“Beautiful to visit; worst sleep ever”

Spider House Resort
Ranked #45 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We booked 2 nights here in May 2012. I must admit, this is not really my style of accommodation, but I thought my fiance would like it (she did). I'm a bit torn with this place. When we arrived it was beautiful (although not easy to find - hotel is poorly signed, and have to walk through a tunnel to get there which at high tide, means walking through 20cm of water - so don't wear good shoes!). Spider House is located on a secluded stretch of Diniwid beach, not far from the end of Station 1 (White Beach). The views here are beautiful, and the water is really clear. SH had a ladder which extended about 5-6 metres down to the water below and you could see the bottom 3m which was submerged. There are two bars, and a common lounge area with a pool/billiards table and couches where you can sit and relax. As a place to visit for a break from the hassling street vendors around Station 2, this was an excellent refuge. Our room was on the top level and had a balcony overlooking the water and sailing boats below - the view was fantastic, and the rooms were very sizable. With 3 beds, they could have accommodated for 6 people.

Now for the less positive part.

When you book a hotel, one of the primary reasons is to sleep. When we arrived, the temperature was around 35c and it was at least 90% humidity. Given the secluded location on Diniwid beach, there was absolutely zero wind, and thus, zero air flow. To stay it was stifling was an understatement. I got in the ocean to cool off, and when I came out, at the same time the water was drying from my skin, the perspiration kept it wet. I was extremely surprised to see that the common / lounge area didn't even have a single fan. It was unbelievable given that we were dripping like a tap. The rooms had a single oscillating fan attached to a wall, and a portable fan. I had both on me the whole night, and was still hot. I don't expect a place like this to have air conditioning (particularly as it wouldn't work properly as the rooms don't seal whatsoever - some gaps are large enough for a cat to climb through), but it would have benefited greatly from an evaporative cooler, or even some of those fans which spray a fine mist of water to cool you.

While we were there, there was lots of construction going on which started from about 6am and went late into the afternoon. I think they may have been repairing / adding a new room to SH.

As a result of the stifling heat which didn't subside at night, I was unable to get to sleep until 2am. Though there were 3 beds in the room, two of them were doubles and quite small. At about 5' 11", my feet were well over the end. Also, they were angled like day beds, so you didn't lie flat. This is great for the daytime, but not sleeping at night. There was a flat queen sized bed in the room too, but it was not in range of the fixed fan, and was too far away from the windows/balcony access in case a cooling breeze came through. Accordingly, we opted to share one of the small doubles in the hope of cooling down. Over the beds are bed nets to keep out mosquitos, but around 4am I awoke to an incredibly itchy foot which I had scratched in my sleep to the point of almost bleeding. I presume that the red ants, which were everywhere in the room, had gone through the net and bitten me in my sleep. And this was after I had applied a generous coat of Bushmans (strongest insect repellant available in Australia) to my legs and feet. I doused my feet once again and eventually managed to get back to sleep for a few hours, before I was woken by the loud boats and resuming of construction around 6am.

In light of the unrelenting heat, and dozens of bites all over my feet, I decided I wasn't going to stay another night. On packing to leave the next morning, we found a live scorpion in one of the other beds. Luckily we didn't choose that one!

The staff were very helpful, and refunded me the full amount for the second night - I didn't expect this, and would have been happy to get even half back - I just wanted to get out of there and to somewhere I could be cooler and not attacked during the night. We booked a room at the Microtel Hotel next door, which was great as we still had the benefit of the secluded Diniwid beach, but could sleep in much more comfort. The staff from SpiderHouse even helped carry our bags there and weren't offended we were switching accommodations.

So, in summary, the place looks beautiful, the staff are friendly and helpful, and I would definitely recommend visiting this place for a drink / swim / relax during the day. However, I wouldn't recommend staying here unless they can better seal the rooms and do something about the heat.

In spite of the above, my (more adventurous) fiance loved it.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Monkey1234567
There are newer reviews for Spider House Resort

Reviewed 20 May 2012

There is nothing superfluous, only what you really need. Very friendly staff, very trusting relationship.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

A group of us stayed here for a few nights and loved it. We had room 5 which was one of the best rooms. The common area is serene and you can easily relax there the whole day. I loved staying here and had no problems with bugs, noise or misquitos. Coco came and sprayed our room each night as well. The room was cleaned each day with new towels.

One thing I suggested was installing a fan in the common area because it can get so stuffy around sunset. No air circulates and we had to bring our fan down from our room to make it bearable while we chilled out for a few hours. An easy fix though.

Food was good too and the staff were friendly, fun and helpful. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: May 2012
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I have really mixed feelings about this resort. The view is really nice and cant be compared to the views at white beach. I have choosen this hotel as my choice of stay as i have read reviews of it and seen many pretty photos.

However when i reached my room. It was a rather unpleasant surprise. There were quite a few spider webs in the room (i guess hence the name spider house). And on my pillow was a dead insect carcass. I choose the room without a personal bathroom as it was cheaper. However the communal toilet was very gross, i was told by the manager, clemence, that the toilet is only for us to use as all other rooms have their own toilets, however it wasn,t the case as outsiders and the staff there uses the toilet. Long story short, i upgraded my room the next day. My new room was better however the rooms were abit dirty, the toilet had lizards and red ants crawling all over, and there were clogging issues in the toilet and alot of mosquitos and webs. There is no aircon in this resort.

The staff were friendly however they do not take heed of your needs and wants. I had to remind them a few times that i wanted new towels and to change my dustbin.

Overall, not a very good place to stay. Every night i did dread going back to my hotel to stay. =(

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank rinoa_carol
Reviewed 15 May 2012

This place is very special, one of the highlights of the philipinnes for me. I'm surprised at the complaints below as I am very fussy! The shabby chic vibe of the place trumps many other little problems.
Pros:
Fantastic views
Spacious rooms, floor creaks as you walk
Beautiful, treehouse style interior-not luxurious but mesmerising!
Gorgeous little walkways between the rocks to find the place, love the architecture
Close to diniwid beach
Cons
Food AWFUL. Have to go to diniwid-Wahine Bar on the beach is perfect...we ate there every day
Staff really noisy early in morning...which is annoying when guests are trying to sleep in open air huts! Very inconsiderate!

Room Tip: We got superior room...definitely recommend
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2012

Exotic hotels sound exciting. However, there is a difference between exotic and disgusting. I love to stay at exotic hotels but this hotel have terrible room cleaning services which makes it disgusting for one to live in and not to mention that, there is constant black outs.

The hotel is located on an extremely quiet end of Diniwid beach. If you intend on partying, you DO NOT want to stay at this hotel because you need to get around the rocks which would be very dangerous when you are slightly drunk because you won't want to fall and knock your head against the rocks. It is recommended that you stay at Beach Station 1 or 2 instead.

The cleanliness of the room is terrible. There were real spider webs around the room. Imagine walking around the room and knocking into a spider web. I spotted a real spider when I placed down my luggage on the floor.

The bed sheets were sandy (They don't wash their bed sheets) and I had to lie on the towels instead of the bed sheets because I did not want to get bitten by the bed bugs. Whenever I requested for the staff to change the sheets, they will not do so on the first request. I have had to remind them several times before they will go up to my room to change my sheets.

The mosquito nets that they provide is useless. Every morning, I will wake up with fresh mosquito bites. Bugs kept buzzing around me in the middle of the night (I could hear the buzzing sound near my ears) and there was one night where a grass hopper that looked like a huge coachroach landed on my bed. Obviously, we freaked out.

There is no window and there was one night where it was raining heavily. The blankets were thin and I was shivering throughout the night. Constant blackouts, flying bugs and no window to shield the sun or the wind. Also, you CANNOT jump from any of the rooms despite what the other reviews say

Think twice before staying at this hotel. For the same price, you can get a better hotel at the other stations.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank rayee
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Positive:
- Located on the more quiet beach of Diniwid
- VERY beautiful ocean view
- Very helpful, nice and not too professional staff
- Nice place for young adventurers not looking for comfort

Negative:
- March 2012: Noisy construction right behind the hotel
- Rooms are open on the fourth wall, not comfortable if its raining during the night, did not feel entirely secure and you can hear EVERYTHING other guests are doing
- Bathroom with water leaking from the toilet, not hot water or pressure in the shower.
- Ladders to get to the room, going through a wet and dark cave to get to the hotel
- No A/C