“Not bad, but not exceptional either”

White House Beach Resort
Ranked #53 of 151 Hotels in Boracay
Reviewed 23 August 2009

Six of us stayed at Boracay's White House resort earlier this month, and while the place isn't perfect, it does have its good points.

First of all, the location was terrific. Near the far end of Station 1, it's a lot more quiet and the beach is a lot less crowded. This part of the beach is far less noisier than Station 2 (the party place) even during peak seasons like summer and Holy Week. During off-peak seasons, it's even more peaceful. The Station 1 part of the main beach is also wider than that of the Station 2 section, and the waters seem to be more attractive for swimming.

We had the family room on the second floor, which came with a private veranda/balcony that had a view of the beach and the sea. The balcony came in handy when we wanted to relax for an hour or two during the hottest part of the afternoon but didn't want to do it indoors. We also had fun using it for late-night conversations over a drink or two, even though the resort does have its own bar.

They were adding or renovating rooms at the ground level when we were there, but we weren't disturbed by any construction noises. Or maybe that was because our room was at the second floor. In any case, we didn't hear sounds of hammering, drilling, etc.

The room itself was satisfactory. There was a queen bed and two single beds, and we rented two more mattresses since there were six of us. The beds were firm and clean, no complaints there. The room had a DVD player and cable television, though we didn't really have time to use them. There was a small fridge. Wi-fi reception was clear, though a bit slow.

The bathroom had adequate space to move around in, with an enclosed shower stall so the bathroom's other areas stay dry. At some other resorts/guesthouses in Boracay, there's no partition in the bathroom, so the whole floor gets wet when you take a shower.

Showers were hot-cold, and towels and bed linen were changed every day. Housekeeping also cleaned the room every day. But after the first day, they only came to clean the room and change the linens when called to do so.

The only thing I didn't really like about the room was the air conditioner. I felt it was inadequate, and I think they should probably get a more powerful unit to satisfactorily cool a room of that size.

Having an on-site swimming pool was convenient, even though the ocean was just a few steps away. We liked staying in the pool for a few minutes before and going out into the sea. Taking a dip in the pool while having a drink at the bar in the early evening was also a pleasant way to pass the time.

Service was good. They sent a vehicle to pick us up from the port and to bring us there after we checked out. Also, we were given free drinks when we arrived; nothing fancy, just orange juice. But it was cold and refreshing.

The employees were accommodating. They answered questions and accomplished our requests in a timely and courteous manner. They got our breakfast orders right, and brought them to us at the time we specified they should.

This brings me to what I disliked about White House resort: the quality (?) of their cuisine. At best, it was mediocre. They offered just two choices for breakfast: standard American or standard Filipino. We chose the latter (eggs, rice, sausage/ham/bacon, juice/coffee) and it was nothing to write home about. Sure, the breakfast was free, but I wish they coud've made it more palatable.

White House resort isn't as expensive as its more upscale neighbors, such as Discovery Shores. But with the room rate of PhP 5,500+ per night or about USD 115 (and during off-season at that), I felt it was overpriced for what it offered. It was a satisfactory place to stay, nothing exceptional.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 November 2008

When we stayed in White House resort in Boracay. The first thing I said was "Its better than nothing" . Im not saying im not impressed nor happy but it's an average place.

If you are carrying heavy luggages, just mind the steps going to your room. The bed was good and it has nice sheets. The bathroom was ok but the hot and cold shower is not working properly, so its a bit of a problem for those people who are not used of taking cold baths. The pool was very nice and during the afternoon when its hot, its nice to take a plunge. They also have a bar if you need some drinks.

What I like most of the whitehouse was the small Huts they have facing the beach. It was so good and so relaxing. Thats where we always eat breakfast and relax during the afternoon. The beach in Station 1 where white house is located was also the best. Thats the place to sun bathe coz its so flat and white.

• Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank Angelo_The_Explorer
Reviewed 20 August 2008

My sister and her family and I wanted took our Aunt with his American family to Boracay. We booked them a family room at the Two Seasons Hotel and we chose White house because it was just one resort apart from Two Seasons.

Things we hated about the resort:

1. We had a 3 year old so it was important to have a pool. At times when the child got tired of the beach, she wanted to swim in the pool but it was not operational.

2. It was so difficult to lock our sliding doors. I had to lift the door a bit as it was not aligned, just to lock it.

3. The bathroom and room need refurbishing. For 5k a night, we expected more from this hotel.

4. Service was not good at all. They took our meal orders the night before but they were confused the next day, gave wrong orders. Food wasn't good either.

5. Apparently, the beds were not clean. They looked and smelled clean but I had about 3 clusters of bed bug bites on the 2nd night. It could not have been mosquito bites. They were different and until now I have the scars.

The only thing we liked about the place is the location. Nothing beats Station 1. And maybe the huts too, where we took our breakfast and hung out in the afternoon.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank goldfish19
Reviewed 25 October 2007

we had a disappointing 1 night stay at white house and then moved resorts. there were a number of factors:-
broken hot water - which they knew about when they put us in the room but did not let on until i questioned it, no kitchen in one of the rooms as per our booking and correspondence, no bottled water available for each of us when we arrived late at night - hot and thirsty - and surly staff...and less important things that still add to the impression such as all the other resorts sweep the beachfront each morning but the morning we were there the white house beachfront looked messy with seaweed and debris from the storms and it was the only one that was not swept clean.

the management and owners did their best to rectify the situation and offered us a free upgrade however the room they were offering was under refurbishment and looked like a building site.

It was a shame that nothing could be done. we received a full refund and we saw a meeting being held with staff to sort the problems out. thankfully we found a better and cheaper place next door. It definitely makes me wonder about the other reviews on this site....

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
2  Thank sunsandsealover
Reviewed 12 June 2007

We had our 5D/4N stay in Boracay just last week! Really, it took me a month to find the best resort for my family (I was with my hubby and 6 year old kid). Imagine, surfing the net everyday reading all the reviews and checking out photos of the place. It was really down to 3 at that time, and boy was I so glad we picked White House. I personally contacted the owners (Maggie and Amanda), not only because it's more personalized but I guess much cheaper. Too glad they gave me the off peak rates considering that it will only start by June 15. We picked the Super Deluxe room, it's located in the 2nd floor of the place. Wait, let me go through the details one by one so my review can be much appreciated.

a. Room - Yes, it doesn't have a beachfront view but you can be at the beach by 3 minutes or less! The room was huge. So huge that you can feel your money's worth! While the pictures from the site were accurate, meaning - same view, furnitures, beddings, arrangement, etc. it can be deceiving. Deceiving because it's much a better experience to having see and feel it yourself. Especially the beds!!!! They are so great that I think we've had our sweet dreams, undisturbed sleep all throughout the night! It was so comfortable, so soft and how I loved the fragrance. It must be the fabric conditioner they used in washing the sheets, or I don't know, but the point is, it just smell so darn pleasant!
b. Bathroom - Quite spacey too I must say. It could have been better if they allotted some space from the main bedroom to the bathroom to allow more space, say a bathtub could have been nicer, but just the same, we were not there to stay in the bathroom so I would still consider it to be perfectly fine!
c. Dressers/Compartments - as I've said, room is too huge that you won't have any problems where to place/unpack your things! They have a separate closet beside the bathroom wherein I jut placed all our stuff for easy access. It was like you never left your own home and you don't have to spend time finding what to wear. One disadvantage though is that you are facing a door adjacent to the next room, it's a door leading to another room which I think can be transformed to a big family room if guest will request for it. Although it is locked, you can still somehow see the insides of the other room which I guess they can likewise see us (but only if they really peeked!). And if in case they do, they can see you dressing up! I'm glad no one was booked in that other room during our stay! But still you have the option of dressing up in other parts of the room (remember, room is huge!)
d. Balcony - even the balconies are big. You can see the beach if you'll look to your left. Facing front, you can view Sur Beach resort. We didn't use this much though given that we were always out, only to smoke once in a while or to hang our clothes to dry. The lock of the sliding door is working, by the way, so safety is not a problem.
e. TV with cable - my kid appreciated this because he was the one using it at night before going to sleep. No problems with reception.
f. DVD player - we did not use this at all! If you intend to stay here and use the machine, I suggest you bring your own tapes as renting one will cost you 200pesos only for a night!
g. Refrigerator - again, came in handy during our stay. My son was in antibiotics and had to store his meds in a cool freezing point so was I glad we booked a room with a refrigerator. It has ice trays too, so you can buy your own mineral water or other drinks from somewhere else like a sari-sari store so it will cost you less.
h. Airconditioning - For those expecting to be awake at night freezing from the cold, you will be disappointed, i think because the room is huge, the aircon no longer has the capacity to cool the entire room. Don't get me wrong though, it is still cool, however, there were times that it was at it's minimum level.
i. Cabanas - this is what I loved most about the place! Imagine, dining facing the beach? that made our vacation even more pleasant! We had our breakfast there, with their great coffee, and spent most of our days just lazing around in the cabanas, while my kid was having a great time swimming at the resort's own pool. The pool and the bar is just beside the cabanas! We even had our massages there at the cabanas! It was so relaxing!
j. Food - I didn't enjoy the food though, especially the fries we ordered. Food is quite expensive here and not that lovely to a critical taste buds. Instead, we usually dine at Sea Wind, which is just right beside White House. Food is great, plenty of servings and costs less.
k. Staff - were courteously nice. Especially the guy who picked us up from Caticlan and who brought us back in. I just forgot his name...sorry.
l. Location - the BEST! Considering it's the cheapest in the area! A great walking distance to Fridays, Discovery Shores, Sur, Pearl of the Pacific. A long walk though to D'Mall but you have an option to take a trike if you don't want long distance walking.

Overall, we loved it here! The best part of white beach is in this area, less crowded and clean! I just wished though that they had nice big nipa umbrellas apart from their cabanas (like the ones in Pearl!) so guests can likewise stay and lie in the sand). We even thought of extending our stay, unfortunately place is already fully booked. But if we are to go back in Boracay, I will definitely book in this place again! Highly recommended!!!!!! A thumbs-up to White House!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled with family
1  Thank pinkdot
Reviewed 1 April 2007

Deluxe Room:
The hotel unit type rooms are behind the main house and look similar
to the pictures of their website, some furnitures maybe different. Clean and nothing broken.
Good medium firm bed ,and the AC is not noisy. No musty smell in room or closets.
House keeping is done daily. Beddings are in great condition and are not stained nor worn out.
There's a queen bed and a single bed, bedside table, cable tv, bar fridge, dresser , a small table and two chairs.

Wifi access is available in the bar and cabana area but on a windy
and rainy conditions, the sugar fine sand north of the white beach is not good if it gets inside your laptop.

Breakfast buffet is no longer being offered since it was not economical during low season,
instead a set menu of several Filipino and American breakfast choices is what you'll have.
Breakfast is served at the Cabana which its not always comfortable when its windy and drizzling
and i hope they'll utilize their function area at the back. I had my breakfast delivered to my
room on one occasion because of the weather.

Overall, i liked the accommodations, the hotel units are very close to the beach and also on the main road. General atmosphere around its neighboring resorts is also quiet and peaceful, though there is an ongoing construction (i.e. noise) at one of the neighboring resorts but that was only during daytime.

Resort: White House Beach Resort Deluxe Room 101
Price (Jan 2007) : 4,500 Php / night, breakfast included.

• Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank ryd
Reviewed 13 February 2007

Sun worshippers and beach addicts will find the location of White House excellent. It is grouped among the more high-priced resorts on Station 1 of Boracay Island. The facade, while literally reminding you of a two-storey house painted in white, is fronted by four native-style beach huts which allow guests to laze away in the shade in between dips in the water.

As I had to attend a wedding and beach reception at nearby Friday's, my friends took care of booking me into a super deluxe room which I find very big for myself. It is ideally a triple-sharing unit with bed configurations of a double and a single. The furnishings include native style furnitures, cable tv and dvd player, a spacious toilet and bath (standing shower), mini-bar and a relaxing balcony (but without a view since it overlooks the rear cottages of the neighboring resort.) The over-all feel is hotel-like the moment you close the window drapes and head to deep slumber.

However, much as I would like to give the property at least four stars, certain aspects prevent me from doing so. Breakfast service sucks. As management may have already decided to totally scrap preparing a breakfast buffet even if there is full occupancy, it was a choice between room or poolside serving of the set meal. This would have been alright, if not for the long time it takes for such simple plates to reach you. And as if the waiting is not enough, I ended up with an incomplete trays on two separate mornings. The first morning had no coffee and sauce for the food, while the second morning had spilled coffee and no sauce again for the food. I hate begging for my free breakfast because the room rate is so high (more than USD100/night) that I deserve at least a decent level of service and attention.

Another issue which management needs to take charge of is insuring that front desk is not left unmanned, especially during the hours of 6am to 9pm. Since the front liners are also tasked to take care of the guests' needs outside of their work station, double duties mean that there are frequent occasions when nobody is available to answer questions/concerns at reception.
Attention to details leave much to be desired.

Over-all, I would consider this resort as slightly overpriced if I had to cost-analyze the same services being offered by competitors to their right and left.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends