“peaceful - relaxing - gorgeous - expensive” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mandala Spa & Resort Villas

Mandala Spa & Resort Villas
Ranked #21 of 149 Hotels in Boracay
California
“peaceful - relaxing - gorgeous - expensive”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2008

The service is excellent. We were more into the hotel aspect and going the island on our around on our own. But the food was good while it is a limited menu and totally focused on health.

The smoothies were great. The view is fantastic. The service was great.

I cannot comment on the spa but I have heard polarized reviews.

Overall I would recommend this to upscale clientele.

Btw, the young lady who ran the "customer service/general operations" was not only professional, she was one of the most beautiful girls I have ever seen in the world (not that this impaired my judgement).

• Stayed September 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CaliforniaExecutive

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
san juan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2008

Boracay Island is paradise on its own, but my experience in Mandala Spa brought me closer to heaven.

The great experience starts from the warm welcome given by the Mandala staff at the Caticlan airport. They welcome you with fresh drinks and cold towels. They take care of your terminal and boat ride fees, they offer flip-flops so you can change your shoes and be more comfortable during the boat ride. An airconditioned van will take you directly to Mandala spa from the Boracay port. This is where the amazing experience will begin.

Mandala spa is an amazing tropical garden making you feel so close to nature. Their villas offer privacy and freedom. The bathroom is elegantly designed but truly comfortable. The absence of tv in the rooms is such a delight because it makes you enjoy every minute of your stay. However, for those who cant live without tv, they are still available upon request. And for those who still needs to be connected, there is free wi-fi in the entire resort too.

I tried the Purification bath and it was a very interesting experience. I felt really energized after. I got to do some yoga classes, which is available every morning. For somebody rusty like me, I really appreciated the way my yoga teacher patiently guided me through it without having to push my physical limits. After, I opted for the Asian massage and the Deep Tissue massage the day after. The therapists have mastered this art as they are very gentle but very precise. I totally fell deep in relaxation after just a few strokes.

It is indeed a place for wellness because the food served in their restaurant, aptly called Prana, is entirely inventive vegetarian cuisine. The Tofu Sandwich and penne with roasted veggies are deliciously satisfying. I finished my meal with a lemon pie and tried the apple crumble the day after.

Although you might not want to leave the resort, the beach is only 5 minutes away. Should you want to roam around the island, its less than 10 minutes to stations 1 and 2.

I am already planning my next trip to Mandala. Its indeed the place to relax and recharge. The staff is very friendly and knows how to spoil their clients. Its such an amazing palce. As their brochure states..."Exprience yourself"

• Liked — The ambiance, the bathroom and the king size bed.
  • Disliked — No music in the room.
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled solo
1 Thank mySky320
manila
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2008

first of all, you have to ride a trike to go there, bumpy, bad. a rooftop in pasig would even be better. then you have a 100$ dollar massage per person. your walked into a decent looking cabana, not bad, but it was melting hot in there with the tipi inspired cabana, the heat gets trapped. You and your honey are asked to change in the bathroom, with a jacuzzi and a nice tub....which by the way you cant use, only for overnighters. come on i just paid 200 hundred $ for me and my honey!!! then you have your mediocre massage in a hot non air conditioned room. After, without even relaxing, the masseuse will ask you to go and get dressed! just shower quick cause they will be waiting for you right outside the door! man was it bad! then after paying your 200 hundred dollars they cant even provide transpo for you to get back to your hotel. but they had the decency to hail a trike for you. yes a trike! goin back to the hotel on that rocky route on a trike! yes, forget about the massage you need one again. terrible id rather got to lotus spa in makati for 350 pesos. well worth it. mandala change your location and service. id rather have a blind massage in the mall. i hope they post this, im just concerned for the nexr guests who may experience the same.

• Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
11 Thank travellerivan
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 January 2008

We had a 4-day honeymoon package and it was an awesome experience. Imagine being pampered at least once a day - yes, sometimes there will be a massage + foot scrub and zen touch - all in one day - all done together as a couple! It's true that there are no TV or computers in the villas (which is so romantic) but that's the whole point! To be one with nature, with your partner, and just enjoy being together.

When we got to the villa, there were petals all over the bed, the table, the bathtub, some on the floor - it was amazing! We had a breakfast and a special dinner every night that we stayed there (appetizer, salad, main course, dessert - the works! It was so relaxing...

But I must admit, it is very pricey so if I have to go back, I need to save a lot of money... I loved being there! Huh, I can almost smell the scents...

• Liked — Pampering
  • Disliked — Once someone was banging on our door! I wonder if he went to the wrong villa! It scared me!
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LalaineLander
San Juan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 January 2008

After making an on-line reservation, I scheduled myself to have the Hilot Trilogy (Bentosa, Dagayday and Hilot massage) at this multi-awarded spa. Josie was my therapist and she was so pleasant, attentive and professional that my experience was really great. I had my treatment at the villa of one of the owners of Mandala and was pleasantly surprised by the spectacular view of the sea from my massage bed and foot bath area. They gave me complimentary drinks and a nice 'tapis' or cloth/wrap.

Seeing the complex during the day time and night time was truly enchanting. I suggest that you try their spa cuisine at their restaurant after having a treatment to complete the peaceful yet wonderful experience. I also suggest that you get your own motorcycle (not a tricycle) ride back so you get the feel of the wind on your face as you head back to your resort.

For photos, see my Mandala Spa & Villas folder at www.robbiefrancisco.multiply.com

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The age of the facility was showing
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank Robbie_Francisco
Alabang
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2007

This was the second time my hubby and I spent a weekend at Mandala Spa and Villas. If you love to be spoiled and live a pampered lifestyle, this is the place to be. Own villa to yourselves, simply gorgeous .... and the sexy bathrooms want to make me scream. It’s away from the noisy crowd but within 15 minutes you can be right were the action is. I always come back from Boracay as a different person.

If you love to spa, this is the place to stay. The treatments and massages have won many international awards and they even have a spa kitchen that prepares the ingredients fresh for you. Yoga in the morning, massage before lunch, after siesta a sailing trip with a native outrigger boat i (bring sun-block), light diners and a super romantic bath before bedtime, I am sure you get my drift. A word of caution: vegetarian food is great and I may have lost a bit of weight over the weekend, but hubby had to get beer from the outside. (they only serve organic wines and champagne – fine with me) and hubby could not watch sports and business news--- (dvd collection only--- and hubby more time with me). Not for everybody, but moi will surely be back.

• Liked — Treatment and massages, villas and spacious bathrooms, warm and friendly staff
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2007

For my wife and I, it seemed very over-priced and only mediocre quality. The bungalows have a nice enough design, but they appeared wanting of upkeep and could have been cleaner. The location is pleasant, but not convenient because its not near to anything else, and you need to go to the road and hail a tricycle to get anywhere at all, including the restaurants and beach. This can be a bloody bore if its raining. It wouldn’t be so bad if they had a pool, but they don’t.

The rooms had wood interiors, which gave a certain warmth, but they didn’t have a homely feeling (or homey, as the Americans say). The interiors are distinctly not luxurious, but Mandala describes them as such. For my taste, they are a bit drab with sparse, plain furnishings, and skimpy and cheap on the amenities: no TV, no hot water, tea, or coffee, and a fairly empty minibar! The soap and shampoo were in cheap-looking plastic pump bottles. Don’t know about the other rooms, but we only had 1 chair on our veranda.

The restaurant was also sparse, but pleasant enough with a pleasant view. The food was fine, but is vegetarian only, and no beer. The room service is limited and is only available until 10 PM.

We have friends living in Boracay, and what concerned me the most was when they told me that they heard Mandala had quite a few thefts, and apparently some of those robberies happened when the guest s were in their rooms, asleep. That was not comforting, to say the least! (What would have happened if they woke up with a robbery in-progrress?!)

In fairness, I think their location makes security very challenging. Presumably, times may have changed, and there was probably a time in Boracay, not too long ago, when one need not be concerned about robberies.

On a good note, the staff are very pleasant and my wife said that the spa was ok (she didn't rave, however), but I didn’t try it, so can’t comment further.

All in all, it was certainly not the best value (actually, not even good value) for the money. We prefer Nami and Fridays, and anyway, this year we noticed that there are a lot of new spas in Boracay. Next year, Shangri-la and Chi Spa will open, and I’m sure it will be gargantuan and an utter anomaly in Boracay – but I’m looking forward to trying it! ;-P

• Stayed August 2007