“One Azul Hotel on Boracay Island”
Review of One Azul

One Azul
Ranked #151 of 227 Boracay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 August 2013

Spent 3 nights at the 'One Azul Hotel' on Boracay beach. Its part on station one but its further down the beach from the main hub of excitement. Approximately a 10 minute walk. The hotel is quite a nice hotel and well looked after and has 4 floors. There are no lifts just stairs. It is owned by a filipino business man and his family. I was in given room 202 which I thought was pretty good. Not a large room but you can 'swing a cat in it' to term a phrase. I was given a great deal of 1800 pesos a night ($45.00 AUD) or ($40.00 US ) a night. The bed was firm and was a kingsize, there is no fridge in the room so get yourself some bottled water to drink. There is a modern air conditioner and a cabled TV with great reception. The bathroom is not overly large (as compared in 5 star hotels) and there is a medium sized shower and vanity basin and toilet. Hot ( and I mean hot) and cold running water with good pressure. Soaps and shampoos are supplied. I have read in other peoples reviews that they had experienced no hot water but I can't see how this could be as I had no problem at all. The staff are good and anything you need you just need to ask for and they will get for you. In my room ( 202) there was no view of the ocean as my room just looked down into the entry walkway... which was ok. I didnt feel the need to see the ocean from my room especially as I was spending most of my day on the beach and in the water. On level 4 you can ask for the rooms with an ocean view but I guess they will be a lot more costly. There was one family room on level 4 that I saw which was quite large and had several king size beds in it and a few single beds so I guess this would suit families or groups of
traveling couples.

I guess the only downside for me is that there is no back way into or out of the One Azul Hotel which leads to the road. This makes it a little unorthodox when arriving or leaving with your cases etc. You will need to carry them for about 5 minutes or son ( or have a local carry it for you and pay him 100 pesos..well worth it) Try carrying 10 Kilos up the beach on your own. ( I say 10 kilos as that is all you will be allowed to take on PAL or Cebu Pacific airlines for a Boracay trip)

The other problem worth noting is the time of the year you go there - as I did in August, the weather is not so good and the tides are very different. When I was leaving to go back to cebu I needed to be up at 5.00 and leaving ( walking along the beach) at 6.00 and no later. After 6.00 a.m. the waves crash right up to the walls and the beach is totally impassable and you cannot walk along the beach at any point. By 1.00 pm in the afternoon it starts to recede and starts to resemble the Boracay beach we all know and love. So choose your vacation months wisely and keep this in mind when you need to leave the island. In any case you WILL need to get to the road to get a trike to take you back to the boats to take you to Caticlan and the airport. If in doubt just ask any of the guards there and they will tell you the way off the island.
I found One Azule very peaceful, no load noises and for 100 peso you can get a decent breakfast of breads, coffee eggs and cooked beef. This is cooked by the little food tall outside the One Azul hotel. One Azule does not provide breakfasts

Apart from that I had a good time. The long walks back to One Azule (10 minutes ) help to walk off the meal you have just had in the night life centre of station 1 and with the warm winds blowing in, almost make you want to take that midnight swim.

Tip. If you don't like walking much don't choose One Azule Hotel. If you do like the strolls and peaceful meandering along the beach and walking up stairs - then this is the hotel and location for you.

4  Thank philippineslover

Reviewed 14 August 2013

We were looking for somewhere for us and friends to stay on a budget and plumped for One Azul because it is effectively right on White Beach. It took some time finding it and it's not an easy walk dragging luggage down narrow lanes and along the sand but we got there in the end.

I would only barely call this a hotel - more like an apartment block or motel. Reception - barely a reception - is a one-person counter at the foot of the stairs. Although virtually on White Beach, none of the rooms overlook it which may be a consideration for some.

As for facilities - you get a cheap room - that it it. Will suit many, maybe not others.

The room was fine if on the small side. it was clean and tidy and for the money was everything you could expect. We did have to buy some spray to get rid of ants - I don't like livestock of any kind in my room!

Be careful if you plan to pay with anything other than cash - they don't do it. They did go out there way though to arrange laundry for us and when late in the day they heard we were leaving around 7am on the Monday they somehow got our clean clothes back in time for our departure!

Two star rating not because it was particularly bad value - just because it is pretty basic. Fine if you want a clean room on White Beach where you can leave your gear safely and get a good wash and sleep when you need it.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Arthur G
Reviewed 24 May 2013

We thought we pretty much had a good deal for P4,800/night but much to our disappointment. Location was already bad enough since they did not have an entrance from the main road. We had to go through that narrow passage which led us to the side of Sea Wind Resort. From there, it was roughly a 5 min walk to the actual hotel. (A 5-min walk on sand isn't actually easy)
We were given the premiere ocean view room, 4th (top) floor, No elevators. View isn't as we expected yet the room was clean and well kept. The CR was also nicely interiored but the water pressure was poor. As for the breakfast, we were told that we will be given continental breakfast from Aling Gloria’s carenderia, which was a few steps away from the hotel. Continental to them was about Hotcakes, nothing more. Since we didn’t like hotcakes, we requested for a simple Tapsilog instead and even offered to pay the difference but they insisted that they'd have to charge the entire amount if we didnt take the continental, just because it's really what's part of the package.

During the 2nd night, it rained hard and we lost electricity. We looked at the other hotels and they've managed to keep their electricity on. For about 30mins, we had to endure the heat, thinking maybe, they were just turning on the generator. When we called out to the "front desk officer" slash guard (who was apparently new), he said they didn't have generator. We called the real front desk officer who wasn't around at the time and she told us that they really had generator and that she'll tell the guard to open it. We waited for about another 15 mins before the electricity finally went on again. We felt really awful the whole time we were there.
We hope management can really look into this or else they'll lose more clients.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank YBenitez
Reviewed 19 May 2013

We stayed in One Azul for 3 nights. The hotel was really small and it was situated in the northern part of station 1 - really far from the lists of good restaurants and bars. To me, you could find a better hotel with a cheaper price. Their rooms were very
basic - just a double sized bed, a/c and television, no fridge. They serve very basic breakfast as well (bread, egg and a slice of mango) and you have to eat in the Gloria's sort of carinderia in front of the hotel wherein the wait staff are not that accommodating at all. Also, the hotel is not in the beach front, it is behind the aformentioned carinderia so please take note of that. In addition, the hotel is not accessible at all as they do not have an entrance from the road, instead you will have to take a small walkway beside Seawind going to the beach front and you have to walk for about 3 mins going to One Azul. Imagine how hassle that was? To me, never again to this motel. I would rather stay in hotels between stations 1 and 2 right smack where the action is. Trust me on this.

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank MVEV
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Quaint hotel on white beach - it is tucked away from the busy strip along station 1-2 and right next to one of Boracay's popular Moroccan restaurants, Kasbah. The rooms are spacious, clean and well kept. It won't offer you a view of the beach from your room but it is just a few steps away from the water. The hotel provides an area by the beach with chairs and sun beds but often full because the space is quite limited and shared with 2 other hotels beside it.

Arrival experience is not as pleasant as expected since there is no road access from behind the hotel. You would have to take a 5-minute walk on the beach before you reach the hotel. Not always very convenient if you want a quick tricycle ride to d'mall but its always a nice stroll on the beach heading to the busy party area of the island.

Room Tip: Walk-in guests can haggle for a lower rate. Request for a room on ground level for easy access to th...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveling_sushi888
Reviewed 2 April 2013

If you're not familiar with Boracay then you should be aware that the 7km white sandy shore is jammed with hotels, restaurants and retail outlets ( I was expecting it to be more spread out). North of Station 1 offers more exclusion...for a price. One Azul is nestled next to the Ambassador (premium resort) and Kasbah (middle Eastern restaurant). There is no direct street access so u need to access via a resort that is 100 metres away which can be a bit of an effort with a suitcase and soft sand.

The hotel reception is small and functional. Staff are friendly and helpful and you can arrange tours, laundry etc via them (for a fee). The rooms are small but serve their purpose. Windows face up the beach so the sea view is more a vista. Rooms are nicely decorated which gives is a premium feel. Beds and pillows are comfortable and air con units are new and do the job. The ensuite is compact and water pressure a bit light but nicely appointed with a decent size shower. The hotel building offers nothing else; it's all rooms. There is a private patch of sand with lounges for guests and tables and chairs under a canopy for the basic restaurant. Breakfast is basic and coffee is instant.

Kasbah does have a Hip Hop DJ every other night so if you're aiming to get to sleep before midnight every night of your stay, bring ear plugs or stay somewhere else.

I booked for 4000 peso a night over peak season (Holy week). I extended my stay and negotiated down to 3500.

Enjoy!

• Stayed: April 2013
4  Thank MrLeeMan2u
Reviewed 2 January 2013

We booked the nye for one night stay because the hotel nearby which we wanted to book is full on nye night. This is one of very few places still has room available in May when we tried to book for nye(!!!!), I kinda figured it might not be that sought after....but we don't really have a choice.

This place doesn't have direct access to the main road so you need to go through a nearby hotel to get to the beach then walk towards it, so be aware if you have a heavy suitcase-like me...

It is a small B&B, no elevator, small front desk at the ground floor, hotel staff will give u a key n help u carry the suitcase to the room.

SuperiorRoom is quite small, we had a queen bed, there isn't really any room for my suitcase so I just laid it on the ground, it just for one night so what the hell...

There is a led tv in the room which is quite surprising, for a small place in a small island, this is consider advanced, I think. No telephone, the bathroom is small, too, the amenities are home style, means you share with other guests stayed in this room. There r two bath towels, a safe uses a actual key to lock, and that's pretty much it. The paper curtain can't block the light properly...

The breakfast is three toast plus half mango n a egg, no fuss.

We paid 5000 pesos for the nye, obviously it will be cheaper at any other time. Station one has the best beach and other places around it r more expensive so I think this is a value stay in the area.

The room decor is decent n tropical, just like the website shows, but you can only expect a place to sleep and shower, n a decent tv to watch-almost like rent a holiday apartment. Unless u get the only ocean view room which seems better.

Room Tip: Try the ocean view room if you can
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple