“Spider House”

Spider House Resort
Ranked #47 of 152 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I have really mixed feelings about this resort. The view is really nice and cant be compared to the views at white beach. I have choosen this hotel as my choice of stay as i have read reviews of it and seen many pretty photos.

However when i reached my room. It was a rather unpleasant surprise. There were quite a few spider webs in the room (i guess hence the name spider house). And on my pillow was a dead insect carcass. I choose the room without a personal bathroom as it was cheaper. However the communal toilet was very gross, i was told by the manager, clemence, that the toilet is only for us to use as all other rooms have their own toilets, however it wasn,t the case as outsiders and the staff there uses the toilet. Long story short, i upgraded my room the next day. My new room was better however the rooms were abit dirty, the toilet had lizards and red ants crawling all over, and there were clogging issues in the toilet and alot of mosquitos and webs. There is no aircon in this resort.

The staff were friendly however they do not take heed of your needs and wants. I had to remind them a few times that i wanted new towels and to change my dustbin.

Overall, not a very good place to stay. Every night i did dread going back to my hotel to stay. =(

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank rinoa_carol

Reviewed 15 May 2012

This place is very special, one of the highlights of the philipinnes for me. I'm surprised at the complaints below as I am very fussy! The shabby chic vibe of the place trumps many other little problems.
Pros:
Fantastic views
Spacious rooms, floor creaks as you walk
Beautiful, treehouse style interior-not luxurious but mesmerising!
Gorgeous little walkways between the rocks to find the place, love the architecture
Close to diniwid beach
Cons
Food AWFUL. Have to go to diniwid-Wahine Bar on the beach is perfect...we ate there every day
Staff really noisy early in morning...which is annoying when guests are trying to sleep in open air huts! Very inconsiderate!

Room Tip: We got superior room...definitely recommend
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Exotic hotels sound exciting. However, there is a difference between exotic and disgusting. I love to stay at exotic hotels but this hotel have terrible room cleaning services which makes it disgusting for one to live in and not to mention that, there is constant black outs.

The hotel is located on an extremely quiet end of Diniwid beach. If you intend on partying, you DO NOT want to stay at this hotel because you need to get around the rocks which would be very dangerous when you are slightly drunk because you won't want to fall and knock your head against the rocks. It is recommended that you stay at Beach Station 1 or 2 instead.

The cleanliness of the room is terrible. There were real spider webs around the room. Imagine walking around the room and knocking into a spider web. I spotted a real spider when I placed down my luggage on the floor.

The bed sheets were sandy (They don't wash their bed sheets) and I had to lie on the towels instead of the bed sheets because I did not want to get bitten by the bed bugs. Whenever I requested for the staff to change the sheets, they will not do so on the first request. I have had to remind them several times before they will go up to my room to change my sheets.

The mosquito nets that they provide is useless. Every morning, I will wake up with fresh mosquito bites. Bugs kept buzzing around me in the middle of the night (I could hear the buzzing sound near my ears) and there was one night where a grass hopper that looked like a huge coachroach landed on my bed. Obviously, we freaked out.

There is no window and there was one night where it was raining heavily. The blankets were thin and I was shivering throughout the night. Constant blackouts, flying bugs and no window to shield the sun or the wind. Also, you CANNOT jump from any of the rooms despite what the other reviews say

Think twice before staying at this hotel. For the same price, you can get a better hotel at the other stations.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rayee
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Positive:
- Located on the more quiet beach of Diniwid
- VERY beautiful ocean view
- Very helpful, nice and not too professional staff
- Nice place for young adventurers not looking for comfort

Negative:
- March 2012: Noisy construction right behind the hotel
- Rooms are open on the fourth wall, not comfortable if its raining during the night, did not feel entirely secure and you can hear EVERYTHING other guests are doing
- Bathroom with water leaking from the toilet, not hot water or pressure in the shower.
- Ladders to get to the room, going through a wet and dark cave to get to the hotel
- No A/C

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mynameispaprika
Reviewed 8 March 2012

People fall in love with this casual place on the first sight, so as we.
As the owner Allan sad, it all but normal place. Here we had completely different experience than in any other place. Staff is also very friendly and helpful.
Great thing about this place is quiet location on Diniwid beach, which is about 10-15min walking distance from D Mall.
Also great kitchen staff cooked for us everything we have bought on fresh fish market, what more to ask .

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank anajiTijana
Reviewed 2 March 2012

The spider house really is like nowhere else we have ever stayed before. If you're a fluffy towels and chocolates on the pillow kind of person then it isn't for you. We had a 'standard plus' room which meant it was a 'small' room but did have it's own bathroom. When we got to the room it certainly was big enough for us. But as previously said, there was no door to the room, only a hatch in the floor as to get to the room we had to climb up a wooden ladder. Only 3 walls as the room looked out over the sea which was gave us an amazing view to wake up to.
I was a little worried as I'm not the biggest fan of insects (particularly south-east Asian insects!) but it really wasn't too bad. Some ants in the toilet was about the worst we saw, and being true to the name, there were cobwebs and little spiders hanging around the place. (you are living in a treehouse afterall)
We had no issues with noise really, the music in the bar stops around 10pm, but you do hear people in adjacent rooms.
The bar area is nice, food we had tasted good but service wasn't great (bringing food out at different times, had to wait 1hr for a pancake one morning!)
On one of the days the electricity was off between 8am and 5pm which we didn't know was going to happen, so perhaps check with the staff if they expect the electricity to be off at certain times.
In the heat of the day it's about a 20/25min walk to the main hub or you can get a tricycle for around 100pesos.
In summary, we would recommend this place for young people/backpackers who are looking for a unique experience. Wouldn't recommend for families or people who have difficulties with steps and ladders!

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Smithkins2
Reviewed 22 February 2012

This place is a bungalow style resort which has an amazing turquoise water view and the friendliest staff ever. It is a quiet, but not far, haven from the super crowded "white beach" stations 1-3.
The place also offers all the services you might need - food, beverages, laundry, sail boat, snorkeling equipment, pool table and free wi-fi.

Room Tip: Ask for the superior room no.3
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple