“Service is worsening”

Ranked #18 of 147 Hotels in Boracay
San Francisco, California
“Service is worsening”
Reviewed 10 February 2014

I will preface this review by stating that my partner and I have stayed at this property on 3 other occasions. This was by far the worst of the experiences. The service has deteriorated significantly, which is a big problem when there are so many other options in Boracay.

LOCATION:
Great location, property is across a walkway to the beech, which is nice. There are 3 pools to use, so it is not too crowded at any one area. The pool bar is more crowded, since they make drinks for the lobby here as well as the pool area. The bartenders are pretty cool though.

ROOM:
The rooms have not changed since our first stay in 2008, so they are a bit dated. They also have TERRIBLE internet access, which you purchase in daily cards from the front desk. It is a pretty disappointing thing, when trying to stay in touch with family around the world by email.

RESTAURANT:
Our rate included all of our meals, which historically were very good on our other stays. This time, however, the quality is less. The food is average at best. Some things are seasoned okay, but others are quite bland. At breakfast, they are no longer making omelettes made to order, but want you to eat what they have prepared already. This is just laziness, in my opinion. In the evening, they had a beach barbeque one night, which we joined (for an upcharge). It was basically useless, but added grilled seafood. The seafood was not cooked well. The chefs have now begun a dance routine a couple of times each night. It was amusing to watch, although there are better things to watch along the beach walk. This was a problem our last night, however. I ordered from the stirfry station, as I had sone on the preceeding nights. The dance began and no food came. One of our companions went and ordered and got his food right away. We asked staff repeatedly to check, but they said it was coming. After waiting over an hour, my partner's father asked about it and they said it was almost ready. They eventually brought a plate of food, but it was not what I had selected! I think they lost it and made something up! The new one had shrimp, which I do not like as well as vegetables I would never select. We pointed this out and staff was unconcerned, stating I could just go have something else made. At this point, everyone was finished eating already, except for me. We asked for the manager, and a female was sent to the table, confirming that she was the person in charge. She listened to out story and was unapologetic and said to just have another one made. I guess the staff really gets direction from this attitude. We then asked if there was any other person to speak with and eventually Roderick Cortes was sent to us. he is the F&B Manager. To his credit, he was actually apologetic and comped our upgraded meal. He also invited us to an upgraded breakfast, but we had an early departure the next day and could not take advantage of it.

I expressed my concern that the dancing chefs have taken priority over food quality and service in the restaurant. I am not sure that anyone at Regency even cares anymore. I am fairly certain that we will not return to Regency on our next Boracay trip. There are so many places to stay that are newer, nicer, and have better reputations now.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank David A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 9 February 2014

The ambiance is good,But there's no free wifi in the room..very accessible to the beach..accomodating and friendly staff..delicious food on their free breakfast and nice place to view the white beach..

• Stayed February 2014
Xiamen, China
Reviewed 7 February 2014 via mobile

Big resort...but a bit old setup. Great breakfast though.
Not exactly beach front kind, but next to the beach.
If you like the actions at Station 2, this is a great choice for your stay.
We happened had a great fun and wonderful Beach Party Dinner at the resort...how cute when all the chefs suddenly started to dance and performance...the songs and the funny movement are still in our head.
I would say that was one of our memorable stays

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Irvine, California
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This is my second time staying at this hotel. I stayed here for NYE for a total of four nights. The location of the hotel is great because it is next to Station 2 so it isn't too far from the action. Before arriving to the Regency, I stayed at the Shangri-La resort, which is much better but cost more in general. Unfortunately, I had the stomach virus and wasn't doing well on the day I had to transfer from Shangri-La to the Regency. Shangri-La provided a shuttle and dropped me off at the Regency around 1:20PM. I tried to do an early check-in and explain my situation. I was told that the room would be "expedited." Long story short, it wasn't expedited at all and I ended up checking in around 3:20PM. As I waited for the room, I had to throw up in 15-25 minute intervals in the guest bathroom. I understand this isn't their fault but they couldn't have been less accommodating and was even late all around. Once I got into my room, they put me in the further corner of the resort with no view or good Wifi access. Since I was sick, I was in the room for most of the day, the A/C would not be consistent and I had a hard time being comfortable. Did not have any of these issues at the Shangri-La. Also note that you cannot drink the tap water here so you have to be careful. These were issues I didn't have to worry about at the Shangri-La. It is an OK place to stay but I can't rave about it anymore besides its convenient location.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Vinhle805
Taichung, Taiwan
Reviewed 5 February 2014

This was my first time in Boracay! The Boracay Regency made our stay a wonderful stay! We enjoyed our stay at the room as well as the breakfasts every morning! Rooms and lobby's furniture are old, but the service is excellent!

Room Tip: THe room furniture is kind of old in the rooms as well as lobby. THe airconditioning is noisy and ol...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Massoud M
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Amazing! Loved every single mintute there and would most likely stay there again in the near future. The staff were extremely welcoming, polite and always helpful. The quality of the room, restaurant and the overall hotel was of a very high standard. We simply enjoyed it even more because of the money for value packaged we purchased for our weekend stay :)

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank jtaladucon
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 2 February 2014

I never get tired of staying in boracay regency everytime am in the island. Few steps away from the finest sands of boracay with excellent service. The room was clean and spacious with most of the things we need just within our reach. Although the gala dinner for the chinese new year was not really what I expected, not much food selection, it was super crowded, probably with too many guests the staff were not so nice and polite to us but the receptionist when we checked out was extremely helpful. In the midst of uncertainty i.e. coastguard had suspended the boat rides from the island to caticlan. She remained calmed giving us options without making commitments since we are trying to chase our international flight from manila. I have brought friends and officemates in this hotel, will definitely continue to do so.

• Stayed February 2014