“A haven of peace in crowded Boracay”

Spider House Resort
Ranked #46 of 152 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed 9 February 2012

Only few steps away from the overcrowded White Beach, Spider House is the place to be if you're looking for some rest after party! Set in an outstanding position on the side of a cliff overlooking Diniwid Beach, it is entirely ecofriendly made but still it has all conforts you would expect from a european or american hotel, such as wifi connection, background chill-out music in common areas, well-equipped rooms with ventilator, safe, mosquitos-net and hot-shower. Most of the rooms are totally open to the fore, facing the clear water and you can even jump into there from the dining room! Last but not least, staff is very friendly and the owner himself treat you as family. He really made my holiday! Advanced booking is recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for room no. 5!!!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank lilith33

Reviewed 31 January 2012

When I first got to Boracay I thought it wasn't for me. Bit too busy, bit too developed, way too much concrete. I'd seen Spiderhouse on Trip Advisor before I left and as soon as I could I jumped on a tricycle to check out the place. By far the best decision I made all holiday.

Spiderhouse is exceptionally beautiful. I loved the walk through a cave to get to it, the attention to detail with the design, the bamboo flooring, the fact you can jump into the sea from the bar (when the tide is high!), the fantastic staff, the food, the hammock, the music, the views, the rooms and more.

As a 'walk-in' I had to move rooms a fair bit since other people had them booked. Though this gave me a chance to check out the various options available and I have to say all were great. Some had great balconies, others had large windows - or rather large open spaces as there's no glass in the place at all. Some had views of the beach, some of the sea and the last room I stayed had both. The only reason I’ve given Spiderhouse four stars for sleeping is that the beds are a little small and my head and feet brushed up against the mosquito net.

As has been said before, some people wont like Spiderhouse, there's no A/C, no TVs and the sound and light from other rooms may seep into yours. But what others may not like about the place was exactly the thing I loved. The fact you're so close to nature, the fact that you feel naturally grouped with the other people staying there (much easier to meet people as a solo traveller than on the rest of White Beach), the fact it’s natural and not concrete. And who needs a TV when you’ve got a laptop anyway?

I’m writing this review because I think Alan’s a great guy and want to help him out. But if I had my way I’d keep Spiderhouse a secret. That way I can make sure it’s not fully booked next time I’m around.

Dave, London

Room Tip: All rooms are good but the honeymoon suite (as I've taken to calling it) was particularly beauti...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank Dave C
Reviewed 23 January 2012

This place has been converted in hotel one year ago and it is already a legend in the island.
I arrived at Spider House for New Year's Eve and stayed there for 3 nights. I was coming from another place in Boat Station 3 that had made me realize that the White Beach was definetely too crowded and noisy for an indipendent traveller. Arriving here was like entering heaven! The place is located north to Boat Station One, next to Diniwid Beach, the most exclusive area in Boracay. The premises are really beyond what you can imagine, they reminded me of the Blue Lagoon house. Most of the rooms are directly overlooking the ocean and from the main room downstairs you can easily access the pristine waters for a refreshing swim. In the same area it is located the restaurant with the open hair kitchen: food, fruit shakes etc. were very good and prepared in front of us. There's a good selection for vegetarians as well.
Most importantly, the owner treated us like family. I went shopping with him and also sailing, I could have the best shiatzu massage there, and they also called for a lady to make me manicure & pedicure on the last day of the year.
There was a really good vibe @spider house, everthing was cool and relaxed, and guests were couples, solo travellers etc..anyway people that were not only looking for a place to stay, but also to meet fellow travellers and share their experiences. It is a place for you if you can catch the magic is in there, it is not if you are just looking for an aircom room with airport pickup etc..or if you want everything organized. For that, there are hundreds of places to choose in Boracay.
For New Year's Eve we had there the most exciting party ever. My only reccomendations is to book well in advance because there are only about ten rooms and you won't be the only one to stay here.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank love78
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I absolutely adored this place. Built into the side of the cliff amongst the trees it is very basic but what do you really need when you are in paradise?

This is not for those that like there 'comforts', Our room had no radio, TV, air con or any basic amenities you usually find....heck it didn't even have windows...it was completely open to the elements...and that's what made it so special.

You can jump right off the side of the lobby into the crystal blue waters....i quite enjoyed taking my cocktail with me :)

Also the staff were AMAZING. The loveliest i met in all of Boracay.

A great place to experience with you want something different and with character but don't mind roughing it just a bit.

Room Tip: You taxi (or little scooter thing) will drop you at the end of the road in town. Walk straight towar...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SydneySabby
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Spider is a tree house built into cliffs overlooking the Sulu Sea. The setting, atmosphere and community make this a pretty amazing place.

It's more a guest house than a hotel, easy to see it's where Allan raised his kids before opening up to the public. There's a deck/lobby/bar, connected to rooms by what are more paths than hallways. Access to the water is easy - climb down the wood ladder or, during high tide, jump from the deck.

I wrote my first review of Spider House last week from a hammock overlooking the water. Blissed out by the sunset and one or more San Miguels, I messed that one up. Five days later, and 7,500 miles away, Spider House has lost none of its luster.

From the jetty, we took a tricycle along the crowded and ugly street that mostly parallels White Beach. The driver turned down an alley and directed us to walk to the water, turn right and follow the trail. We did, along the beach, through a tunnel and up steps carved out of the rock. At the bottom of the steps, our host greeted us "I'm Allan. What would you like to drink?" Within minutes, our 19- and 24-year old sons joined a circle of kiteboarders, and hung with them the rest of the week. It was like that our whole stay - it's still not completely clear to me who were guests and who were staff, just a bunch of really nice and interesting people. On our last day, a guest lost his wedding ring off another part of the island. A team from Diniwid Divers (a terrific dive shop, way more personable than the jammed shops downtown), dove the site, and found the ring in the sand. That night, the whole place celebrated the win with pizza and beers.

Diniwid Beach is an alternative to the deck, a one-minute walk or three minute swim. If you want to go farther, easy to hike to Station 1 along a pretty, partially paved trail or to catch a pedicab to the Mall (Aria, Cafe del Sol, and Lemon Cafe, all owned by Allan's friends, are good restaurants).

I talked with a guy staying at Discovery on White Beach who wished he was at Spider House. Makes sense to me, but guests at that and other expensive resorts who like their 300-count Egyptian cotton sheets ("organic!") might not agree. Spider offers not a bit of marble and no a/c. The mosquito net over our bed was exotic but, more important, functional. The window of our room looking onto the water consisted of a few tree branches, one of which leaked sap onto my t-shirt. We loved it.

How many places have you stayed at where you became a Facebook friend with the owner?

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank John177
Reviewed 13 January 2012

As I was travelling alone for a week- waiting for my friends to show up after new year- I made the decision to stay on white beach so I would be amongst the crowds. As soon as I got there I realised I'd made a mistake and looked for an alternative location. White beach is beautiful however too commercial and hectic for what I wanted. I didn't travel 6k miles to hang out at starbucks!
I stumbled upon the Spider House as a friend had stayed there in 1997 and highly recommended it. At the very end of Diniwid beach, it's best described as a fantasy tree house carved into rocks, every room having the BEST view into the most crystal clear waters you can wish for. If you want air con, cable TV and sterile rooms stay on white beach. If you want honest-to-goodness paradise...this is the place for you. NO air con or TV can compete with the fresh sea breeze and the stunning, breath-taking views. Allan, the charming owner, is the true king of his castle. Affable, cheeky and a true raconteur, he is a worldly host with oodles of knowledge and will help you shape your trip according to your needs. He hosted a free dinner for guests and non-guests on new years eve and invited around 12 people to his favourite indian restaurant on white beach on new years day. The food on offer at Spider House is a little limited but delicious, and on my last night Allan simply asked me to let his lovely staff know what we wanted to eat and they hosted a delicious leaving supper for those of us who were departing. All this and more...and I WASN'T EVEN STAYING THERE! The place was (obviously!) full when I enquired however I was fortunate enough to get an equally simple but stunning room at the Monkey House next door. That is the thing about the Spider House...Allan literally invites people into his home and makes guests and non-guests feel equally welcomed and relaxed. As for the 'throwing rubbish into the sea' comment from a previous reviewer...these are food leftovers which the fish love! Allan is a true travel pioneer- the original Robinson Crusoe. I have been fortunate enough to travel all over the world and there are very very few places as magic as this, and much less incredible and inspiring people like Allan, who are so rare to meet. I met so many like-minded people here- warm, open minded, crazy and fun...like attracts like and Allan is like a castaway scientist mixing all these magical ingredients together to make a really unique setting and vibe for those who love adventure. I can't recommend this place enough :D

• Stayed: December 2011
6  Thank divalatina
Reviewed 12 January 2012

This unique resort is situated off the beaten track of Boracay's mass tourism crowds. But still remains at a walking distance from white beach, Boracay's main touristic attraction.

White beaches' sand is almost as white as the salt flats in Bolivia and the ocean's azure blue color; makes you feel like you are in a dream, from which you never want to wake up. The local sailboats taking the tourists for a ride around the island, adds that little extra touch of amazing to charming Boracay. Especially when sipping a cocktail at sunset!

Alan, Spider House's owner; told me that a few years ago, the sailboats used to be the only way to get around on the island. He's an extraordinary character. Spider House became a resort, but originally is his home. Which makes the atmosphere there, extremely friendly. The location is unbelievable. Its like an enormous three house build on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Ocean view doesn't get better then that!

The Resort is situated next to Diniwid beach, a quiet beach where you can still feel like you are lost on an island. Where after a week, everybody on the beach has become a friend. Paradise on earth, really. You can't go wrong with Spider House! To me, simply the best in Boracay.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends