“A budget place in paradise”

Frendz Resort Boracay
Ranked #13 of 145 Hotels in Boracay
Hellevoetsluis
“A budget place in paradise”
Reviewed 26 February 2008

Frendz resort is indeed a nice place like all the other former guests describe in other reviews. The thing I liked the most was the secluded setting away from the beach and its noises at night, but very close to ever-present and ever-awake roosters (use earplugs!).

Even though I booked a dorm bed at 500 pesos, the friendly staff at reception will let you have the room to yourself if possible (even in high season). When you have a place to sleep in Boracay paradise for that price, you can't complain about anything, especially not when you're staying at a backpackers.

The things I thought were not perfect were the things that can be better at most backpackers, like water pressure in the shower, non-paying fellow roommates (cockroaches), lighting and mirrors in bathrooms (always way too low for a tall Dutchie like me).

But again, the staff makes it a homely, personal place :-).

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — Cockroaches
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled solo
2 Thank Rob S

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Australia ex London
Reviewed 27 January 2008

I can highly recommend this hotel to those travellers on a budget, I enjoyed the atmosphere of frendz, its very close to the beach yet back enough so you get away from the nosiey beach activites. We stayed in a very nice bungalow, with a verandah which was a big plus. The staff were excellent, and helped with organising our activities.
we hope to visit Boracay later in 2008, having been to Thailand several times, I think the Philippines is as good if not better for the traveller.

• Liked — the native style bamboo bungalows
  • Disliked — nothing was more than we expected for the room rate we paid
  • Stayed January 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank constantgardener_8
Bath
Reviewed 29 November 2007

Frendz has got to be one of the most friendly and welcoming places I've ever stayed. Great, traditional accommodation with a lovely bar, serving excellent food - choose from eastern or good honest Ozzie tucker (at very competitive prices).

The owner, Steve, goes out of his way to make you feel at home and I felt as though nothing was too much trouble. In fact the vibe of the whole place was friendly and we enjoyed several nights sat at the bar chatting with other guests from around the world.

For no charge, Steve arranged to pick us up from our flight to Caticlan, which was really welcome. It can be a bit bewildering when you first arrive and having a couple of guys from Frendz to show us to one of the crazy bike-with-sidecar taxis, then to boat that crosses to the island made it all very easy.

I loved Boracay in general (what all the guidebooks say about beautiful white sandy beaches is true) and I plan to go back as soon as possible. And neither my girlfriend or I would consider staying anywhere other than Frendz. Thanks Steve, for helping make it a fantastic holiday.

Simon

• Liked — Great friendly service and traditional accommodation
  • Disliked — liked it all
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JoneseyBath
San Diego, California
Reviewed 30 September 2007

This was one of my most relaxing stays. Steve and the staff were great and very kind. The rooms were more than spacious. Just a short 3 minute walk to white sand beaches and local establishments. I will be looking forward to visiting this resort once again in the upcoming months. I highly recommend this place to anyone who is either on a budget or just wants to get away from hotel ways of staying.

Stayed September 2007
8 Thank chezanovia2000
taiwan
Reviewed 15 August 2007

If you are heading to Boracay on any budget, you must stay at Frendz! Let's start with the rooms.. You get your own private bungalow for the price of a hostel. It includes your own private porch. Perfect for just chillin out, reading or having a few beers with friends.
They have a great kichen (especially if you've been in asia for awhile and desire to reaquaint yourself with some western food.) They also do up the local favorites quite nicely! If you are lucky, you will be able to attend a good old fashioned BBQ. Everyone chips in a few pesos and Ray the chef will do up some fish and lobster on the bbq. It was AWSOME!

They have a cool little bar area that you have to force yourself to leave because it is such a cool vibe. I spent way too much time there even with the most beautiful beach only steps away.

The best thing about Frendz is the staff and owners. Rose is sooo beautiful, professional, attentive, friendly, beautiful, warm-hearted, considerate and did I mention Beautiful? Steve is a god among men. He will turn you on to all the best values, trips, must see areas and let you know what to avoid. Above all he is just a great guy to have a beer with!

The rest of the staff are very attentive and kind. There is always someone ready to handle your every need. What is impressive is that they do this without a "salesman" type vibe. All of my encounters with the staff at Frendz were sincere and friendly. This is something very rare on the island where you get the feeling everyone is trying to sell you something. It was a nice break just have a nice honest conversation with some locals.

My trip was planned to travel all around the Philippines. But I ended up just staying at Frendz and canceling my other plans. I travel all over Asia very frequently and I have to say: "Frendz is one of my favorite places I have ever been!"

• Liked — the people
  • Disliked — I didn't want to leave to explore the island
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with friends
10 Thank scottyalto
Masan
Reviewed 15 July 2007

Our first trip to Boracay was a memorable and incredible experience, thanks to Steve and Rose, the owners of Frendz Resort. The staff was helpful, friendly, and kind, and after a very short time, it felt like we were surrounded by family. The resort itself is lovely, well-kept, very clean, and has a very authentic and traditional feeling. It's conveniently located about two minutes from the beach, and is just far enough away to find peace and quiet when you need it. The local bars, restaurants, and amenities are all within walking distance, and the staff are more than willing to help you find what you need or help you get where you want to go.
For minimal fees, the resort offers great meals, laundry facilities, internet access, and much more. You can also make plans or reservations for island activities with the help of the Steve or Rose, who will give you good, honest, sound advice and help.
Frendz Resort is ideal for budget or money-conscious travellers who still want or expect an authentic, honest, and decent experience. Steve, Rose and the staff offer the best quality and service for your dollar, guaranteed! After a short time, you'll feel like family. We'll definitely be back!
Anna and Kosta

Stayed July 2007
7 Thank Ciaccio
AliceInSthEastAsia
Reviewed 20 June 2007

If I had not been shown this resort by a friendly local man, I would not have known it existed. But I felt like I had stumbled upon the best value resort on the island.
It's located within 1 -2 mins walk from the main beach. The unmade path leading to the resort is the only down side ... but there are plans to pave this walkway as soon as the nearby construction is complete. The resort is close to the main road (where u can get a tuk tuk to anywhere on the island), it's also close to D'mall and my favourite bar on the island.. Bom Bom Bar!
The resort itself had a lovely, quiet garden setting and an outdoor (covered in) dining area. They serve Indonesian and western food.. for anyone craving an aussie BBQ - you gotta try one here - the BBQ chicken burger I had was better than any I've tasted in Oz! There's also a pool table - great for passing time if it happens to rain. The bungalows are clean and spacious, each with its own balcony. Such a great place to relax!
The place is run by a friendly Australian guy, who often checked in on me to make sure everything was ok and the other staff were always smiling and having a joke. There is also security at the front gate at night.
At the time I stayed, I was able to negotiate a discount on the room by confirming a 4 night stay, plus it was quiet at that time of year.... so it doesn't hurt to ask!
I'd definately recommend this place. I've stayed at two other bungalow type resorts on the island and this is by far my favourite. Enjoy Boracay!

• Liked — The pretty, clean and spacious bungalows with own balcony
  • Disliked — The unmade path to the resort
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo