside (where they have their dinner area) and it blocks the whole beach view.

It was a very pleasant stay and would most likely stay there again when I go to Boracay. Everything was top notch. Though it was a bit expensive, I feel I got my money's worth. If only they can do something about the flies...

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Marikina, Philippines
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

We were very lucky to have booked this hotel less than 2 months before our arrival since it's really hard to get a room at this very popular joint. I literally begged the reservations officer to give us a room for March 3 to 5 (we insisted on these dates because of our anniversary) and finally, she gave in! Look for Paula Mendoza, she's really, really, REALLY helpful.

When we arrived at the jetty port, we were greeted by this friendly guy who turned out to be the person to drive us to the hotel in their own private van.

During check-in, the receptionist was very warm and welcomed us with Puka shell necklaces. She then asked a guy to take us to our room and assist us with the luggage. We were then provided by another guy with welcome drinks.

As we stepped into the room, behold how great it looked! I was browsing their website before and adored the rooms, but when I saw them with my own eyes, I fell in love! It was modern and contemporary, and very clean. Yeah, it's an exaggeration, but I absolutely adored it (especially since we got the Turquoise-colored room which is one of my fave colors)! Not to mention, it has direct access to the pool. So our daughter was delighted by that fact.

The room was packed with all the things you might need, from the hairdryer to the microwave. They even have free Wi-fi and the connection was good. It was great that Astoria made sure we had everything we needed in our room.

The pool was great, especially at night with the lights. And the lifeguard was always there to make sure guests are safe.

The staff were really friendly and very accommodating. Buffet was great and our daughter loved their chicken macaroni soup. My favorite though was the potato and leek soup.

The lounge area in front of the beach was also guarded by staff who prevents loiterers from occupying their beach beds. That's a good thing! The bad news, though the hotel is right in front of the beach, that's exactly were the boats docked! So basically, you won't be able to swim there. You'll have to look for a spot further to Station 1 to swim where beach beds are not available for our use since they belong to the other resorts. We'll, that's the only low down as far as I can tell.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Astoria Boracay. I would say this hotel is quite pricey, but you can't beat what they have to offer. It's simply worth it. Would we come back? Definitely!

Room Tip: Get a room with direct access to the pool.
  • Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2012

The hotel itself was pretty new and room was of a good size with two double beds, well decorated and maintained. Facilities in the rooms were modern, clean and of a high standard.

The facilities are pretty good with a super nice pool, which was almost completely deserted during the entire time of our stay - at peak season in Chinese New Year!

The staff were very efficient at every moment during our stay, ALWAYS incredibly helpful and friendly throughout, greeting us even if we were just passing them in a communual area.

Beach area was well maintained and ok for relaxing with loungers available for guests. Again, even in peak season we had no problems getting a lounger.

The only downside to this area was being right in the middle of boat station 1, there were constantly hoardes of noisy tourists getting on and off dive boats, banana boats etc and congregating in the area. Some of our fellow beach users not being so sensitive about disturbing others peace or invading beach space. We even had groups standing around and even perching on the end of our loungers to get into the shade of our umbrellas!
However, the hotel security always monitored this and helped to manage the situation...

This is just a side effect of visiting Boracay during the peak season and staying right in the heart of the action rather than further down to the ends of the beach that are quieter and more remote. Not a fault of the hotel, just a fact of life....

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends