“Very Nice Stylish Hotel in a Great Location......but”

The District Boracay
Ranked #6 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
Los Angeles, California
“Very Nice Stylish Hotel in a Great Location......but”
Reviewed 11 August 2013 via mobile

This is a very nice, very new and very clean hotel in a great location. The service and the food are both good and I've alwasy enjoyed all the people that work at the District as they have always been super friendly and fun to visit with.

The only problem w/the District and it seems like it wasn't that big of a deal. But now that a return trip is on the horizon, I find myself looking for alternative places to stay which is a bummer because this is a very nice botique hotel. OK, here it is. the unprofessionalism and problem was with a couple of their front desk people, who I presume were very new or at the least not trained at all. It was shocking as I've never had anything but wonderful experiences with everyone associated with the District. When my buddy was checking out, there was a problem with the bill and it was the error of the hotel. He happened to be tight on time and agreed to pay the extra incorrect amount as it wasn't too outrageous. It would have been reasonable to assume the event was finished, but on the way airport the front desk woman called the driver and told them to report that they wanted additional funds. It was completely absurd and he disagreed. Upon arriving home, an email was sent from the District further inflating the amount they said was owed. After agreeing in the lobby to pay what they suggested it should have been over. It's really too bad, because the District is great in all regards but this was handled so poorly that eventhough I'll be returning a couple of times per year, I'll be looking for a different place to stay.

Any recommendations for great places in Boracay would be greatly appreciated.

TIP: Boracay is about the coolest place ever BTW. If you haven't been, it should go to the very top of your traveling Bucket List.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Millard112
ch1020, Marketing & PR Supervisor at The District Boracay, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Dear MillardEMJ,

Warm greetings from The District Boracay, your contemporary boutique beachfront resort in Boracay!

Thank you so much for the very kind words about our staff. We are very happy to hear that you particularly enjoyed the food at the resort. We are, however, sorry to hear about your unfavorable experience, and we apologize for any inconvenience this have caused you.

As a standard procedure, we have investigated the case and made the necessary actions to ensure that similar incidents (of miscommunication) will no longer happen in the future. It is always our commitment to provide personalized service and the most memorable holiday to each guest, and we hope this experience won’t keep you from considering us again on your next visit to the island.

Once again, thank you for staying at The District Boracay on various occasions, it was certainly our pleasure to have you at the resort! We hope you can come back and visit us again in the future.

Marketing & PR Supervisor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 August 2013

If something sound too good to be true, it usually is. Not the case for this hotel. We changed our booking at the last minute & have no regrets at choosing The District to spend our holiday in Boracay. We were picked up from the airport by the friendly staff who escorted us to the hotel via boat & van, all the while playing our guide by showing us the sights as we passed through. As soon as we walked through the door, we were greeted by Cindy & the girls at the front desk with warm refresher towels & welcome drinks. Our room was immaculately clean & well taken care of with simple & modern decor. All the staff were so obliging to every request we made, from guarding our belongings on the beach front as we explored the shops to fetching some medication that we couldn't find. Each of the staff members we came across went beyond the call of duty & we were so grateful for their help. One of the great things on offer at The District was their packages - such great value & the experience of a lifetime. The adventure package included various outdoor activities around the island & they took care of everything for us - even when one of the island tour guides double charged us, the District staff were able to get our money refunded by the end of the day. The romance package included a full body hour long massage in the comfort & privacy of our own hotel room, as well as a romantic dinner for two & a sunset sail along the beach. Their location is ideal, beachfront & surrounded by all the popular, bars, clubs, restaurants & shops yet private enough for anyone to get sleep in the early hours of the morning. I have recommended The District to ALL my friends who have asked about our holiday & am proud to say that my boyfriend & I will be returning to The District on our next Boracay holiday. Thank you!

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Graciefull,

Thank you so much for the great review! It has always been our commitment to provide the most personalized service to all our guests, and we are very pleased to hear that The District Boracay has been instrumental in making this holiday a memorable one for you.

We are also very happy to hear that our packages were to your liking. To provide guests with the most enriching holiday experience, we try to come up with packages that offer the best value by adding extra treats that we feel our guests will enjoy. We couldn’t be happier to hear that you enjoyed our limited offer, the Adventure Package.

Once again, thank you for choosing The District Boracay and it was our pleasure to have you at the resort! We can’t wait to have you and your boyfriend back at the resort again next time!

Seoul
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I'm not the type to leave feedback for any establishment, be it good or bad (seeing as this is my first post ever). But I must say... I've stayed in 5 star hotels all throughout the world...and there's something about The District that really compelled me to leave a review. Now I'll gloss over what everybody else has already talked about (Excellent location, modern rooms/facilities, etc...) and I'll speak more on the staff. I flew out to Boracay (4th time) for my GF's birthday. Cindy and her staff went above and beyond for us. We had transportation arranged for us straight to the hotel. We were greeted by the staff with wet towels wipes, drinks, and warm welcomes upon arrival. We were escorted to the room and opened the door to find the 2 story suite lavished with flowers, fruit, and balloons. After having a second to take it all in..we receive a knock at our door to find 6-7 staff members there with a cake to sing my gf happy birthday. Awesome.

All of that aside.. the staff knew us and greeted us by name. They greeted us with big smiles and genuinely were interested if everything was ok and if there was anything we needed. They bent over backwards to see any requests we had were met and exceeded. My prior trips to Boracay I stayed at the Mandarin.... moving forward I highly recommend to my friends and anyone interested in receiving the 1st class treatment to give The District a shot.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jay828
Dear Jay828,

Thank you so much for generous and positive compliments about the resort. It is heartwarming to hear that the resort (in general) was to your liking, and is equally humbling to be given and made worthy of your time by sharing your experiences to your fellow travelers here on TripAdvisor.

It is our commitment to provide the most personalized service to all our guests, and we couldn’t be happier that our efforts (even the smallest ones) are validated by positive comments such as yours. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to showcase our best asset – our staff. The pleasure of serving you was certainly ours.

We can’t wait to have you back at the resort again next time!

Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

The District is located on the beach of Station 2. The hotel is very chic, clean, romantic, and the staff are very hardworking to ensure that you have a pleasant stay. We had a wonderful 5 day stay at this lovely hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
ch1020, Marketing & PR Supervisor at The District Boracay, responded to this review, 30 July 2013
Dear PMDEE,

Many thanks for the positive feedback. We owe it to our guests to give them the most memorable holiday experience, and we are delighted to hear that you also had 5 wonderful days at the resort.

It was our pleasure to have you at the resort, and we certainly hope to have you back again next time!

Hong Kong
Reviewed 28 July 2013

My daughter and I started off by booking only one night. We were perplexed by all of the different types of accommodation in Boracay as shown on Trip Advisor and other sites. We also booked only one night at first because we decided to travel at the very last moment. We checked into The District not knowing quite what to expect but thinking it was a little above our budget. We got there and loved our experience, from the transit from the airport at Caticlan (you need to depart the arrivals room to find the hotel representative) to driving along the main road in Boracay, to walking with our luggage to the beachfront, to seeing our room. The room is not terribly large but it was great. We had two double beds, which suited us fine. The hotel in mid 2013 was still quite new and this makes a world of difference in the Philippines. I hope they maintain the property! The view from the balcony is beautiful. Not 180 degrees beachfront but enough ocean view to satisfy. As always with the Philippines, the quality that tips the scales is customer service and the attitude of staff. I lived in the Philippines 23 years ago, and this holiday made me realise how homesick after Hong Kong and China I was for the graciousness, hospitality, kindness and smiles of the Filipino people. It certainly was a delight that English language was so pervasive. Anyway, I started off with only one night's booking. I was concerned that the hotel was too expensive (even though I had got a decent rate on agoda - my first time trying this site). My daughter and I checked out Red Coconut next door and some other places and we kept thinking....seedy. We loved the District because the location was so central...yes, it is Station 2. This was perfect because it was our first trip to Boracay and because I had a 16 year old in tow who wanted activity and a wee bit of nightlife. I could have taken a quieter area, but we decided to be near the action. The beauty of The District is that we had all the low-season water sports, the beachfront, Station 2, restaurants, the frenzy etc etc, but as soon as we stepped into The District the chaos melted away and it was quieter, mellow, stylish, cool, contemporary design. We enjoyed the pool, the room, the professional and warm service, the pizza at the restaurant. Without my prompting at all, the staff brought a lovely little cake to the room on my daughter's birthday. We did check out other properties, but we came back to The District for our 2nd and 3rd night - the rate seemed liked a good value. I would love to stay at this property again. I will just add that i was surprised to see the 'barricades' that were built along White Beach in the low season. After being there (and after living through many typhoons in Hong Kong) I am not at all surprised that they are needed to keep water / sand etc at bay, but still the bamboo and plastic edifices are a bit of an eyesore during the rainy season.... please do not be surprised by them. Enjoy Boracay! It's wonderful. I only wish I had come 23 years ago to see what it was like when there truly were huts on the beach. What will it be like in four years' time when Caticlan is open to non-stop international flights from other countries?!

Room Tip: Unlike some other hotels, The District is relatively new and it does have lifts. We loved being on t...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear HKinquisitive,

Thank you so much for the very positive feedback, and for entrusting your entire holiday to The District Boracay. We are very pleased to know that you loved your stay at the resort, and equally delighted that the whole experience – including the view from the balcony, the pool, the pizza at Caruso Ristorante Italiano, the location of the resort, and the customer service of our staff – was to your liking. We always strive to make each holiday memorable for every guests, and we couldn’t be happier that our efforts are validated by positive comments such as yours.

Boracay was indeed a paradise 23 years ago, and its charm remains up to this day and hopefully in the years to come for future generations to enjoy. While it is true that the island is fast becoming a commercialized destination, we can all do our share to help maintain its pristine environment. The Local Government of Boracay recognizes this fact, and has been doing its share in helping preserve the beauty of the island.

Thank you for returning to the country and for visiting the island/The District Boracay, the pleasure was definitely ours.

Echuca, Australia
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We stayed at The District Boracay for 7 nights. From the minute we arrived in Caticlan airport we were looked after and made feel very comfortable. We were met at the airport and transferred to the District by air con van, ferry, and van again and helped the entire way by the boys who were so helpful and nice. We walked in the entrance of the hotel to a beautiful greeting from all the staff and from that minute felt like we had made the perfect choice of hotels. The rooms were large and very clean. They were serviced twice a day if needed. The hotel is very modern and a stand out in the area by far. It is location perfect with the mall, restaurants and night life very close and the beach right at the front door. The pool is really nice and clean and good size. The buffet breakfast was very fresh and the restaurant staff very helpful with everything. They even made us a take away breakfast on our last day as we had a 4am checkout. Special thanks to Cindy at the front desk for her welcoming and help throughout our stay, also Edgar by the beach for making our stay very enjoyable and very helpful information about the island etc and Myke for his help with transfers and helpful information about everything we needed to know. We would not consider another hotel on our return to Boracay next time. Loved it

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
ch1020, Marketing & PR Supervisor at The District Boracay, responded to this review, 28 July 2013
Dear DarrenV,

Thank you so much for the very kind words. The whole team is extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and equally delighted of your intent to visit us again on your next holiday to the island!

We always strive to provide a complete and a comfortable holiday experience to all guests, and we couldn’t be happier whenever our efforts are validated by positive comments such as yours. I will forward this note to the whole Front Desk, F&B and Housekeeping team, as I am sure they’d be very happy to read your feedback.

Just a short note, we now have daily breakfast specials which you will surely enjoy on your next visit!

Once again, thank you very much for choosing The District Boracay, the pleasure was definitely ours.

Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

After a prepaid transfer from Kalibo to Caticlan, we were met by Joffre who escorted us through the port, bypassing the queue waiting to enter the board. Check in was quick with a delicious Kalamansi drink. We were staying in a deluxe suite and the extra space + separate living room were great. Bed was comfy, shower pressure very strong and all amenities - shampoo etc, were very good quality. 7pm knock on the door/treats left on the bedside table. Breakfast buffet had a wide variety of food definitely catering to western tastes. Must recommend the truffle sauce tagliatelle (number 64 on the menu) and I think pizza number 6, or whichever is the only with salami. Both totally homemade and big thumbs up.

Pool was great but district is located right on the beach and lounge chairs are only for hotel guests. Edgar, who was often on duty at the beach bar, was always great to speak to and always willing to take your holiday snaps with the magnificent back drop of white beach!

Overall, The District was a winner. It is pricey but you certainly are receiving what you pay for in terms of service, quality and location. The staff are very helpful in helping you with any needs you have.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Monica B,

Thank you so much for the very generous comments. We are extremely pleased that everything was to your liking down to the simplest of gestures. We are aware that some guests find our rate relatively high that is why it is always such a treat whenever guests express their satisfaction over our facilities and services.

We ensure that all guests get their money’s worth, and even aim to give them more than that. Reading from your feedback, I feel that we have succeeded on that aspect, many thanks for pointing that out.

Once again, our heartfelt thanks for choosing to stay with us. Hope to have you back again on your next visit to the island!