“Well done Josh”

Cuisines: Philippine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 September 2013

SEPTEMBER 18, 2013! Save the date and be part of our 5th Pastry and Culinary Congress! Awarded as the "Best Chef of the year" in the recently Philippine Culinary Cup 2013! He won 2 Golds and 5 Silvers award! Reserve now!!! — with Josh Boutwood.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I was looking forward to eating at the Alchemy but have to say we were not really impressed with the food, it seems to be very hit and miss.
We arrived without a reservation but this wasn't a problem as we were the only ones there, we asked if my husband could have the 6 course tasting menu and the waiter told us it had to be ordered the day before but he would ask the chef , he came back and said it was possible. I wanted the Fillet tenderloin and was told they didn't want to serve it because it was too tough and practically insisted I have the Pork Belly in Cola sauce. The course that stood out in the tasting menu was the risotto with the Baby squid which was quite delicious and the fresh fish in tarragon sauce was also very good, the dessert which was a fried banana with ice cream in my opinion shouldn't be on a tasing menu but maybe it was because we hadn't ordered the day before and they didn't have anything prepared. My Belly pork with cola sauce was pretty average and should have been served sprinkled with popcorn which either they forgot or didn't have. Positive was a very good Cabernet Sauvignon for only 850 pesos.
There's something missing at this restaurant which is probably why it's never busy, we walked past every night and only ever saw another table eating there, it's expensive for Boracay but not over the top our total bill was 3500 pesos including the wine which isn't bad but they have to be more consistent with the food as it goes from excellent to quite average.
We will probably give it another try when we return to Boracay but will order the menu the day before to see if they were just having a bad day on this visit.

1  Thank Chrella
Reviewed 15 April 2013 via mobile

I first tried Alchemy in Feb 2012 and was very pleased with the food. So much so that it was top of my list of places to dine this time. I wish I hadn't bothered.

The four dishes we ordered read well on the menu, and in terms of flavour, came close. But the execution was amateur, probably because the chef on duty was indeed an amateur still training.

By way of example, mashed potato should be well seasoned and smooth. Under no circumstances should it be gluttonous and feature chunks of uncooked potato. This is why God invented the sieve!

Alchemy shows that there is a difference between being a good chef and running a good restaurant. The latter requires a well trained and capable team who can maintain quality and consistency when the chef patron is absent. These attributes were fatally missing from Alchemy when I visited.

Reviewed 26 March 2013

Food was good but expensive. We were the only diners sitting on the beach - initially we were shown to a table for 4 with dirty tablecloths and moved (ourselves) to another table. Service was intermittent - being away from the main restaurant seemed to cause the staff to forget we were there. Not one I would whole-heatedly recommend.

Reviewed 7 March 2013

Cozy restaurant on the beach, White Beach station 1. We had very good meal, maybe the prices are higher than average but still affordable. The portions indeed small but very special choices. The service was also very good. No credit card payment allowed but it's written also on the menu.