“Relaxing beachfront hotel”

Ranked #17 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
London, United Kingdom
“Relaxing beachfront hotel”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

After you have endured the trip to Boracay the hotel room will soon calm your nerves. The reception is literally on the doorstep. No fancy waterfall to greet you here - they have optimised all the space and the check-in is as soon as you get off your transport. The room is clean and cool with nice pastel colours and you are sent free welcoming drinks which are in fact very delicous. There is an abudance of TV channels (I doubt you'll be watching much if youre in Boracay) and toiletries aplenty. The shower is large enough for two (or more) and there is constant hot water. There is no bathtub.
The room we had didn't have any windows facing out - you walked in through a ptio door - hence you had the curtains closed all the time and all the light was from the lamps.
There are plenty of plug socket but remember to bring a travel adapter. Although this was the newer building of the hotel, it still didn't have international plug sockets.
The hotel has a small pool in the courtyard, which is ok for a few laps, but not very big. Then again, the sea is less than 50 metres away - why would you go to the pool?
The location is good. You can walk out of the back of the hotel on to the beach and walk along the beachfront to all the other bars and restaurants. The hotel itself has a beachfront restaurant as well as a restuarant on the beach itself to have lunch and dinner. Not more than 50 metres away are the stall where you can book all your water activites or move another 50metres down and spend all your time on the beach doing nothing. The beach is magnificent - sand so fine it feels like velvet and water so warm, shallow and calm you easily spend all day in it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nazeef78

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Reviewed 3 September 2013 via mobile

As you see in my reviews that I stayed in many hotels and resorts in Boracay, but Astoria is the best, friendly staff, good service, modern furnished nicely rooms, and excellent location.
The pool is very nice with warm water.
The food is excellent with reasonable prices,
They have also drying free service, make you always ready to swim again.
Stay in Astoria to enjoy Boracay

Stayed September 2013
1 Thank AlTabshi
singapore
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Room booked: Deluxe Rm (got a room on the second floor, with 2 queen beds)
Stayed: August 2013
Rate: 3 Days & 2 Nights Astoria Treat package = 20,650 Php
Includes:
3 days/2 Nights accommodation
Buffet breakfast
(1) Dinner buffet
(1) Massage session
Transfer from Caticlan-Hotel (vice versa)

Transfer: Astoria representative was on time in meeting us from the airport. They provided a van that is clean and well kept to transfer from Caticlan airport to the jetty.
The Astoria representative assisted us all the way to the port in Caticlan. He carried our bags, bought the ferry tickets and terminal fee while we sat in the port. Good service indeed.
Upon reaching the port in Caticlan, we were given face towels before boarding the van (well kept and clean) that transported us from the terminal to the hotel

Check-in: We were greeted by a friendly receptionist, it was just around 1:45pm at that time but they have room ready and we are able to check-in a bit earlier. This could also be attributed that it is the off peak season during this time which meant that possibly the hotel is not fully booked. We were also given welcome drinks upon check-in.
Points for improvement: Only 1 keycard was provided which may be a bit inconvenient when the group plans to split anyway you can request for help from the front desk to unlock the room.

Room: Room is clean but size of the room might be a bit cramped if there are 4 of you sharing and with big luggages. Since we are only 3 pax with carry-on luggage we didn't find the size of the room a problem. Bathroom has a separate shower area and bath tub. It is also very clean and the size is roomy for a bathroom. Bed is comfortable but the aircon proved to be a challenge since my bed is directly in front of it so the cold air is blown directly on me. Quick solution is to adjust the flap and point it below the aircon unit so that the cold air is not blown directly to the bed in front of it.
They do provide toilettries, towels, bathrobes, rubber slippers

Interior: Hotel has a pleasing interior which includes swing chairs in the garden area, leaf inspired sunbeds in the pool area. Pool is on the small side but it is enough when you have a stone's throw away one of the best beaches in the world.

Location: I'm quite confused actually if it's part of station 1 or 2 but that is besides the point because you can be near the action (d mall, bars in stn.2, sandbar lounge) or you can still have your peace and quiet (as you walk towards stn.1 (Fridays) you get to so the more quiet/chillax phase of Boracay) . In conclusion, one of the best location you can get in Boracay.

Drying service: Drying of swimsuit/clothes in the balcony/porch is not allowed because they provide complimentary drying service. Just call and in a few minutes someone will pick your suits/clothes for drying. A minimum of 3 hrs is required for the drying service. As long as you don't swim a few hrs before your flight you can be assured that you won't be bringing along a dripping and heavier bag on your flight back.

Breakfast/Dinner buffet: Menu changes in the 2 mornings that we took our breakfast buffet.Food is not spectacular, personally I would rate it as slightly above average with some dish considered a hit while some are a miss.

Dinner buffet food is also slightly above average but there are a lot of selection. You can take the dinner buffet on the beach side but that means you have to cross over to get your food from the buffet table. There is a live band and fire dancers in the beach side dining area. Waiters/Waitress are very attentive refilling your drinks/clearing your plate promptly.

Wi-Fi: This is an area for improvement with most hotels providing a standard service of free Wi-Fi at this age and time of being connected. Astoria only provides 1 device free Wi-Fi service and the addl price for Wi-Fi connection is quite steep if I'm not mistaken it is about 100 Php/day. With more and more hotels offering Wi-Fi as a standard part of their service, I do think that it is high time for the hotel to provide a free unlimited Wi-Fi too.

Conclusion:
Astoria did deliver up to its brand name by providing quality accommodations and service with an affordable price tag. I have read some reviews that had issue with the hotel's service which was the opposite of what my experience because I got wonderful service during my stay not sure though if it is because I went during the off peak season.
I would even say that one of the factor that differentiates them with other hotels/resort is their superb service , especially with the guy who assisted us during our transfers, he made sure that we were comfortable. He asked us to just sit in the waiting area while he took care of all the tickets and terminal fees and even acted out as a porter by carrying our bags.
That particular service rivals those 5 star hotels/resort. Indeed, two thumps up for Astoria Boracay

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank carmiemie
Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Our Family get 2 rooms in Astoria Boracay, That was our first stay in that Hotel.
Rooms are clean but not that big but its a comfortable place to stay. We enjoy the pool very much esp. at night the pool look wonderful because of the lights. Staffs are accommodating and courteous. Its just along the beach front so access to the beach is not a problem.

One thing we enjoy was the breakfast buffet. Lots of dishes to choose from and they all taste good.

We love the comfy bed, the big bathroom. A stay in Boracay with Astoria is perfect and we will definitely love to stay here on our next visit to Boracay next year!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank SleePLeSsCheruB
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at Astoria Boracay and would love give this place a review for the benefit of other travelers.

When we arrived at the hotel for check-in around 7pm, we were immediately accommodated by the staff who also assisted us to our room. We had a very tiring trip since we came from Kalibo and the welcome drink was refreshing.

After checking-in, I usually survey the room of its amenities ad if all are in order. The size was just right for us with a mini dining area which we used when we got hungry around midnight. The microwave, sink, and utensils were a plus for our take-away and leftover food. :) The king size bed was comfortable as well as the linen. Oddly, we had only 3 pillows. I didn't mind this much but couldn't they have stuck to either 2 or 4 pillows given that we were checking-in as a couple?

The bathroom was clean and had enough towels. There was no lock for the bathroom though which I will find a little uncomfortable had I traveled and shared the room with other people other than my husband. It may have been just our room with no lock since it was just for double occupancy and I have specifically indicated that my companion was my husband. But, wouldn't that be a little too awkward if traveling with friends. Haha! But, that's just my opinion. :)

Another thing about the room is we had to keep in mind to keep the curtains of the clear doors closed at all times unless you want passersby/neighboring guests to see what you're doing inside your bedroom. Even it been tinted, other guests can see inside and vise versa. But, these insulated glass panels add to the beautiful interiors of the hotel. So, we didn't mind this much. :)

All the staff were courteous enough to greet us throughout the day -- which included the lifeguard and security guard on duty. Staff were all well dressed and looked pleasant with their aqua and white uniforms.

The hotel surroundings were clean and always manned by staff/personnel which ensured that guests were greeted and assisted if necessary.

I can't really provide a review for the dining area since we had room service for breakfast instead on the last day of our stay. I found it a bit pricey compared to other less expensive restaurants within the area. But, food is worth the try. I had their champorado for breakfast which cost me around Php160.00. That's because I hadn't had champorado in a long time and I enjoyed it despite the price.

Check-out was a breeze as well, So, in general, I'd love to stay in this hotel on our next visit because of the comfort of the room, its location, and friendly staff. In my opinion, it was worth the money spent.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room located on the first floor as it tends to be a walkway especially for the ro...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MVU_09
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed 16 August 2013

I will just write something about our buffet experience in Astoria, since we didn't checked in their hotel, which i believe to be a great place to stay with by the looks of their beautiful lighted pool besides the restaurant:) Anyhow, their buffet is great, since they have a large selections of foods and beverages, and one thing that makes it perfect is the grilling experience, unlike any other buffet wherein there is already some grilled seafood's or meat prepared, in Astoria, you got to choose the raw stuff and have it grilled right before your table :)

The place is modern, cozy and elegant, which adds to the mouthwatering experience and not to forget the value for money, for around 495Php, you got to experience a large variety of their delicately prepare foods and beverages, which is rarely found in the Island.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank Bissoy
Reviewed 14 August 2013

The staff not that nice
Especially the security guard
I don't advice to stay there
It's terrible hotel in boracay
I hate it so much
I never saw like this
Really very disappointed
I stay now in other hotel like Zoe Mie it's silent and better million times from this hotel
They treat me like I'm not paying my room and like I'm staying free
Even the guard want money just to be nice

• Stayed August 2013
johnny624, Public Relations Manager at Astoria Boracay, responded to this review, 16 August 2013
dear ALENEZI2013,

thank you for your entry on trip advisor regarding your recent stay at astoria boracay this august 2013. while it is unfortunate that you hated your stay with us and found it terrible and the staff horrible, we were hoping you could be more specific with your comments in order for us to address your concerns about the resort and the services we offer. what dates were you at the resort and which room did you stay in? what in particular about our services and facilities did you feel was not up to par with your expectations? were the staff all rude to you? we also want to conduct a thorough investigation on the guard you said wanted money from you as this is not our company practice.

i also took the liberty of checking on the resort called Zoe Mie boracay, which you transferred to after astoria. it is not a resort that is accredited by the department of tourism and the photos of the resort, rooms and facilities in the website are not in the same category as with astoria boracay.

astoria boracay has taken all the steps needed to be accredited by the department of tourism as we want the travelers who stay with us to feel secure that the resort they are staying in is being endorsed by the government. needless to say, the comparison of both resorts with one another should not be considered as both are different in what they offer the traveler.

thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at astoria and we look foward to hearing back from you so we can address your concerns at the soonest possible time. you may send your reply here or direct to jtanjangco@astoriahotelsandresorts.com.

sincerely yours,