“Let down by service”

Ranked #47 of 146 Hotels in Boracay
London, United Kingdom
“Let down by service”
Reviewed 26 October 2012

Spectacular views of the beach however we were let down by ongoing construction going on right underneath our room. The room itself was exactly what we wanted. Spacious, great scenic views and comfortable settings. However we were not warned construction was taking place underneath our room. From 10am to 6pm there was going to be constant drilling from the resort next door and from Spider House hammering away below.

We warned the owner Danny after the first night about this and he said he will do what he can to stop the work from his side. Unfortunately we had problems with the water not working, power failures and door knob falling off. Theses problems happened over the course of the three nights we were there and Danny's response was the same: "I didn't know this was happening."

We ended up leaving after being told we had to change rooms for the ongoing construction work down stairs. We paid full price for the room which totaled 2800 pesos a night and no compensation was offered. When it came to paying the balance, the staff incorrectly calculated the bills charged the room for food.

Room Tip: Rooms by the beach are spectacular though make sure you are told fully of any noise pollution
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Hugo C
LettuceInn, Owner at Spider House Resort, responded to this review, 29 October 2012
I am truly sorry to hear that you feel that way, as my staff and I did our best to accommodate all of your requests and wishes.....from stopping all repair work going on (which you were told about in advance when you asked for that specific room) to preparing special meals for your dietary requirements.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by work going on in the resort next door, but it is hard to control what our neighbours do. However I did get them to stop their work and I even offered you another room at the other end of our house with a further discount which you refused.

Boracay island does get power failures from time to time, but they never last long and we have decided not to get a generator as we find them to be noisy and pollute.

We did our best to deal with every issue that you had immediately and professionally.

In the end you were only charged 2,800 pesos for a room that we normally rent for 4,400 pesos and when there was a discrepancy with your food bill, we sided in your favour.

We take pride in trying to provide the best possible service to all of our guests and I do apologise if you felt let down.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 17 October 2012

It was just a miraculous stay!
You really experience paradise here. Forget hiltons, hyatts and mariotts.
This is a truly place to be. The most amazing b&b in the world with best views, good food and friendly staff. This place is a piece of wooden art) along with those spectacular sunsets and baby-blue water. Can't recommend more if you are looking for a place to relax and enjoy mother nature.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank trubo4ka
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2012

This is quite a late review, but we stayed in July 2011 for a few nights and had a wonderful time! The staff were somewhat aloof, the food wasn't the best, I was attacked by bugs on one night... but we had the time of our lives! Spider House is just paradise! It was amazing to dive into the water after finishing breakfast, to relax with a book in the lounge, head over to the resort next door for sunset cocktails, watch walu walu swimming in the water at night, and wander around to White Beach in the evenings if we wanted (my husband proposed while walking to White Beach). While very basic, our stay at Spider House was absolute magic!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DMClayton
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

Here is my honest advice!

during the day there is no better place to be, the staff are welcoming and polite (although not always very responsive). The views are one of the best on the beach, you have access to other resorts sun set views, you can simply walk into the water from your balcony, it really is the best side of the beach and I can not recommend it more.... unless you are staying for more that 3 nights. The novelty of the tree house style sleeping arrangement soon wears thin as you can hear you neighbours talk, laugh, walk and fart. the beds are small and the only way to keep cool is with a very old and noisy fan in your ear the entire night. this is why I would recommend staying there for 2/3 nights then going somewhere more comfortable. you can also visit spider house from other hotels and enjoy the best of both.

Room Tip: think posh camping and you will be in for a treat. its a tree house.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mahdi2
LettuceInn, Owner at Spider House Resort, responded to this review, 28 October 2012
I appreciate your honest review and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the Spider House for what it is...........a native style treehouse that was built on the rocks, directly over the water.

Certainly if you are expecting a modern resort with amenities like TV and A/C, the Spider House is not for you. However if you are looking for an exotic getaway and a chance to experience what the island was like when we first arrived over 20 years ago.....The Spider House is the place to be.
Vladivostok, Russia
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Loved this hotel. Good staff. Far away from the busy beach. I liked that you can jump to the bar once in the water. Next time, stop here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Kremis R
Busan, South Korea
Reviewed 29 August 2012

My stay at the Spider house resort was absolutely amazing! I stayed there a few weeks ago and I wish I was still there. The Spider House is unlike any other place I've stayed. As soon as we got there we were welcomed with open arms and a free welcome drink! The view from the deck was breathtaking that we decided to hang out a little before checking out our room. When brought to our room I was in awe. We had our own little sun bathing area, a deck, and stairs that went straight down to the water. There also is a bar and restaurant so there really is no need to leave the resort!! If you do it is very easy to get to white beach. It is about a 10 minute walk to get to the main area and you can walk along the coast the whole way. We would do this walk at least two times a day and it was no problem!
The staff at the spider house felt like old time friends. They were always smiling, laughing and so happy to help you with anything you need. I have never felt that in any of the hotels I've stayed in. I was so sad to leave Boracay but even more sad to leave this hotel! I know for a fact I will come back to the Spider House and recommend it to anyone and everyone traveling to Boracay!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ashley P
amsterdam
Reviewed 26 August 2012

The Spider House will forever have a special place in my heart. Twenty odd what years ago I was born in what was nothing but a bamboo hut perched on the far side of the Diniwid mountain. Back then; luxuries such as running water and electricity were nothing but a distant memory. I grew up in this place, made friends for life and had an awesome childhood. Never in a million years would I have thought we would turn our home into a resort. But as time progressed, so did the island. Golf courses arose, Shangri-La’s were built and D’mall was created. It was only natural for us to share our gem with the rest of the world; if it were up to me everyone would experience the serenity and beauty our house has kept over all these years. Authenticity is truly something many beautiful places on the island have lost.

Staff members such as Dinwid, Akay and Michelle have been friends of mine since I can remember, literally. They are some of the most amazing and genuinely happy people I have ever met, the evenings we’ve spent laughing at Dinwid’s corny jokes are countless.

Of course since the house has undergone its ‘hotel-isation’, many things have changed. It’s hard to cater to the needs of every type of guest, especially in the Spider House. The type of person coming to the island for a few days looking for an ‘all-inclusive’ type of deal with an air-conditioned room and TV is at the wrong address. However, you can find plenty of these kinds of resorts on white beach, with some luck you can be really close to D’mall, should be relaxing!

Are you open minded? Adventurous? Don’t mind seeing nature in full glory? Don’t mind walls made of bamboo? Don’t mind sleeping with a fan? Don’t mind being a bit isolated from the overrun white beach?
Enjoy picturesque views? Good food? Good company? Something original? If so, then I think you might just be pleasantly surprised by what the Spider House has to offer…

Room Tip: Apartment 2 is my favorite :)
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends