“The worse resort I have ever been”

Pearl of the Pacific Boracay Resort & Spa
Ranked #141 of 152 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed 31 May 2009

I have changed 3 rooms within 2 days, the room condition is not same as what you could find from the website. I can consolidate how terrible it is by:
1) I found a BIG SPIDER on my door
2) The electricity went out at the middle of the night around 4 a.m. and NO customer service people came up and I cant found a single touch at the room...

I could found a better hotel with the cheaper price around the place. However, since i have already paid hotel fee, so I could not do anything about...

I will not go to this hotel again .... ever...

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank chokkobo

Reviewed 21 April 2009

We were picked up on time from the airport, but when we got to the hotel, we had to wait for 2 hours for our room...
The location is beautiful, the rooms are only a few steps away from the beach. However, the rooms are very simple from the inside. The mini bar has a very limited selection, and there is no 24 hour room service. The room service that does exist may as well not exist, as the service is terrible!
Wouldn't advise anyone to stay there...

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank Melamory_m
Reviewed 6 April 2009

Upon arrival at the island of Boracay having visited the philippines several times previously I was pleasantly surprised and full of anticipation ,having heard rave reviews from several colleagues regaring the island.
The island is ..simply put breathtaking,and well worth a visit,however the choice of hotel..as we discovered should be given careful consideration.
There are a wide ranging choice of accommodation to choose from, from backpacking hostel types to the upper end 4-5 star choice .which we opted for when choosing the Pearl of the pacific, station 1 the higher end part of the famous white sand beach.
On arrival the outward appearances are very promising the staff friendly and amenable and the location is amazing.that however,is the most impressive part!
we checked into our room ,which considering what we were promised and more importantly what we had paid could only be described as adequate,
Thats where the wow factor for us ended.

we went down after a rest to the restaurant ,which was empty and we were told we were lucky to get a room.so bearing in mind the hotel was full ,at 8 o clock in the evening we were the only ones eating ,alarm bell should have rung.
The service was at best slow,im being kind here. and after several bottles of beer the meal arrived .
I have to say in all honestly it was possibly the worst food i have eaten in all the years Ive spent in Asia!
It was cold ,the salad was days old ,the sauces were irrecognisable and ruined the meal it had been trowelled over.my wife left hers after one mouthfull .
after a pleasant night on the beach and another excellent meal in another resort called Fridays we retired and re surfaced for breakfast, maybe naively thinking the evening befores meal was a one off.

We were rather suprisedly and efficiently proven wrong,once again the meal was inedible,and the coffee was awful,so I motioned to a member of staff and inquired about the chef,whereupon it was explained to me that the waiting staff cook the meals.
Unbelievable! I thought to myself,Im paying hundreds of dollars a night in a resort where they have no chef!!!!
So we walked hungrily along the beach in search of breakfast.
We had a wonderful few days on Boracay Island and it is well worth a visit,there are hundreds of bars and great restaurants to visit,people are great and friendly,but the best piece of advice I can give is choose your accommodation very carefully.
We stayed at a resort that on closer inspection is falling to pieces the rooms are damp there mould in the bathroom,the toilets dont flush and theres intermittent electric because the generator runs out of diesel..there s construction ongoing and the food was atrocious,and we paid top dollar for the privilege.
Its apparently one of the oldest resorts on the island and has been the proud owner of the worst resort on the island award ,which is chosen from amongst the other resort owners unofficially,we were told.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank paddy007HongKong
Reviewed 27 March 2009

My girlfriend and i stayed at the Pearl from March 21st-25th (4 nights) in the beachfront suite ground floor. There are only 3 rooms on the ground floor room 101-103. We paid 9450 pesos/night for a total of 37,800 pesos (business was slow and they offered us this discounted price). They charged us 500 pesos for our electronic card that we lost in the ocean. I also asked for round trip airport transfer which they included for free.

If you are in boracay to enjoy the sun, ocean and white powdery sand of station 1, Pearl has one of the best locations with probably one of the widest stretch of sand to the ocean.

the first two nights they put us in room 103 which had an excellent view of the beach and ocean. we were literally 10 steps away from station 1 beach. location wise, it was perfect for us. Exactly what we came for and exactly what we wanted.

The room DESPERATELY needs an overhaul. the condition of the room was below average. Nothing was seriously wrong with the room but at 200$/night it should be at least a decent beachfront room.

On the third morning while we were having breakfast the manager came up and asked how our stay was. After we complained about the quality of the room they promptly moved us to room 102.

Room 102 was in a much better condition but there were still room for improvement. wifi did not work well in both rooms. my blackberry bold had no problem receiving or sending texts/emails/surfing the web. However, it had an excellent view of the beach/ocean. Every morning we woke up to a view of a picture perfect beach. Perfect for any beach lovers out there. We would put on our swim suits and be on the beach in 10 steps. perfect.

Like previous comments, the breakfast was minimal and not good at all. it wasn't even acceptable.

My girlfriend would like to add the following-
"....the massage was wonderful and the room looked out over the beach and down to the ocean. probably the best vew from the hotel. the service was nice an friendly, if they renovated the place and had a better kitchen then it would be one of the best places on the beach, not too over crowded and really a nice peaceful place to stay with lots of beach front without being crowded by other hotels on the beach..."

oh... and forgot to mention.... they gave us two free 60 min massages at their beachfront spa (call Neo). The building needs renovation... in fact, the whole complex needs a face lift. I see big potential and it's a waste to see this place fall apart without proper care and management.

we ate out every day for lunch and dinner, and except for the free massages we got our massages elsewhere. About a 10 min walk and maybe a short 2 min tricycle ride to D*mall.

overall, we got what we wanted, maybe not at the best price, but we were satisfied and might consider staying at the pearl in the same beachfront rooms if the conditions of the rooms are improved.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank badkao
Reviewed 4 February 2009

Pearl of the Pacific (PP) has a great location on white beach if you want to be close to the beach and but just far enough away from the huge crowds. We stayed near the swimming pool and it was a short walk across a narrow road (which runs parrell to the beach) that splits the spa/bar/restaurant/beach front rooms from the reception/lobby/poolside and hillside rooms. It was only a 30 sec. walk from our room to the beach. Once on the beach you will notice pleanty of room to make camp. Although it's a public beach the chairs in front of the PP are reserved for guests however the are very limited (15 chairs or so with 6 or 7 canopies for shade). Walking south on the beach from PP will take you to plenty of villas, small boutique hotels, bars, restaurants and many vendors. It only takes a few minutes to go from the quite and relaxed beach in front of the PP to a busy and energetic tourist beach.

The room was ok, nothing special. It could have used some restoration. Stains in the bathroom, rusty, stained walls, etc.

We were in Boracay during peak season and walked into a couple of small hotels right on the beach to see if there were any rooms available. Many had rooms ranging from 2000-4500 pesos per night.

If we were to do it over again we would have stayed at PP the first night and spent an hour the next morning finding a cheaper place with beach front views.

If it's your first time to Boracay or don't want to be overly crowded, PP is a good choice but there are a lot of other options to spend you hard earned money.

Hope this helps....

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank TexTravel
Reviewed 28 January 2009

It was a horrible experience, a nightmare.
I saw all the bad reviews about this place only (unfortunately) right after I booked the hotel for 6 nights (the most expensive room they have),so I didn't expect so much before I got there.
but still, after6 years of traveling in south east Asia (second time at the Philippines)
including 2.5 years of living in China. I HAD NEVER SEEN such a rip off.
the room was old and dirty,no hot showers,no wireless Internet access,the swimming pool was small and dirty located on the back of the hotel so no one really uses it.
the hotel itself needs loads of constructions since it looks so poor.
the management asked us to pay for things that they said are for free.

FYI- a ride from Catlican to Boracay ,including the boat,costs 30-100 PHP, most of the hotels give that service for free even (including the POTP), but then after we got there I was looking at the receipt and I realized that I got over charged for no less than 1800 PHP for transportation(one way)

Basically,we had to leave after a few hours cause it was such a poor place and such a bad experience , even after we already paid for 6 nights. without any refunds.

BTW. Boracay can offer u A LOT more for MUCH CHEAPER prices
I have no idea how the AAA association let this place charge so much!!!
the local pp were laughing at us when we told them where we stayed

good location and the staff were nice tho .
try to avoid this mess

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank erezShanghai
Reviewed 28 November 2008

I booked this hotel through an Air Philippines package deal to Boracay in April 2008. I was rather excited to show a foreigner friend of mine the island. Booking the package was rather simple and uncomplicated.
The complications started when we arrived in Caticlan realizing the hotel did not send anyone to pick us up at the airport although the package included hotel and airport transfers. I had to use the facilties another resort had at the airport to contact the hotel. The hotel was not expecting any guests at that time !!! I duly read the voucher which I had on hand. After a lengthy phone conversation and after arriving 3 hours !!! at the airport, the bus taking us to the hotel finally arrived.
I was already fuming at this time when we arrived at the hotel. I immediately lodged a complaint with the residet hotel manager who, to be fair, was very responsive to what I was saying and also very apologetic for what happened.
The rest of our stay was marred by loud music blaring from a radio from a guest residing just a room below ours. Hotel personnel and management could not seem to get control of the situation.
Breakfast was quite the same thing each day. Worse, even before the day really started, the breakfast buffet runs out of coffee. I ordered from my table and was served tea instead.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with friends