“Great-away-from-it-all romantic clifftop treat overlooking ocean”
Review of Nami Resort

Nami Resort
Ranked #40 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
London
“Great-away-from-it-all romantic clifftop treat overlooking ocean”
Reviewed 13 January 2011

We booked the hotel online at a day's notice because we were arriving New Year's Eve, The advertised rates are steep but once there we managed to negotiate a room for three times less - making it a fantastic £50 a night between two.

The setting is sensational. You arrive via an external bamboo elevator that is like the approach to a Bond film hideaway. The villas perch on a clifftop overlooking the ocean and have jacuzzis on the balcony, from where we watched New Year's fireworks with a bucket of chilled wine.

The staff are very well trained - a little haphazard at times but they more than make up for it with politeness, friendliness and willingness to cater to your every whim. My girlfriend was spiked by a sea urchin (very common in Boracay when the water is choppy) and they sorted her out with a bucket of vinegar without any fuss.

You don't need to pay for the (expensive) transfer - go by boat yourself and get a tricycle or Nami's free shuttle bus. The Ocean suite was beautiful, some of the others more basic but all with pretty much stunning views. The spa is also very good. The restaurant food is very good and reasonably priced, as are drinks. The sundeck is also very handy if you don't want to hit the beach. You are a 20 minute walk or so along the beach from the main resort action, which is over-developed and crowded and best avoided until you want to eat out.

We had a wonderful lazy week relaxing at Nami. Before they came up with the deal, we checked out hotels the entire length of the resort without seeing any as nice or competitively priced if you can haggle them down.

Nami is a credit to the owners. When you see the way many people in the Philippines still live in shacks, the vision to create such a well-designed resort in such a stunning setting and the standards of service and staffing they have achieved is highly impressive.

Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tpsontour
NamiResort, Reservations Officer at Nami Resort, responded to this review, 8 February 2011
Dear Sir / Madam,

Thank you for your kind words!

We would be glad to welcome you again in Nami.

Kind Regards,
Bianca Battistella
Reservations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2011

Stayed here at peak time over xmas and new year so i thought that the hiked up prices were a lot in terms of the standard of accommodation. If you can stay here low season then I am sure it would seem more reasonable.
The staff are all utterly amazing. Smiles at every turn and your every need anticipated. My nami was a lady called Toni and she was brilliant. After day 1 she just knew what I wanted and when I wanted it even before I did in some cases! Ralph collected me from the airport and took me back and he was totally adorable. The location is brilliant at the end of Diniwid beach. The sun loungers on the deck made you feel very exclusive. Sun loungers could have been more comfortable- they did not have matresses like every other hotels loungers had. Not sure why. The lift up is mental. Never got used to it! Food is great and I thought it was very much worth the value. Breakfast was included in my rate + free swedish massages which were fab.
The rooms all have balconies with jacuzzi baths. Make sure you get your nami to run one for you (they take forever to fill up so plan ahead). I had one in the day time when it was raining and one in the evening time. Very romantic and relaxing.
The room itself was just OK. It was quite dusty and there were cobwebs in a couple of the lamps. The bed was perfectly comfortable. Loud air con but I always travel with ear plugs so no problem for me. Sun comes in through the blinds so that woke me up early every morning. You really are paying for the location, the view and the service.
I would recommend this place but having said that, I probably would not stay here again unless I got a really really good rate.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Muiriel77
Dear Sir/ Madam,

We are glad that you had a wonderful experience in Nami.

We hope to see you again.

Thank you.

Kind Regards,
Bianca Battistella
Reservations
Shanghai
Reviewed 18 October 2010

Nami sits above all the other resorts/inns at Diniweed, the most northen part of Boracay. We took its "elevator" made out of wood and bamboo to Nami's reception. Despite the understandable noise and oftentime a somewhat sudden launch when descending, the elevator appears to be working stable and safe. It is opearted by a staff from the resort at all times.

Out of the elevator, we were led to the reception. The receptionist of that day was polite and informative. There are three types of rooms at Nami. Upon our request to see the room, the receptionist took us to the only room not occupied that day, and we both loved it right away. I recall it was a Seaview Surpeior Room. For an approximately PHP 1,000 difference, we eventually decided to take the Seaview One-bedroom Suite. It was not a peak season. We bargained a bit and ended up with PHP7,500 for one night. We also booked a Swedish Spa for 2.

Our butler Ged escorted us to our room after we checked in two days later. The living room was huge, with a jacuzzi-equipped balcony. The view from balcony was the entire diniweed sea area, stunning.. He then showed us the bedroom, connecting to the washroom (separate from the shower room and the toilets). What I like about the place is that Nami put in a water dispenser where we can have "unlimited" driking water during our stay, free all the fuss about saving on the pitiful 2 free bottle of daily drinking water or planning on getting water on our way. What a seemingly complex problem for other hotels, Nami made it straight and simple here.

Then it's a spacy shower room and two separte rooms with toilets. We were literally lost after following Ged through all these rooms. All rooms were nicely decorated. Nami and Ged succeeded in pleasantly surprising us. The only thing is that bedroom uses wooden blocks as curtain, which is not very well light-proof.

The Swedish Spa was absolutely wonderful. It is one hour and the most inexpensive on the menu but the staff did it without reservation. The Spa room was nicely scented with herbs. The two girls both have great techniques. Close to the end of the massage, they put some mint-scented essential oil on their hands and rubbed their palms against each other close to my nose. The smell of that scent made me feel that my sense became alive and could feel myself all the way till my chest. After several times of palms-rubbing, they applied the oil to my body, very soothing and relaxing. Another delicate experience was that they use finger tips to touch me from neck to kneels. It was as if their fingers were leading my senses and the nerves were interestingly worked up. All in all, it is a must-try if you are staying in Diniweed.

When we were out of the Spa Room, our butler Ged approached to us asking about our experience and told us that he had prepared jacuzzi for us. We returned to our room, and the balcony was lighted with candles and scented with essential oil. The Jacuzzi was filled with hot water, foam, and rose petals.. The scene was so beautiful that we decided to further delay our dinner. The regular lighterning that night which we could see from soaking in the jacuzzi added even more flavor to that moment.

The second day. Nami's breakfast is on a half-open air terrace. We as always showed up at all breakfast place 10 minutes before closing. After being seated at a table in the middle of the terrace, Ged helped us to move to seats facing the sea. I ordered the Greek Omlette. Best ever I have had.

Nami has all the things as a resort, nice view and room, smilling and considerate staff, good spa and great food. It also has a seriously carried out system those like a 5-star hotel. When the two is combined, your trip experience just gets elevated to a new height.

By the way, the One-bedroom Sea View room is at the highest height in that area.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Milij
Beijing, China
Reviewed 29 August 2010

The hotel itself is in a great location. Its in a lovely quiet place with a semi-private beach. When we went there were very few people on or in the blue clear sea.

The hotel itself is on the side of a hill and is usually accessed with a outside lift. But this makes the place more secure and gives an amazing view from the rooms of the island and sea.

The service is excellent and first class. They will give you a free pick-up and drop off anywhere on the island which is a great benefit.

When we first arrived we thought the food was expensive however in comparison to the restaurants on the main white beach area they are very competitive and the quality of food/service is far higher.

The room we had was very big and very clean and to be honest there's little to say about it except it was very nice.

We also had the massage service they have there {not free} and that was really great too.

Well recommended hotel and would love to go back some day.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Loopins
Killeen, Texas
Reviewed 11 June 2010

This hotel is the best hotel on the island! Me and my wife have been to numerous resorts around the world and have never found one this friendly and charming. The people here seem to really care. I took my wife's parents and grandparents and we were overwhelmed by their efforts. First off, this is recommended for people who don't want the noise and crowd of the main beach. We spent 4 nights there and there was no more than 6 people on our side swimming. From morning till night the whole place had a very relaxed feel with not one bad view of the ocean in the whole place. Transportation os free burner found ourselves taking a nice 25 min stroll on the sand to D*mall in the mornings and calling for a ride back later. My wife has a very sensitive stomach and this was the only place we ate that didn't upset her stomach. And the food was great. Our nami pampered us from
start to finish. We found ourselves staying at the resort and enjoying their services, including numerous massages, more than other parts of the island. The final day, we were snorkling and my wife's grandfather got bit by a poisonous sea snake. We quickly informed the hotel who picked us up and took us to the local clinic. They then kept everyone informed and when the antivenom was not available on the island, The hotel, not the hospital, made all the transportation arrangements including flights and ambulance rides to Manila. They even sent their manager along to translate for us!! They went way above our expectations and provided us with a very memorable experience.

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Jerald475
Makati, Philippines
Reviewed 3 June 2010

We transferred to Nami after we spent a night at one of the hotel (which I also reviewed) on the White Beach.

Nami Resort granted our request to use their service to pick us up upon our arrival in Caticlan and drop us at the other hotel on the White Beach. They also arranged for our transport during the transfer to their hotel on the next day.

We received a superb service during our stay there, especially by our personal butler (Nami Joseph).
Upon our arrival, we were greeted by the staffs and they even brought us hats since we had to walk on the beach to reach the hotel. The elevator to the hotel was an unique experience since it was operated manually and had a rough stop.
At the reception, we were served with welcome drinks which had a great and refreshing taste. Nami Joseph even handed out cold refreshing towels since the weather was very hot.

The room is nice and has a great view over the beach and ocean even it is showing a little bit of its age. There is an outdoor (old) Jacuzzi as well. We requested for bubble bath one evening and it was well taken care of by our Nami. When we returned to our room, the Jacuzzi was already setup in romantic ambience with candles and flowers.

Nami Joseph was also very responsive in accommodating our request. He prepared towels and bottles of water in ice box whenever we decided to go to the beach or go for the island hopping.

The restaurant has a nice view of the beach and the food was also very nice and tasty. They also served free snacks at the tea time.

The resort is located up on the hill. It is not recommended for those who need ease of access since you will need to climb the steps before you can reach the elevator. It is quite a distance from D'mall on the White Beach. We didn't find this as a problem since the resort provided shuttle service and could be availed easily with arrangement.

The Diniwid beach was quieter than the White Beach. However, it was covered by algae at the time of our visit.

Will definitely go back and stay there if I have the chance to go back to Boracay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DryIze
UK
Reviewed 17 May 2010

Nami Private Villas was definitely great -- we would choose to stay there again if we went back. But I don't think we will as we found Boracay too crowded and commercialized when we were there in April 2009.

I'm glad we stayed at Nami; I think it has more charm and is less ultramodern and impersonal compared with the newer beachfront resorts.

Pros
- away from White Beach (not beachfront); quiet and private
- awesome views from your own terrace with jacuzzi
- van with driver on call to take you to/pick you up from any part of the island
- great service (my dress got torn and was mended for free, jacuzzi prepared with bubble bath, flowers and candles for when we returned to the resort, staff loved our 7-month-old son)
- lovely food (try the salpicao for lunch and the Filipino breakfast) -- even if you choose not to stay here, it's well worth going to the restaurant
- daily free merienda of Filipino snacks (suman, maruya, etc.)

Cons
- away from White Beach; restaurants and bars are not just outside
- resort is showing its age a little bit
- weak wifi signal in room
- van is old; no aircon (you don't spend a long time in it anyway)
- no pool

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank UkPaula