“Spider House Bar....needs alot of improvement”

Spider House Resort
Ranked #44 of 147 Hotels in Boracay
Austria
“Spider House Bar....needs alot of improvement”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2012

The location is without a doubt one one of wow!! Best place to sip a good cocktail...watch th sunset and enjoy the moment.Very beautiful indeed...no doubt about this one.
Needless to say, the kitchen has to be improved, they need to have a better cook. It is a shame as with this kind of place, they can attract more customer if the food is better. Ordered a Beef Wrap, was served with a teeny weenz portion ( fine if it is served like that ) but the disappointing part was that I cannot eat it as it was sooooo salty, the marinated beef was sooo salty, there is nothing in the wrap but just the beef, no veggies, no jogurt nothing.I could have done better. That cost me Pesos220.00!! The drink was alright, I ordered frozen margarita. Service took so long...I was the only one in the restaurant at that time, around 9pm. I had to leave as the mosquitos started feeding on me. I like the location , I wish they can do better. This trip was May 7 to 11, 2012.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank IcreamCone

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Kyiv, Ukraine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2012

I learned about SpiderHouse here on TripAdvisor and stayed there for two weeks in May 2012. I must admit i couldn't have been happier with the choice of the hotel. Everything i read on tripadvisor about it was true. Diniwid beach is a much better place then overcrowded and noisy White beach, and the White beach is only 10mins walk away so you won't miss the nightlife, bars and other entertainment available there. SpiderHouse is the most remote hotel on the beach, so you won't be bothered with people passing by you. I especially enjoyed awesome bar where you can jump straight to the water after you finish off your cocktail ;)

The rooms are simple and decorated in traditional Filipino style, yet they have everything one would need - but nothing fancy really. If you need anything else, just ask the staff, they are super friendly and willing to help you with anything that is on your mind. i still keep in touch with many of them, we hanged out together at the discos etc ;) Food and drinks menu is interesting, yet very short so you will want to check out nearby places too - luckily there are many to choose from. Manager is working on improving this area a lot (Clement, if you are reading this, i hope i'll come again next year to check!).

Room service is good, and you won't find a better view - this is the place where people gather to see the sunset. I also tried sailing the boat that belongs to the hotel, and it was awesome. My advise is - don't be afraid to bargain, you'll get a much better price ;) There is a very good snorkeling site right behind the hotel.

Overall, the place is very quiet and chilled out, with awesome lounge zone in the bar. Folks who tend to stay here are mostly interesting, friendly, relaxed easy-going people, at least that was my experience - i found several new friends here. Also many Europeans who stay on Barocay for an extended period of time come here for sunset drinks.

This is absolutely the best place on Boracay, i would not hesitate to choose this hotel again even after checking out most of the other attractive options on the island. I have recommended the place to all of my friends and would definitely recommend it to you if you are looking for a special Boracay experience.

Room Tip: All the rooms have a magnificent view; i've seen most of them and i must say they are all equall...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank EugeneYunak
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

We booked 2 nights here in May 2012. I must admit, this is not really my style of accommodation, but I thought my fiance would like it (she did). I'm a bit torn with this place. When we arrived it was beautiful (although not easy to find - hotel is poorly signed, and have to walk through a tunnel to get there which at high tide, means walking through 20cm of water - so don't wear good shoes!). Spider House is located on a secluded stretch of Diniwid beach, not far from the end of Station 1 (White Beach). The views here are beautiful, and the water is really clear. SH had a ladder which extended about 5-6 metres down to the water below and you could see the bottom 3m which was submerged. There are two bars, and a common lounge area with a pool/billiards table and couches where you can sit and relax. As a place to visit for a break from the hassling street vendors around Station 2, this was an excellent refuge. Our room was on the top level and had a balcony overlooking the water and sailing boats below - the view was fantastic, and the rooms were very sizable. With 3 beds, they could have accommodated for 6 people.

Now for the less positive part.

When you book a hotel, one of the primary reasons is to sleep. When we arrived, the temperature was around 35c and it was at least 90% humidity. Given the secluded location on Diniwid beach, there was absolutely zero wind, and thus, zero air flow. To stay it was stifling was an understatement. I got in the ocean to cool off, and when I came out, at the same time the water was drying from my skin, the perspiration kept it wet. I was extremely surprised to see that the common / lounge area didn't even have a single fan. It was unbelievable given that we were dripping like a tap. The rooms had a single oscillating fan attached to a wall, and a portable fan. I had both on me the whole night, and was still hot. I don't expect a place like this to have air conditioning (particularly as it wouldn't work properly as the rooms don't seal whatsoever - some gaps are large enough for a cat to climb through), but it would have benefited greatly from an evaporative cooler, or even some of those fans which spray a fine mist of water to cool you.

While we were there, there was lots of construction going on which started from about 6am and went late into the afternoon. I think they may have been repairing / adding a new room to SH.

As a result of the stifling heat which didn't subside at night, I was unable to get to sleep until 2am. Though there were 3 beds in the room, two of them were doubles and quite small. At about 5' 11", my feet were well over the end. Also, they were angled like day beds, so you didn't lie flat. This is great for the daytime, but not sleeping at night. There was a flat queen sized bed in the room too, but it was not in range of the fixed fan, and was too far away from the windows/balcony access in case a cooling breeze came through. Accordingly, we opted to share one of the small doubles in the hope of cooling down. Over the beds are bed nets to keep out mosquitos, but around 4am I awoke to an incredibly itchy foot which I had scratched in my sleep to the point of almost bleeding. I presume that the red ants, which were everywhere in the room, had gone through the net and bitten me in my sleep. And this was after I had applied a generous coat of Bushmans (strongest insect repellant available in Australia) to my legs and feet. I doused my feet once again and eventually managed to get back to sleep for a few hours, before I was woken by the loud boats and resuming of construction around 6am.

In light of the unrelenting heat, and dozens of bites all over my feet, I decided I wasn't going to stay another night. On packing to leave the next morning, we found a live scorpion in one of the other beds. Luckily we didn't choose that one!

The staff were very helpful, and refunded me the full amount for the second night - I didn't expect this, and would have been happy to get even half back - I just wanted to get out of there and to somewhere I could be cooler and not attacked during the night. We booked a room at the Microtel Hotel next door, which was great as we still had the benefit of the secluded Diniwid beach, but could sleep in much more comfort. The staff from SpiderHouse even helped carry our bags there and weren't offended we were switching accommodations.

So, in summary, the place looks beautiful, the staff are friendly and helpful, and I would definitely recommend visiting this place for a drink / swim / relax during the day. However, I wouldn't recommend staying here unless they can better seal the rooms and do something about the heat.

In spite of the above, my (more adventurous) fiance loved it.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Monkey1234567
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2012

There is nothing superfluous, only what you really need. Very friendly staff, very trusting relationship.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

A group of us stayed here for a few nights and loved it. We had room 5 which was one of the best rooms. The common area is serene and you can easily relax there the whole day. I loved staying here and had no problems with bugs, noise or misquitos. Coco came and sprayed our room each night as well. The room was cleaned each day with new towels.

One thing I suggested was installing a fan in the common area because it can get so stuffy around sunset. No air circulates and we had to bring our fan down from our room to make it bearable while we chilled out for a few hours. An easy fix though.

Food was good too and the staff were friendly, fun and helpful. Would stay here again!

• Stayed May 2012
Singapore
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2012

I have really mixed feelings about this resort. The view is really nice and cant be compared to the views at white beach. I have choosen this hotel as my choice of stay as i have read reviews of it and seen many pretty photos.

However when i reached my room. It was a rather unpleasant surprise. There were quite a few spider webs in the room (i guess hence the name spider house). And on my pillow was a dead insect carcass. I choose the room without a personal bathroom as it was cheaper. However the communal toilet was very gross, i was told by the manager, clemence, that the toilet is only for us to use as all other rooms have their own toilets, however it wasn,t the case as outsiders and the staff there uses the toilet. Long story short, i upgraded my room the next day. My new room was better however the rooms were abit dirty, the toilet had lizards and red ants crawling all over, and there were clogging issues in the toilet and alot of mosquitos and webs. There is no aircon in this resort.

The staff were friendly however they do not take heed of your needs and wants. I had to remind them a few times that i wanted new towels and to change my dustbin.

Overall, not a very good place to stay. Every night i did dread going back to my hotel to stay. =(

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank rinoa_carol
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2012

This place is very special, one of the highlights of the philipinnes for me. I'm surprised at the complaints below as I am very fussy! The shabby chic vibe of the place trumps many other little problems.
Pros:
Fantastic views
Spacious rooms, floor creaks as you walk
Beautiful, treehouse style interior-not luxurious but mesmerising!
Gorgeous little walkways between the rocks to find the place, love the architecture
Close to diniwid beach
Cons
Food AWFUL. Have to go to diniwid-Wahine Bar on the beach is perfect...we ate there every day
Staff really noisy early in morning...which is annoying when guests are trying to sleep in open air huts! Very inconsiderate!

Room Tip: We got superior room...definitely recommend
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple