This one star review should be prefaced by saying that there were no issues at all with the cleanliness, service, location, or food at Fridays - all of which were good or better.
We stayed at Friday's for a 3 night break starting 21st February. On arrival, a number of men were standing in the pool next to our bungalow erecting a tarpaulin stating "Private Property - No Trespassing". Over half of the resort was fenced off with planks and corrugated iron and patrolled by security guards. Pictures are attached. No mention of this was made at check-in, nor were are enquiries met with anything other than embarrassed shrugs by the staff.
We were able to discover in town that evening that Friday's is currently facing a landlord/rent dispute and a court order for repossession has been issued. Some reviews below allude to this. When we returned to the resort in the evenings we were aggressively challenged by a number of security guards demanding to know our room number. Police were in evidence at the beach throughout the entire day.
Given that (i) our bungalow was truly excellent (despite being right next to the Philippine equivalent of the 38th parallel), (ii) it was a short break, and (iii) we had prepaid in full - we elected to stick it out. I can't say it was a bad mini-break because it wasn't - Boracay is truly wonderful - but I shudder to think how anyone arriving from a long journey from Europe for an extended holiday/honeymoon is going to feel. Not good.
When checking out, we were not offered any kind of explanation or apology other than 'this is a surprise to us as well'. We left an email address to allow for further correspondence from the manager. Three days later we were sent appeal documents recently submitted to the court. To add insult to injury, the documents allege that Fridays has been forced to reduce its room rates by 35%. *We* were charged in full, of course - 300 USD per night!!!
My partner had been to Friday's numerous times over the last 14 years. It was my first visit so I am not hamstrung by sentiment. Unless you have a real hankering to experience East Berlin, SE Asia-style, I recommend avoiding this place like the plague. Score breakdown as follows:
(1) Cleanliness, service, food, lacation (90%); less
(2) Condition of property (-40%)
(3) Lack of explanation/apology (-20%)
(4) Rubbing salt into the wound by sending official documents that deep discounts were being offered (-20%).
Overall score - 10%. One star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to our little piece of Paradise, home to Fridays Boracay, a resort with boundless opportunities for family adventure, productive meetings and memorable special events.Perfectly positioned on Boracay's eye-catching White Beach, Fridays Boracay is a 48 room AAA resort nestled amid meticulously groomed tropical gardens and shady coconut trees. The resort offers the convenience of modern amenities combined with the natural charm of a beachfront setting making it one of the Philippines most sought after vacation spot. Its magnificent beach front, delectable food, pleasant and inviting rooms, and its warm & friendly employees make it the ultimate choice in Boracay. Since 1982, it has been the favorite vacation place and home to all its various guests. Welcome to our little piece of paradise... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Book Philippines, Inc., Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Fridays Boracay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Friday`s Boracay Hotel Boracay
- Fridays Resort Boracay
- Fridays Hotel Boracay